The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man gets death threats after abandoning dog on Colorado mountain

Pasific Coluseum

CAPSLOCK's meme are garbage and Magikal is waaay to easy to troll. Relax guys.

Man's a coward.

1st mistake: Taking the dog up there.

2nd mistake: Leaving the dog up there.

For those people arguing that a human life is more valuable than a dog's, you're right. But the human (in most cases) would go up there because they wanted to. The dog was taken there. It didn't have a choice.

The sad part is that when the dog sees the coward again, it'll still treat him like his best friend.

I'd have no problem if the story was more along the lines of he tried to being the dog back but failed. Instead he simply refused to try.

Leaving the dog up there I perfectly understand. Carry a 114 pd dog down slippery talus that doesn't want to be carried is not doable.

Not going back though...... that's just bizarre. It's not that hard to organize a group of people who would go get it. A buddy I know took his dog out hiking up by pemberton, dog got injured and he couldn't carry it back. He left the dog, got to an area where he had phone access, called, tweeted, facebooked and within an hour a large group of us were heading up there to get it out. It wouldn't have been hard at all to get it out if he had tried even a little. Heck, I've even heard stories of SAR picking injured dogs up.

Leaving the dog up there I perfectly understand. Carry a 114 pd dog down slippery talus that doesn't want to be carried is not doable.

Not going back though...... that's just bizarre. It's not that hard to organize a group of people who would go get it. A buddy I know took his dog out hiking up by pemberton, dog got injured and he couldn't carry it back. He left the dog, got to an area where he had phone access, called, tweeted, facebooked and within an hour a large group of us were heading up there to get it out. It wouldn't have been hard at all to get it out if he had tried even a little. Heck, I've even heard stories of SAR picking injured dogs up.

Exactly.

Leaving the dog up there temporarily, while you go retrieve some help = fine. Sensible and there's a plan of action.

Leaving the dog up there period. With no intention of going back and then just carrying on with your life. Despicable. Completely unacceptable. Cowardly. Irresponsible. Heartless. Etc.

But really, the solution is to not take a dog on treacherous hikes to begin with. Dogs don't get a say in whether they want to go or not, so to abandon them is disgusting and unforgivable. Criminal in my mind.

Dogs don't always do so great on uneven, rocky surfaces (especially if it rains or they're wet/slippery). They tend to get overly excited, move too quickly and can injure themselves fairly easily (which is why I never took my dog across the rocks/logs at Garry Point to access the water). Dogs end up with broken legs this way and it's up to the owners to make responsible decisions.

If you can't carry a 100+ lb dog back down from a hike, that needs to be thought about before taking one at all. Idiots don't think these things through first.

So much moral outrage in this thread. The guy may have been an idiot for taking the dog with him, but the people sending him death threats are even dumber.

1) The only mistake the guy did was wanting to take his dog with him on a hiking trip that proved to be too difficult. People take their dogs hiking all the time, it was just a dumb mistake.

2) He carried the dog for as long as he could.

3) Once he got to the bottom he got help as fast as he could.

4) He paid all the vet bills.

5) The dog was totally fine.

Ok he made a mistake, what should he have done after? Stayed up there with the dog so they could die together? Just left the dog to die and not told anyone so he wouldn't receive all the bad press? I don't want to live in a society where if you make a mistake but then try face the consequences and bring it to a good end, you receive death threats. All that does is to encourage people to not even come forward with the mistake (in this case, to just leave the dog to die). Stop posting angry messages in this thread and go donate $10 to the SPCA if you really give a damn.

Archived