The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Hiking Thread.

Armada

Just finished an overnight to black tusk and a day trip to the Lions. Both awesome hikes.

Just curious what everyone's pack sizes are, mine was about 28lbs for an overnight which included my two person tent, sleeping bag, mat, clothes, stove fuel. Not to mention, 3l water and my camera.

Though I could cut down weight on my tent and camera, I do enjoy the slightly larger tent (2.9kg weight) and photography is a hobby of mine, so giving up that would be tough.

So going back to my original question, what is everyone's packing lists? Weights? Duration of hikes etc...

Cheers

I have been going strong for 10 weeks now and have been to some of the best day hikes.

Nothing beats Wedgemount Lake so far.

11393400_10153349942450359_8971662471367

11248251_891426557570193_873054824269965

11402569_891426464236869_959554695023855

Good on you man.

Planting seeds for a healthy long life.

Great pics!

Have you done the Cerise Creek trail up to the hut? A good day hike just past Pemby.

Just finished an overnight to black tusk and a day trip to the Lions. Both awesome hikes.

Just curious what everyone's pack sizes are, mine was about 28lbs for an overnight which included my two person tent, sleeping bag, mat, clothes, stove fuel. Not to mention, 3l water and my camera.

Though I could cut down weight on my tent and camera, I do enjoy the slightly larger tent (2.9kg weight) and photography is a hobby of mine, so giving up that would be tough.

So going back to my original question, what is everyone's packing lists? Weights? Duration of hikes etc...

Cheers

Nice! Gonna hit Black Tusk after my 3 weeks backcountry trip through BC and Alberta.

Last year was my first real experience and my gear compared to this time around was amateur at best.

My friend and I are going to camp at Joffre Lake on Friday and Saturday night, so I'll be sure to share with you the weight and what I packed.

Good on you man.

Planting seeds for a healthy long life.

Great pics!

Have you done the Cerise Creek trail up to the hut? A good day hike just past Pemby.

Thanks man! Never been but that trail looks amazing. Something I'll have to check out in the winter for some backcountry skiing.

Nice! Gonna hit Black Tusk after my 3 weeks backcountry trip through BC and Alberta.

Last year was my first real experience and my gear compared to this time around was amateur at best.

My friend and I are going to camp at Joffre Lake on Friday and Saturday night, so I'll be sure to share with you the weight and what I packed.

Thanks man! Never been but that trail looks amazing. Something I'll have to check out in the winter for some backcountry skiing.

I did it in July a few years back

It was excellent. There was knee deep snow the last 500 m to the cabin as it is shades in the trees. Passed a couple hiking in skis and crossing the last creek which although a short cross, running fast and deep with snow melt. A real fun hike.

Black tusk was awesome. Still lots of snow but good boots and a change of socks was all I needed. I saw a couple using crampons but I felt it wasn't needed.

We even used a plastic bag to sled down the mountain afterwards.. Heaps of fun!

Wedgemount Lake is beautiful. One of my favourites. I went up a couple years ago in November. Waist deep snow leading up the scramble, that 3 hour hike turned into 7. Definitely worth it though.

You're going up to the third Lake at jofferys?

Black tusk was awesome. Still lots of snow but good boots and a change of socks was all I needed. I saw a couple using crampons but I felt it wasn't needed.

We even used a plastic bag to sled down the mountain afterwards.. Heaps of fun!

Wedgemount Lake is beautiful. One of my favourites. I went up a couple years ago in November. Waist deep snow leading up the scramble, that 3 hour hike turned into 7. Definitely worth it though.

You're going up to the third Lake at jofferys?

Yup, we're going up on Friday Evening and camping there for two nights. Going to test out all the new gear I bought this year before our big trip to Mt. Assiniboine, Rockwall and Glacier national park in 20 days.

Current Gear off the top of my head:

MEC 75L backpack

Saloman Speed Cross 3 shoes

Marmot Limelight 2p tent

Hotcore Sleeping bag -10C

Neo Air All Season Mattress

Power Monkey Solar Power charger and battery

Black Diamond Orbit Lamp

Pinnacle Soloist Pot

Katadyn 10L water Filter

I don't have a stove as my friend has one and I always trek with him.

Yup, we're going up on Friday Evening and camping there for two nights. Going to test out all the new gear I bought this year before our big trip to Mt. Assiniboine, Rockwall and Glacier national park in 20 days.

Current Gear off the top of my head:

MEC 75L backpack

Saloman Speed Cross 3 shoes

Marmot Limelight 2p tent

Hotcore Sleeping bag -10C

Neo Air All Season Mattress

Power Monkey Solar Power charger and battery

Black Diamond Orbit Lamp

Pinnacle Soloist Pot

Katadyn 10L water Filter

I don't have a stove as my friend has one and I always trek with him.

I still feel like I can get lighter. Besides investing in lighter gear all around.

Nice!

My kit includes

mec tvg 2 4 season tent

-10 down sleeping bag

inflatable sleeping pad

cooking pot

stove

fuel

first aid kit

clothes

2-3 liters of water

Now that all barely fits into my bag, I have room for either my DSLR which I love to bring but, it is bulky and weighs allot. OR I use that space for my food haha...otherwise my friend carries the food.

