The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man gets death threats after abandoning dog on Colorado mountain

Pasific Coluseum

Seriously what the hell is wrong with people. I doubt he abandoned the dog just for the heck of it. Yeah, lets kill a man because he made a life or death situation. I'm sorry but a dog's life is not equal or anywhere close to a human's. Everyday when I read these stupid headlines I just have less faith in humanity as a whole. If the guy abandoned a child on the mountain then that's a huge problem and I could see how people would be irate.

Here's the article:

BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DENVER - A man who left his dog to die on a Colorado mountain said he received death threats, even though he has paid vet bills and agreed to turn over the dog to one of the rescuers.

Anthony Ortolani said Sunday he is giving the German shepherd mix to one of the people who climbed Mount Bierstadt to rescue Missy after the animal spent eight days on her own last month.

Another hiker spotted the injured dog, volunteers co-ordinated a rescue effort through a climbing website. Rescuers found the dog bloodied and close to death on a ridge.

Ortolani is charged with animal cruelty for leaving the dog behind on a mountain climbing trip. His lawyer, Jennifer Edwards, said her client hopes to make a plea deal.

Ortolani told KMGH-TV (http://tinyurl.com/8oapmtf) he was forced to leave the dog on the mountain after the animal got injured. He said he and a friend tried to carry the 112-pound (51-kilogram) animal for more than two hours over rocky terrain, but he worried for his safety and had to abandon her.

"I don't want to give her up. I love her, but those people risked life and limb to get her out of there, and that has got to be worth something," said Ortalani, adding that he has already paid close to $5,000 in vet and boarding bills.

Ortolani was climbing with the 19-year-old son of a friend when bad weather moved in. He said the canine's feet were blistered and she was unable to walk. He said he and his climbing companion were also struggling in the bad weather and decided it was time to come down for their own safety.

"Carrying her down, unfortunately caused her more injury," Ortolani said. "She fought with me and squirmed off my shoulders, and I dropped her on some rocks and she got hurt worse. Everybody says 'Why didn't you go back?' My physical condition was significantly deteriorated, my emotional condition was no good. I thought she was dead."

The dog owner called a friend who contacted the County Sheriff's Office but was told the region was too dangerous and crews don't rescue animals.

Ortolani acknowledged that he didn't put up a sign on the trailhead bulletin board asking to be contacted if anyone saw his dog. He said he takes full responsibility for taking the dog with him on a hike that proved to be too difficult for her.

"I've always wanted nothing but the best for her, and that's why I take her everywhere with me," he said.

After Ortolani learned of the rescue, he asked for his dog back. but authorities conducted an investigation and charged him with animal cruelty.

The decision to give up custody of Missy was part of a possible plea bargain.

Read more: http://www.leaderpos...l#ixzz26rmwqgOx

What is the man supposed to do? Stay up there to die?

Animal rights activists and the like are going to be on the warpath, but I think this man did the right thing. While I value a dogs life, I too believe that a human life is more important. Thankfully, both parties were ok in this incident, making this whole thing overblown.

"Ortolani was climbing with the 19-year-old son of a friend when bad weather moved in. He said the canine's feet were blistered and she was unable to walk. He said he and his climbing companion were also struggling in the bad weather and decided it was time to come down for their own safety"

so the dogs feet were already blistered before bad weather moves in?

death threats are a bit extreme... but he does kind of sound like a moron undeserving of owning a pet. well, maybe a cat i guess, but they are basically disposable.

Before bed last night my wife was watching the PVR'd Ellen from yesterday and they had the 8 people who rescued her on to talk about what happened. I put down my book to watch that one.

At least he has been willing to put up for the vet bills, but what I don't understand is why he didn't try and get a group together to go back to help after the rescue team couldn't help. If that was my dog I would have done everything I could to get help, speak to friends, SPCA, etc, even go back on my own to at least try.

A couple hiking found it the next weekend and gave it food and water before returning just two days later with a larger group to rescue it. The dog had been up there 8 days total but the rescuers took only two days between when they found it and went back to bring it off the mountain.

http://www.ellentv.com/2012/09/17/a-heroic-animal-rescue/

"Ortolani was climbing with the 19-year-old son of a friend when bad weather moved in. He said the canine's feet were blistered and she was unable to walk. He said he and his climbing companion were also struggling in the bad weather and decided it was time to come down for their own safety"

so the dogs feet were already blistered before bad weather moves in?

death threats are a bit extreme... but he does kind of sound like a moron undeserving of owning a pet. well, maybe a cat i guess, but they are basically disposable.

Thinking about it now, if he'd paid close to $5000 in vet and boarding bills, couldn't he have offered to pay a few search and rescue guys their day's wage to hike back in with him to help? It surely would have been cheaper even with a few days off of work to do take extra care of the dog after getting back. I would have begged and pleaded to find anyone to help if I felt I wasn't capable of carrying her out on my own.

Before bed last night my wife was watching the PVR'd Ellen from yesterday and they had the 8 people who rescued her on to talk about what happened. I put down my book to watch that one.

At least he has been willing to put up for the vet bills, but what I don't understand is why he didn't try and get a group together to go back to help after the rescue team couldn't help. If that was my dog I would have done everything I could to get help, speak to friends, SPCA, etc, even go back on my own to at least try.

A couple hiking found it the next weekend and gave it food and water before returning just two days later with a larger group to rescue it. The dog had been up there 8 days total but the rescuers took only two days between when they found it and went back to bring it off the mountain.

http://www.ellentv.com/2012/09/17/a-heroic-animal-rescue/

Credit to the group that went out there and brought the dog to safety. In reading the article, the owner made so many poor choices that I am glad that he is paying through the nose and is feeling the backlash.

You don't abandon domesticated animals.

You don't abandon injured animals.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't lose any sleep if someone followed through with their threats (once the former owner had paid for his animal's care in full).

He should have died and let the dog eat his pathetic carcass.

He probably expected to do the whole, "OMG.... poor me, I had to abandon my dog. Wah Wah... boo-hoo...." thus eliminating himself of all responsibility of his dog.

Now that it has been rescued, he's all, "Poor me! Not my fault.... I couldn't have done anything. What? Call for help? Organize a group to find my dog? Oh geez... why are you picking on me now?" :rolleyes:

His excuse of being too weak physically and mentally.... I'm not an expert of hiking, but I doubt he was going up Mt. Everest.

Credit to the group that went out there and brought the dog to safety. In reading the article, the owner made so many poor choices that I am glad that he is paying through the nose and is feeling the backlash.

You don't abandon domesticated animals.

You don't abandon injured animals.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't lose any sleep if someone followed through with their threats (once the former owner had paid for his animal's care in full).

Archived