41 replies to this topic

#1 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

So I've decided to stop smoking (I've gone two days now) and I was just wondering how long I'll have this urge...

I've had one snus (kinda like chewing-tobacco) a day, just for the nicotine, and it's so disgusting that I don't think I'll start using those on a regular basis.

The reason I'm quitting is that it's too expensive, but man does it taste good?!

Edited by Grammar Police, 18 September 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#2 canuckspride

canuckspride

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

couldnt say how long the urge will last since I have never smoked...but right on quitting...its an awful habit.

#3 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

I recommend a cessation aid. Worked for me. Regardless you have to A. Be committed to it mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Every which way you can.
B. Find a way to outlast the cravings, don't let them win no matter what.
In time they will diminish.
Good luck. It's a cliche but I still say if I can do it anyone can I was that addicted. 17 years later I'm still amazed I did it.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#4 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

I recommend a cessation aid. Worked for me. Regardless you have to A. Be committed to it mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Every which way you can.
B. Find a way to outlast the cravings, don't let them win no matter what.
In time they will diminish.
Good luck. It's a cliche but I still say if I can do it anyone can I was that addicted. 17 years later I'm still amazed I did it.

Good job man.

OP, It all depends how long you've been smoking for..the longer the harder it is. Their are prescription meds out there your doc can prescribe if you're a heavy smoker..It certainly helped my friend who was a smoker for 15 years..talk to your doc about it, get help any way you can.

Try to reduce the amount you smoke, instead of smoking the whole cigarette, maybe smoke a quarter of it and toss it, gradually cut down. Every time you crave a cigarette smoke as little as possible.

Get one of those electronic cigarettes for a "healthier" alternative as you begin to gradually cut down.

Keep yourself distracted, go to the gym..find things you to do that you are interested in..get involved in sports you love. If you have kid(s) think about them and the effects you will suffer from in the long run.

Find out what triggers it, drinking? stop drinking, stop being around people who smoke...instead eat some fresh fruits every time you have a craving. You'll start feeling better about yourself.

As you begin to cut down, put the money you were to spend on cigarettes in to a jar each time..see it build up, that should be motivation enough....take that cash and go but yourself something nice.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#5 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

How to quit smoking in 7 weeks.

Week 1: Stop smoking on Mondays. Smoke as much as you want, just not on Mondays.
Week 2: Mon and Tuesday are non-smoking days.
Week 3-7: etc

Edited by SukhKular, 18 September 2012 - 06:02 AM.

I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#6 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:34 AM

Good luck, man!

#7 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

I smoked 18 years and quit for 4 now. There is no foolproof way but I'll tell you about my ways.

I found that cutting down didn't work. Neither did any aids like patches or gum. Only thing was a full stop and stubborn will. I had to be ready. The first week was the toughest, what I did was yoga breathing exercises and drank a ton of water (cleans out the system faster)

As for the urges, they'll dull over time, but you'll always be addicted. It's especially bad when you watch a WWII movie.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#8 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,515 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

I saw a few teenagers smoking out on the road outside their school and my first thought was, "Wtf? Is this 1991?"

The strage part of youth smoking is that they do it partially because they want to appear grown up, but nowadays it's pretty much the most juvenile-looking thing you can start to do these days.

Smoking? Really?

Not judging anyone, but it's freakin' stupid.
Posted Image

#9 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Why quit? It's such a grown-up thing to do and it feels so good. Just have another.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#10 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,515 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

Self-righteous non-smokers: Chances are they're drinkers. Or worse.
Posted Image

#11 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

couldnt say how long the urge will last since I have never smoked...but right on quitting...its an awful habit.

In honesty, this sort of thing doesn't help at all. Telling someone how disgusting they are for smoking is on par of trying to cure someone from being overweight by calling them a fat pig. If you want someone to quit because you are concerned for their health, then be supportive with positivity, if you want someone to quit just because you just hate smokers, then you are better to remove yourself from the equation. Not saying that's you, specifically, but there are those that do this and it has a reverse impact.

Two people I had to remove from my life were chainsmoking friends and those of the above. Both had the impact of making me want to smoke more.

