The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gonna stop smoking

uber_pwnzor

So I've decided to stop smoking (I've gone two days now) and I was just wondering how long I'll have this urge...

I've had one snus (kinda like chewing-tobacco) a day, just for the nicotine, and it's so disgusting that I don't think I'll start using those on a regular basis.

The reason I'm quitting is that it's too expensive, but man does it taste good?!

I recommend a cessation aid. Worked for me. Regardless you have to A. Be committed to it mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Every which way you can.

B. Find a way to outlast the cravings, don't let them win no matter what.

In time they will diminish.

Good luck. It's a cliche but I still say if I can do it anyone can I was that addicted. 17 years later I'm still amazed I did it.

I recommend a cessation aid. Worked for me. Regardless you have to A. Be committed to it mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Every which way you can.

B. Find a way to outlast the cravings, don't let them win no matter what.

In time they will diminish.

Good luck. It's a cliche but I still say if I can do it anyone can I was that addicted. 17 years later I'm still amazed I did it.

I smoked 18 years and quit for 4 now. There is no foolproof way but I'll tell you about my ways.

I found that cutting down didn't work. Neither did any aids like patches or gum. Only thing was a full stop and stubborn will. I had to be ready. The first week was the toughest, what I did was yoga breathing exercises and drank a ton of water (cleans out the system faster)

As for the urges, they'll dull over time, but you'll always be addicted. It's especially bad when you watch a WWII movie.

I saw a few teenagers smoking out on the road outside their school and my first thought was, "Wtf? Is this 1991?"

The strage part of youth smoking is that they do it partially because they want to appear grown up, but nowadays it's pretty much the most juvenile-looking thing you can start to do these days.

Smoking? Really?

Not judging anyone, but it's freakin' stupid.

I've quit for nearly a year now. I can't say what will work for anyone else but everyday I put $10 in a jar and let it build up to represent the money I wasn't spending on a pack of cigarettes each day. (The money ended up going towards a Quad and a blade for said Quad. I also drank a lot of tea and for the first little while made sure my days were extremely well planned so there was as little opportunity to have a cigarette as possible.

Quiting smoking or any substance is hard because you're dealing with addiction as well as behavior. Those electric smokes are great for dealing with the behavior while getting rid of the addiction but IMO the behavior is the harder of the two. Replace the behavior and the addiction will be easier to deal with.

I also had a cigar once a week but I don't recommend that part really if the goal is to quit smoking. It could just throw you right back into it.

Smoking is wonderful and I miss it all the time if I'm being honest with myself. Having said that I've never regretted my decision to quit. It didn't take long for me to start to actually feel the difference of being an assh...I mean non smoker.

Replace all your cigarettes with gummy worms. Every time you reach for a cancer stick, you get a delicious treat instead.

I'm not gonna rag on people who can't quit.

I don't get why people start. I've tried smoking. I didn't find it enjoyable. Weed I understand. But cigarettes, no.

My mom has been alcohol free for 30 years and finaly gave up smoking a year ago,. after trying multiple times.

Quitting is f'in tough.

Stick with it.

Keep healthy snacks around like carrotts and celery and such because you will be more hungry and want to keep your hands busy.

If you manage to quit it is an accomplishment to be damm proud of, so take that money you saved up in a jar and go on a vacation or buy some education or maybe a new toy.

Talk to your pharmacist. There are great smoking cessation products available that will increase your chances of quitting. the BC government has a FREE smoking cessation program. You get 3 months of free patches/gum to help you quit. Depending on your level of addiction (#of cigs a day, time to first craving of the day, how long you have been smoking, etc), your pharmacist will make an appropriate plan for you.

Yes, at the end of the day it is all about commitment but smoking aids have been proven time and time agin to increase your chances so why not use them? If you have that hand to mouth habit, then consider electronic cigs. They have no nicotine.

Congrats on deciding to kick the habit! Best of luck.

Archived