The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gonna stop smoking

uber_pwnzor

You're not going to like this but... Grow a pair and have some self control.

Smoking addiction is completely in your head. If you REALLY want to quit, you will. If you're only doing it for monetary benefit or are half-arsed in your commitment to quitting, almost guaranteed you will fall back.

I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey. Best decision I ever made. Been smoke free 10+ years now. The fact is, after a couple days there is ZERO, NONE, NADA nicotine/chemical addiction left in your system. Any "cravings" you get after that are ENTIRELY in your head. In fact the hardest part of quitting for me was the habit of smoking. For months after I quit, I was so used going on break for my job at the time and having a smoke that I would subconsciously reach for my shirt pocket where I used to keep my smokes.

Self control. It's the best addiction cure there is. Substituting other substances is just a cruch and an excuse IMO... like alcoholics who become born again's or start smoking funnily enough :lol:

You're not going to like this but... Grow a pair and have some self control.

Smoking addiction is completely in your head. If you REALLY want to quit, you will. If you're only doing it for monetary benefit or are half-arsed in your commitment to quitting, almost guaranteed you will fall back.

I smoked for 8 years and quit cold turkey. Best decision I ever made. Been smoke free 10+ years now. The fact is, after a couple days there is ZERO, NONE, NADA nicotine/chemical addiction left in your system. Any "cravings" you get after that are ENTIRELY in your head. In fact the hardest part of quitting for me was the habit of smoking. For months after I quit, I was so used going on break for my job at the time and having a smoke that I would subconsciously reach for my shirt pocket where I used to keep my smokes.

Self control. It's the best addiction cure there is. Substituting other substances is just a cruch and an excuse IMO... like alcoholics who become born again's or start smoking funnily enough :lol:

I quit smoking a couple years ago, just cold turkey. But that only worked for me because it was at the time that I quit school. Obviously most people can't make such a drastic lifestyle change but see if you can make some changes to your every day schedule, try doing some different/new activities that you enjoy.

So I've decided to stop smoking (I've gone two days now) and I was just wondering how long I'll have this urge...

I've had one snus (kinda like chewing-tobacco) a day, just for the nicotine, and it's so disgusting that I don't think I'll start using those on a regular basis.

The reason I'm quitting is that it's too expensive, but man does it taste good?!

I smoked since I was 14 years old (started around 1993-ish). Never really a pack a day kind of guy unless I was drunk or high.

On August 1, 2005, my wife and I both quit cold turkey. I remember the first couple of days being pretty tough, but somehow it was all so easy. A week later the true test was on our road trip to Calgary (ALWAYS smoked lots on road trips). Didn't even have a tiny craving.

It gets easier OP. Stick with it though!!!

Cigarettes, the only legal product that KILLS half of its buyers. Good idea to quit. It's an additction, and takes extreme mental dedication.

For those smokers not planning to quit, you SUCK. Your second-hand smoke SUCKS. The vast majority of you throw your butts anywhere on the ground, polluting. You literally stink, even long after you've smoked. All of your things stink. You can't smell yourself, and you refuse to believe your regular hacking and coughing is connected to smoking, but please do keep in mind you SUCK.

Quit.

People don't understand how hard it actually is to quit. My dad quit cold turkey around 18 years ago, he hasn't smoked since, but he still gets cravings.

Although ever since people who smoke are forced outside , during the Edmonton winters when we see people that are out in -30, he doesn't get cravings for some reason... :P

I have quit for almost 2 yrs and the first few weeks are the hardest because of the withdrawal symptoms being either mentally or physical

Thankfully the physical ones go away after awhile but like a few others have said the cravings come back time to time but there nothing like what your going through right now .

The key is keep yourself distracted doing something as much as possible and hopefully with in a few weeks the withdrawals will go away and instead counting down every hr that you have gone with out a smoke you will realize hey its been a whole day with out even thinking about it .

And of course having people around you that are very supportive and understanding of the possible mood swings helps a lot

Like alcohol the urge will never go away, only diminish like previously mentioned. Good luck mate. Probably help if the prices in Canada were the same in Australia. A pack of cigarettes is around $20 here. That is a big help to people who want to quit.

First of all, unless the person was a smoker themselves, throw everyone's advice out the window. Only someone who was also addicted to nicotine can even slightly understand where you are coming from both mentally and physically with this addiction. I had my last cigarette Christmas day of 2011 and I was a smoker for 11 years with 8 of those being at an average of a pack a day.

Wether you decide to use a replacement vice, a quitting aid, hypnotism or go cold turkey, only you will know what will work best for you. For me, it had to be cold turkey. This is mainly due to the fact that I have an addictive personality and can get hooked to just about anything under the sun.

Try all your options, but make sure you really give each one 110% effort and really stick with it. No matter what, DO NOT get hard on yourself if you slip up. Being depressed will only make this crap more difficult to quit. Instead, I would suggest setting several short term goals (like not smoking for a day) and then giving yourself a good deal of self recognition for your achievement. Have you done anything to reward yourself for the two days you've gotten through so far. If you haven't, then why not? You deserve it.

The biggest part is to stay focused, not to get down on yourself when/if you slip up, and (in my opinion) not to change too much else about your current lifestyle. Too much change at once can make this journey even more undesirable and difficult.

Best of luck sir.

Edit: People comparing this addiction to alcohol or other substance addictions are silly. There is no addiction like cigarettes (hourly habit, socially acceptable). The urge to smoke is very very rare for myself but i'd be lying if I said I never get a craving here and there. They go away much faster now though and don't seem nearly as intense.

I smoked 18 years and quit for 4 now. There is no foolproof way but I'll tell you about my ways.

I found that cutting down didn't work. Neither did any aids like patches or gum. Only thing was a full stop and stubborn will. I had to be ready. The first week was the toughest, what I did was yoga breathing exercises and drank a ton of water (cleans out the system faster)

As for the urges, they'll dull over time, but you'll always be addicted. It's especially bad when you watch a WWII movie.

I quit smoking cold turkey 4 years ago September 1st after starting in 1980 as a grade 7 kid going into grade 8. My doctor told me if I wanted to live to 45, which I am now, that I needed to change my lifestyle dramatically.

I only have cravings when I drink on Friday or Saturday night. Other than that, I don't even think about them... except when I was at a hotel in San Diego last year and someone was pulling on a Marlie out front. It smelled so good!

Good on ya Grammar, and anyone else who makes the decision, for quitting. You won't regret it, especially if you are young!

Archived