Edited by TimberWolf, 18 September 2012 - 08:41 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#12 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

good job
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#13 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,337 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

I've quit for nearly a year now. I can't say what will work for anyone else but everyday I put $10 in a jar and let it build up to represent the money I wasn't spending on a pack of cigarettes each day. (The money ended up going towards a Quad and a blade for said Quad. I also drank a lot of tea and for the first little while made sure my days were extremely well planned so there was as little opportunity to have a cigarette as possible.

Quiting smoking or any substance is hard because you're dealing with addiction as well as behavior. Those electric smokes are great for dealing with the behavior while getting rid of the addiction but IMO the behavior is the harder of the two. Replace the behavior and the addiction will be easier to deal with.

I also had a cigar once a week but I don't recommend that part really if the goal is to quit smoking. It could just throw you right back into it.

Smoking is wonderful and I miss it all the time if I'm being honest with myself. Having said that I've never regretted my decision to quit. It didn't take long for me to start to actually feel the difference of being an assh...I mean non smoker.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 18 September 2012 - 08:44 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

Week 1: Stop smoking on Mondays. Smoke as much as you want, just not on Mondays.

Interesting approach, not sure of the validity of if though.

My sister used the electronic cigarettes to help her, as it was as much about the habit as the nicotine. Good luck!

I smoked 18 years and quit for 4 now. There is no foolproof way but I'll tell you about my ways.

I found that cutting down didn't work. Neither did any aids like patches or gum. Only thing was a full stop and stubborn will. I had to be ready. The first week was the toughest, what I did was yoga breathing exercises and drank a ton of water (cleans out the system faster)

As for the urges, they'll dull over time, but you'll always be addicted. It's especially bad when you watch a WWII movie.

It may sound a little silly, but good breathing will really help calm you when you're at your worst. People who suffer anxiety attacks can attest to that. Water (or a nice herbal tea, maybe non-caffeinated so you aren't replacing one addiction with another) and light exercise are also an important part to keeping you busy and help the body restore balance when trying to kick the nicotine addiction.

Edited by elvis15, 18 September 2012 - 08:52 AM.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#15 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Would not reccomend this. There's still going to be a pack of cigarettes around you at all time. It's going to make it extremely difficult to quit. The best thing for me was cold turkey. Just quit all together.

To answer you question, the cravings get worse in days 3-5. They beging to deminish substantially after that. Like others have said the habit forming parts of smoking are worse than the actual addiction. It's the habit/psychological part that will be the worst part to overcome. The actual physical cravings go away quickly.

#16 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

So I've decided to stop smoking (I've gone two days now) and I was just wondering how long I'll have this urge...

You'll always have urges, but they should diminish after time. The first month was the toughest for me. Withdrawal and 'attacks' were tough to deal with.

The bad urges stop after awhile, that's for sure.

Quit cold, eff the patches and gum and crap. Distract yourself till the craving passes.

One major thing I had to do was give up drinking for a bit as well. That was a big trigger of mine to smoke. Now I can have a glass of scotch or a few beers and the urge to have a smoke with it, isn't there, which is great.

Good choice on your part to quit. Good luck and stay mentally tough.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#17 dajusta

dajusta

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Replace the urge with something else.

Not sure what quitters use, but all that nicoret stuff?
I'm Christian
I won't judge you
No one is perfect
Only through Jesus
Will we find Truth

#18 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Replace all your cigarettes with gummy worms. Every time you reach for a cancer stick, you get a delicious treat instead.

I'm not gonna rag on people who can't quit.

I don't get why people start. I've tried smoking. I didn't find it enjoyable. Weed I understand. But cigarettes, no.

Edited by SukhKular, 18 September 2012 - 09:38 AM.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#19 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

My mom has been alcohol free for 30 years and finaly gave up smoking a year ago,. after trying multiple times.
Quitting is f'in tough.
Stick with it.
Keep healthy snacks around like carrotts and celery and such because you will be more hungry and want to keep your hands busy.

If you manage to quit it is an accomplishment to be damm proud of, so take that money you saved up in a jar and go on a vacation or buy some education or maybe a new toy.