My pack is only 48L though. It is an Osprey Kestrel 48. Pretty solid bag. even when I had it loaded at around 13kg. it was still quite comfortable. even after hauling it 30km on varied terrain.

I still feel like I can get lighter. Besides investing in lighter gear all around.

Nice!

My kit includes

mec tvg 2 4 season tent

-10 down sleeping bag

inflatable sleeping pad

cooking pot

stove

fuel

first aid kit

clothes

2-3 liters of water

Now that all barely fits into my bag, I have room for either my DSLR which I love to bring but, it is bulky and weighs allot. OR I use that space for my food haha...otherwise my friend carries the food.

My pack is only 48L though. It is an Osprey Kestrel 48. Pretty solid bag. even when I had it loaded at around 13kg. it was still quite comfortable. even after hauling it 30km on varied terrain.

Awesome!

Ya, there are so many ways to get lighter. Last year was bad for me. I brought a lot of canned food which is ridiculously heavy. This year I've gone the dehydrated food way and making lighter foods like Quinoa. Try not to bring too much water, I carry no water with me except in the hydration pack and filter water with tablets or the katadyn filter bag I have.

I suggested getting a bigger pack. Its a luxury and I can easily fit everything on the inside with the exception of my camera tripod that is on the outside.

Went up the chief and watched a dude parachute off the peak.

That's awesome! Love the amount of activities going on around the Chief.

Went up the chief and watched a dude parachute off the peak.

Years back when I lived in squampton my buddy jumped the chief a lot....possibly it was him you saw. I used to hike it a few times a week. One early morning his car was in the lot so I knew he was up there....I texted him and he waited to I'll got to the top....I think I was more pumped than he was....I was right beside him when he jumped....I was so awestruck I forgot to press record on my phone to film him....it was the most extreme act I have witnessed in person.

Every part of my being would tell me not to do what he just did.

He's jumped many things before including the lions gate bridge which I saw the film of. Climbed to the top and jumped....pulled the chute at bridge deck level.

Mental.

Planning on tackling Garibaldi this Wednesday. Will be my longest hike by quite some measure that I'll be doing. Anyone have any tips or advice I should consider? What kind of things should I expect along the way?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Planning on tackling Garibaldi this Wednesday. Will be my longest hike by quite some measure that I'll be doing. Anyone have any tips or advice I should consider? What kind of things should I expect along the way?

Thanks for any input in advance!

The hike to the lake is quite easy, well maintained and busy. If you're going on the weekend go early as you might find all the camping spots are full. There are out houses with toilet paper though I am not too sure how often they refill it.

No camp fires are allowed so bring a stove. Lots of mosquito repellent and if you like, some fishing gear (small trout swim close to shore, might be able to fashion a rod with a large branch).

If you have time, hiking up black tusk or panorama Ridge is worth it. About another 3 hours from the lake. But if you go for those, prepare for a steeper, more rugged trail. And this time of year, both summits will have snow.

But yeah, Garibaldi is a beautiful hike.

Just got back from 3 day/2 night trip at Joffre Lakes. Been before but never camped so I got to climb up to Mt.Tzil and Mt.Taylor.

Pretty surreal up there. Here are some photos that were taken by myself and my friend.

11666121_894522037260645_209630680185823

11666111_894522143927301_603264634882745

11181203_894522227260626_738519764200468

11692609_894522530593929_628977069603051

11709538_894522793927236_714854804362008

1536663_894522757260573_4715536783849898

^^Pretty awesome. I wanted to go up to Tszil too but started too late and wasn't doing an overnight. Looks awesome and will have to do it again.

Has anyone done the Howe Sound Crest Trail? How many days/nights did it you spend? And is it one way or do you do a round trip from cypress?

^^Pretty awesome. I wanted to go up to Tszil too but started too late and wasn't doing an overnight. Looks awesome and will have to do it again.

Has anyone done the Howe Sound Crest Trail? How many days/nights did it you spend? And is it one way or do you do a round trip from cypress?

Definitely have to check it out. The views are phenomenal and it has to be one of the most rewarding hikes.

In regards to the Howe Sound Crest. Its a one way 29km trip from Cypress Bowl to Porteau Cove. You'll definitely have to camp somewhere along the way, unless you're fairly fit then you should be able to do it in 9-10 hours. Issue is that there's not a lot of water sources this time of the year.

Its a fairly technical trail after you pass St.Marks.

narrow_image-49218.jpg

Hiked Garibaldi a few days ago and absolutely loved it. Got a few scrapes, bruises and a little sun burned but it seriously sparked a thirst for hiking in me. Any other recommendations within a few hours drive of Vancouver? Would also like something that's a bit more 'rugged' and less well-traveled.

Still working on my endurance and coming off a back injury so something doable in 8-9 hours or less would be optimal.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like a good place for some suggestions on a hike.

What would you guys recommend for a 2 day hike? Most likely looking to start on a Friday and end on Sunday. Just looking for some cool places to go. Would really like something with awesome views! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived