The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler/Bieksa/Lou Twitter

BuretoMogilny

Interesting story.

I have been a Canucks fan for all of my young 35 years. Born and raised in Vancouver, season ticket holder for a number of years, and was there for the entire run last year including game 7.

On my twitter account I was following the above named three. I have been pretty vocal in my views of the lockout critisizing both owners and players for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I think its ludicrous in the midst of the worst recession in my lifetime, and close to a depression, that millionaires and billionaires are fighting over money. Both sides seem to be reaping terrific gains from the sport and if anything seem like a bunch of spoiled brats.

Moreover, the median income in the US and Canada is approx 50k. So people with 50k are making these guys millionaires and they (owners and players) are fighting over the pots of gold, when many of these same people are struggling to pay bills, keep their jobs, or don't have one, and feel lucky to be able to afford to even see a game with ticket prices where they are. As a result, hockey is a release for many, an escape from the toughness of thier lives, 3 hours of happiness in a day to forget the challenges, somewhere to take your child, or watch with your child to share a passion, some family time, bonding, this is why it matters to us, we all know this. In an economic environment like that of today, its even more important, it has an impact on people not only socially but economically.

For example, there are many ancilliary jobs, in the arenas, parking, restos and bars, that will be hurt. People in those jobs depend on the game for a second job to make ends meet, or sole income, better tips on game nights, etc. These are not people making alot of money. For instance, the Panthers just laid off a bunch of staff today.

As a result, I tweeted my displeasure to the above three, not in an insulting way but one that would make them think, stating these facts, and yes suggesting that they and the owners were acting like spoiled brats and that they should feel fortunate to have people making 50k enriching them for playing a game.

All three subsequently blocked me. I opened another account and let Beiksa/Kesler know what I thought of their attitude towards a lifetime fan, someone who had spent alot of money enriching them. Lou was was the only one to respond, surprising given all the crap he has taken in this city but he regained my respect.

I actually know why the Canucks lost game seven now. For a long time I thought it was Lou. It was guys like Bieksa, Kesler, who have entitlement attitudes, are selfish and are all about the money. Blocking a fan who asked them to consider the ramifacations of their decisions on those fans paying their bills says alot about their mentality, how much they really care about fans. Bc you see, if they did care, they would take those comments in stride, and accept that there is a grain of truth in that.

I am no longer a fan of those players and I for one hope to see Kesler and Bieksa traded. Character can be shown in many ways, they have shown me theirs. I know I will get flamed for this but before you do think about what I said, how they reacted, and what it suggests about them as people.

Integrity matters.

You're kidding me right? It really annoys me when I see all these feel bad for me stories. How would you like it if your boss cancelled work for everybody, said you have to take a huge paycut, and If you don't you're not Going to have a job? Put it into perspective. And no, don't use the "but they will still be rich" argument. They earned every penny. And the Canucks players don't have time to respond to every whiney fan. High ticket prices? Of course they aren't going to sell front row seats for $50, this is a hockey crazy market with a competitive team, be happy they're the price they are and not more.

You're kidding me right? It really annoys me when I see all these feel bad for me stories. How would you like it if your boss cancelled work for everybody, said you have to take a huge paycut, and If you don't you're not Going to have a job? Put it into perspective. And no, don't use the "but they will still be rich" argument. They earned every penny. And the Canucks players don't have time to respond to every whiney fan. High ticket prices? Of course they aren't going to sell front row seats for $50, this is a hockey crazy market with a competitive team, be happy they're the price they are and not more.

Not feel bad for me, I can afford it, you're not getting the point. These guys on average are much much much richer than they were post last lockout. They are all making a fine living, and most regular nhl'ers are millionaires. Crying poor...doesn't work so well.

You do realize that not a single Canucks player has signed overseas as they see it as stealing another players job and will only do it if things look dire. You may also see that a group of players do not dictate the full decisions that the NHLPA makes in these negotiations. Just like Acquillini most likely is not really in favor of a lockout as the Canucks make a lot of money for him each year.

Bieksa also went on record as feeling bad for the people who will be losing jobs, and mentions the cutbacks at rogers arena.

They blocked your account because you were trolling them with a sense of victimization and entitlement.

These are players who have taken discounts as apposed to asking for what they would get on the open market...

A large portion of Canucks that can afford renting ice time at UBC are still practicing daily to keep in shape for your sorry ass when hockey comes back, Effectively pumping money back into the community.

Say what you will about Malkin, and Nash, etc. but the Canucks are handling this handsomely.

You do realize that not a single Canucks player has signed overseas as they see it as stealing another players job and will only do it if things look dire. You may also see that a group of players do not dictate the full decisions that the NHLPA makes in these negotiations. Just like Acquillini most likely is not really in favor of a lockout as the Canucks make a lot of money for him each year.

Bieksa also went on record as feeling bad for the people who will be losing jobs, and mentions the cutbacks at rogers arena.

They blocked your account because you were trolling them with a sense of victimization and entitlement.

These are players who have taken discounts as apposed to asking for what they would get on the open market...

A large portion of Canucks that can afford renting ice time at UBC are still practicing daily to keep in shape for your sorry ass when hockey comes back, Effectively pumping money back into the community.

Say what you will about Malkin, and Nash, etc. but the Canucks are handling this handsomely.

Vicimization and entitelement? Yes that's right thats them alright. You think the players renting out UBC makes up for all the people losing jobs right now?

Bieksa : I feel bad about the jobs lost, but its ok I make 5 million and I support the NHLPA's stance. Saying one thing and doing another - integrity son.

WOW

Archived