#20 CIA

CIA

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Talk to your pharmacist. There are great smoking cessation products available that will increase your chances of quitting. the BC government has a FREE smoking cessation program. You get 3 months of free patches/gum to help you quit. Depending on your level of addiction (#of cigs a day, time to first craving of the day, how long you have been smoking, etc), your pharmacist will make an appropriate plan for you.

Yes, at the end of the day it is all about commitment but smoking aids have been proven time and time agin to increase your chances so why not use them? If you have that hand to mouth habit, then consider electronic cigs. They have no nicotine.

Congrats on deciding to kick the habit! Best of luck.
Posted Image

#21 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

Interesting approach, not sure of the validity of if though.

Worth a try, I guess. I don't smoke so I can't test it myself.

PS: If you successfully quit using this method, you owe me $29.95.

BUT WAIT!!! Special offer for CDC members: $19.95!!

Posted Image

#22 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

All I can tell you is that it's been 3 years since I quit and sometimes I still get the urge just to have one.

#23 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,848 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

You're not going to like this but... Grow a pair and have some self control.

Smoking addiction is completely in your head. If you REALLY want to quit, you will. If you're only doing it for monetary benefit or are half-arsed in your commitment to quitting, almost guaranteed you will fall back.

I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey. Best decision I ever made. Been smoke free 10+ years now. The fact is, after a couple days there is ZERO, NONE, NADA nicotine/chemical addiction left in your system. Any "cravings" you get after that are ENTIRELY in your head. In fact the hardest part of quitting for me was the habit of smoking. For months after I quit, I was so used going on break for my job at the time and having a smoke that I would subconsciously reach for my shirt pocket where I used to keep my smokes.

Self control. It's the best addiction cure there is. Substituting other substances is just a cruch and an excuse IMO... like alcoholics who become born again's or start smoking funnily enough :lol:

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#24 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

I would recommend this:

I smoked for 2 years, and in my experience, the cravings stopped a month in.

Awesome choice to quit, good luck man!

Edited by Tystick, 18 September 2012 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image

#25 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

You're not going to like this but... Grow a pair and have some self control.

Smoking addiction is completely in your head. If you REALLY want to quit, you will. If you're only doing it for monetary benefit or are half-arsed in your commitment to quitting, almost guaranteed you will fall back.

I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey. Best decision I ever made. Been smoke free 10+ years now. The fact is, after a couple days there is ZERO, NONE, NADA nicotine/chemical addiction left in your system. Any "cravings" you get after that are ENTIRELY in your head. In fact the hardest part of quitting for me was the habit of smoking. For months after I quit, I was so used going on break for my job at the time and having a smoke that I would subconsciously reach for my shirt pocket where I used to keep my smokes.

Self control. It's the best addiction cure there is. Substituting other substances is just a cruch and an excuse IMO... like alcoholics who become born again's or start smoking funnily enough :lol:

Well done on quitting.

But just because the cravings are "in your head" or not, they're still cravings, and still tough to deal with.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#26 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

I quit smoking a couple years ago, just cold turkey. But that only worked for me because it was at the time that I quit school. Obviously most people can't make such a drastic lifestyle change but see if you can make some changes to your every day schedule, try doing some different/new activities that you enjoy.
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#27 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,848 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Well done on quitting.

But just because the cravings are "in your head" or not, they're still cravings, and still tough to deal with.

Never said it was "easy", of course it's tough to deal with. That's why I said it requires self control and commitment. It's all in your head and your own mind is about the hardest thing to try and outwit. Hence why so many fail (even with relying on crutches).

It takes a very concerted effort and a ton of will power to resist your own mind's pitfalls, traps and laziness.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#28 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

I quit smoking cold turkey as a New Years resolution...still going strong. It's all in the head.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#29 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

So, if you had a better paid job you'd continue smoking?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#30 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

I've had one snus (kinda like chewing-tobacco) a day, just for the nicotine, and it's so disgusting that I don't think I'll start using those on a regular basis.

The reason I'm quitting is that it's too expensive, but man does it taste good?!

So the reason you are quitting isn't the numerous health problems that smoking brings but its because of finances? Wow...talk about getting your priorities straight.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.