The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MLB Star I'm SORRY For Anti-Gay Message

Grapefruits

WTF? How stupid can he be? Can someone also clarify what he meant when he said the phrase has a different meaning in Spanish? Surprised he was only suspended 3 games for "just a joke"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

MLB Star I'm SORRY For Anti-Gay Message

091812-escobar-launch-2.jpg

Toronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar has just apologized for displaying a homophobic message ON HIS FACE during a recent game ... telling his fans, "honestly, I’m sorry."

29-year-old Escobar was hit with a 3 game suspension for decorating his eye black patches with the Spanish word for f**got" -- which he wore during Saturday's game against Boston (below).

0918-yunel-escobar-getty-3.jpg

Moments ago, Escobar addressed the media ... and explained, "I feel bad, I’m leaving my team for something I didn’t intend to do. I have nothing against the gay community and honestly I’m sorry."

He claimed, "It was just a joke and it wasn’t directed to anyone in particular."

Escobar says the phrase has a different meaning in Spanish ... but when asked to clarify what it meant to him or why he wrote it ... he couldn't come up with a real answer.

Escobar will forfeit his salary for the games he will miss -- with portions of the money reportedly going to GLAAD ... a powerful gay rights organization.

This brings up an even bigger problem. If Escobar's defence is that Latino players use that phrase all the time and it isn't meant to offend, well that's even worse because there are all these campaigns to end schoolyard bullying and we're trying to teach kids that using those words as insults is not right, and now an MLB player; an ADULT MLB player is using it frequently!?

I found him demeanour to be quite sad. I understand that he couldn't make his statement or answer questions in English because he's not proficient in the language, but he didn't seem at all regretful. Regretful of getting in trouble maybe, but not about actually making an offensive statement.

At least something good is being done with his lost salary. Maybe if he joins forces with You Can Play it'll teach him and others around him a lesson as well.

I did something similar to this once, not on national TV mind you.

I remember after the Auger/Burrows incident I made up a sig to make fun of the incident. I remember taking Augers face and making the background look all pink and girly and it was great, I just needed an insult to add into the sig. I tried finding a good acronym for a.s.s. and couldn't find one, but then thought of Freely Assasinating the Game's integrity or something dumb like that (which if we use very large first letters, says f.a.g.).

Now, don't get me wrong, I fully was intending to insult Auger, just not gay people, at all. I remember uploading the new sig and looking at it the next day going wow how offensive would that be to a gay person. Honestly I didn't even think of it at the time, I needed an insulting word that I could think up an acronym and that worked.

I think that's a side effect of actually not hating groups of people, you don't even think about it. To be perfectly honest I was pretty embarrassed about who might have seen it, but in the end I felt very proud of myself for making a pink, girly, sig with f.a.g. in giant letters, and not even the faintest idea that this might hurt a gay person's feelings crept into my mind. It was as if my mind rejected all idea of hate in the world and simply didn't care to think about such things, it made me feel pretty good to be honest.

Sadly, there are people who do think about such things, I have no idea why, but they do.

I know nothing of baseball, even less of whoever this MLB guy is, but it is *possible* he really didn't mean anything by it, I can't be mad at him, I did the same thing myself.

I had high hopes for Yunel, as did the Jays staff. He's shown that he's a bit of a parader and overly cocky.. Between him and Lawrie... HOLY HELL.

Hechevarria is the SS of the future anyway,

There's a story behind this that we aren't getting.

Not that I have anything against ????!!! Sorry ????.

The real problem is people still associate the words f*g and f****t with homosexuals. The word, like gay, has changed it's meaning so many times over the course of history, and if you haven't noticed, it's happening again.

Homophobia is becoming less tolerated across the globe day by day, especially in the Western world. These words are used similar to way the word idiot is used these days. It's an insult sure, but I think it's becoming less and less used to describe homosexuals.

If homosexuals really want to break free from these slang words then they themselves also have to stop taking offence to the word and should stop associating themselves with it. For crying out loud less than 100 years ago the word 'gay' had nothing to do with one's sexual orientation.

If other words can change their meaning.....if those two words have already changed their meaning several times in history, then it can, and will, happen again.

FOR EXAMPLE : In my eyes, the guy who likes other guys, is a homosexual. The guy who runs a red light while doing 90 in suburb, risking lives, is a f*g.

The real problem is people still associate the words f*g and f****t with homosexuals. The word, like gay, has changed it's meaning so many times over the course of history, and if you haven't noticed, it's happening again.

Homophobia is becoming less tolerated across the globe day by day, especially in the Western world. These words are used similar to way the word idiot is used these days. It's an insult sure, but I think it's becoming less and less used to describe homosexuals.

If homosexuals really want to break free from these slang words then they themselves also have to stop taking offence to the word and should stop associating themselves with it. For crying out loud less than 100 years ago the word 'gay' had nothing to do with one's sexual orientation.

If other words can change their meaning.....if those two words have already changed their meaning several times in history, then it can, and will, happen again.

FOR EXAMPLE : In my eyes, the guy who likes other guys, is a homosexual. The guy who runs a red light while doing 90 in suburb, risking lives, is a f*g.

Archived