The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lockout Protest

clutchburr

This does nothing. If fans want to make a stand, they shouldn't care. Don't show up. Don't care. Protesting will prove that fans care, and allows the NHLPA and Owners to ignore the fans completely. You certainly won't effect willingness to negotiate. Why the hell would they care? It's about the money, and you are proving that you'd come back once it's back on. In fact, they expect you to protest just like they expect you to come back. You and groups protesting without any point or purpose is useless.

I'm not saying this is going to make Bettman say: "Oh so the fans do care! Hockey will resume!"; it's more of a symbolic act and honestly would be a fun event to have in our city, something that bonds us as hockey fans. I don't see this so much as a 'down-with-Bettman' protest, but more as a 'we-want-our-hockey' celebration.

Our last outside hockey gathering didn't go over too well, so I thought we could re-write the script with this.

I'm just wondering how weeed be sticking our nose where it doesn't belong? We are the ones that make it happen! A couple of idiots on here crying about what..other peoples passion for a sport they love..? Give your damn heads a shake man, the sport will return and ALL of us will be right back to paying 10 bux a beer and 200 bux a ticket, and if your saying you won't...wake up, you were back after 92, 05 and you will be back after this one, I say where your jersey inside out who is to tell you not to, not the clown shoes I've just read bashing this idea, maybe theyre all afraid of leaving they're mamis basements, where the govt. can't touch them! Sheeple away.. I don't live in van anymore but you can bet I will wear my jersey inside out on oct11!

Too selfish and scared to stand up for ourselves? I'd say it's selfish and shortsighted to go through with a protest like this without even having a good idea of what you're trying to accomplish aside from saying, "LOCKOUT BAD, PLEASE STOP". You aren't "telling the league" anything that's going to shorten the length of the lockout, as others have said. To do this just for the sake of "doing something rather than nothing" is like trading away the Sedins, in the middle of a rut, for 2 other totally random top line players and just hoping that it works out.

This is not at all comparable to protests demanding change in government. This is more about sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

If you're serious about this protest sell your jerseys for half their value. If people want a jersey they will come to you rather than giving their money to the NHL.

You also need to stop posting or viewing any NHL related websites (including CDC) so they take a hit from their advertising.

Good thread by D-Money in the general hockey thread about other places to boycott.

Anybody willing to do that?

I have a lot of other stuff going on to be worried about no hockey in September, October, or even November. If another whole season gets lost that may be another story though...

My version of protest, will likely have me going back to the games, 10-20 a year. But this time, I will not buy the pizza. Or the beer. Or the $4 logo'd bottle of 5c water. I'm not sure if the pizza, beer, or water revenue are "hockey related revenues" but I don't really care. I'm not buying it.

I will continue to wear my jersey, but it won't look the same. The Orca will be covered up. A plain piece of paper and some tape will do the trick. I won't cover up the "Vancouver" as I'm proud to live in this amazing city, and I won't cover up the "Linden" as I rember TL doing an amazing job to end the last version of no hockey.

Anybody with me? haha

Anyone who thinks that "boycotting" the NHL will actually happen is more naive than anyone who thinks a protest will help the process. You really expect all 2.5 million+ people in one of the most hockey-crazed cities in the world to just stop going to games? All the owners would have to do to stop that from happening would be to lower ticket prices by as little as $50 and you'd see thousands of people jumping on the fact that they'd only have to pay $350 instead $400 for their seats. And what other options do Canucks fans have? Fly to Chicago to watch the Wolves play? Unlikely to happen for most people. Go to an Abbotsford Heat game? Woopy we get to see some lackluster performances by Flames prospects. Go to a Vancouver Giants game? Yay, we get to watch our junior team lose horribly.

The fact of the matter is, die-hard Canucks fans want just that, the Canucks. Maybe a protest will extend the lockout, maybe it won't. All I know is that by sitting out there I'll be showing someone, mostly the players, that I actually care about our game. Vancouver's history has the Canucks so deeply woven ino it that attempting a boycott is about as likely to happen as Honey-Boo-Boo Child winning an Academy Award for Outstanding Female Performance.

You cynical Canucks "fans" can just keep whining until the lockout ends, but I'm going to make sure that I do something that, at the very least, makes me FEEL like I made a difference.

My protest will be not to attend a single hockey game this year, not to buy anything with a Canuck logo on it, not to support the advertisers on the television broadcasts and not to give one single penny to hockey. It won't be much but if every fan did this for the rest of the year there would never be another lock out, guaranteed!

And, yes, I am a devout hockey fan. i will watch the games on TV or listen to them on the radio but I will not support the advertisers that give their money to support hockey. Yeah, that hurts the advertisers but they are the money providers to the NHL.

My protest will be not to attend a single hockey game this year, not to buy anything with a Canuck logo on it, not to support the advertisers on the television broadcasts and not to give one single penny to hockey. It won't be much but if every fan did this for the rest of the year there would never be another lock out, guaranteed!

And, yes, I am a devout hockey fan. i will watch the games on TV or listen to them on the radio but I will not support the advertisers that give their money to support hockey. Yeah, that hurts the advertisers but they are the money providers to the NHL.

Archived