Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Lockout Protest

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#31 tmajor

tmajor

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

I have a lot of other stuff going on to be worried about no hockey in September, October, or even November. If another whole season gets lost that may be another story though...

My version of protest, will likely have me going back to the games, 10-20 a year. But this time, I will not buy the pizza. Or the beer. Or the $4 logo'd bottle of 5c water. I'm not sure if the pizza, beer, or water revenue are "hockey related revenues" but I don't really care. I'm not buying it.

I will continue to wear my jersey, but it won't look the same. The Orca will be covered up. A plain piece of paper and some tape will do the trick. I won't cover up the "Vancouver" as I'm proud to live in this amazing city, and I won't cover up the "Linden" as I rember TL doing an amazing job to end the last version of no hockey.

Anybody with me? haha

#32 SISU

SISU

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

The best protest would be if and when the season starts, nobody show up to the first 3 home games. Both players and owners take us for granted. That would send a message that would actually hurt both sides.

Imagine having a picket line set up around the arena for the first 3 home games...

#33 windiddy0

windiddy0

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Anyone who thinks that "boycotting" the NHL will actually happen is more naive than anyone who thinks a protest will help the process. You really expect all 2.5 million+ people in one of the most hockey-crazed cities in the world to just stop going to games? All the owners would have to do to stop that from happening would be to lower ticket prices by as little as $50 and you'd see thousands of people jumping on the fact that they'd only have to pay $350 instead $400 for their seats. And what other options do Canucks fans have? Fly to Chicago to watch the Wolves play? Unlikely to happen for most people. Go to an Abbotsford Heat game? Woopy we get to see some lackluster performances by Flames prospects. Go to a Vancouver Giants game? Yay, we get to watch our junior team lose horribly.
The fact of the matter is, die-hard Canucks fans want just that, the Canucks. Maybe a protest will extend the lockout, maybe it won't. All I know is that by sitting out there I'll be showing someone, mostly the players, that I actually care about our game. Vancouver's history has the Canucks so deeply woven ino it that attempting a boycott is about as likely to happen as Honey-Boo-Boo Child winning an Academy Award for Outstanding Female Performance.
You cynical Canucks "fans" can just keep whining until the lockout ends, but I'm going to make sure that I do something that, at the very least, makes me FEEL like I made a difference.

#34 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'm in.
Bunch of defeatist here.
Good time to talk up the boycott of the owner's financial interests.

POWER TO THE PLAYERS!
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#35 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

And if that dosnt get media attention maybe we can start a riot

This will never be funny, or even amusing.
Anyone who thinks this is amusing, or gave you a plus for the stupid statement should be shot with a ball of thier own sh!t.

Edited by beer&meat, 19 September 2012 - 04:30 PM.

I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#36 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

haha I doubt the cops would like that many people in a certain location ever again :P

#37 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

The best protest would be if and when the season starts, nobody show up to the first 3 home games. Both players and owners take us for granted. That would send a message that would actually hurt both sides.

Only problem with this idea is that the Canucks sell so many season tickets (around 80-90% of the arena is STH I believe) that they don't loose out financially if people don't show up.

#38 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

My protest will be not to attend a single hockey game this year, not to buy anything with a Canuck logo on it, not to support the advertisers on the television broadcasts and not to give one single penny to hockey. It won't be much but if every fan did this for the rest of the year there would never be another lock out, guaranteed!

And, yes, I am a devout hockey fan. i will watch the games on TV or listen to them on the radio but I will not support the advertisers that give their money to support hockey. Yeah, that hurts the advertisers but they are the money providers to the NHL.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#39 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

I'm already not buying merchandise. And I'm trying to avoid buying NHL 13. I'm also not buying any hockey new yearbooks or anything like that.

I might donate some of my jersey's to charity.

I am buying Vancouver Giants merchandise though. :)
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#40 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

My protest will be not to attend a single hockey game this year, not to buy anything with a Canuck logo on it, not to support the advertisers on the television broadcasts and not to give one single penny to hockey. It won't be much but if every fan did this for the rest of the year there would never be another lock out, guaranteed!

And, yes, I am a devout hockey fan. i will watch the games on TV or listen to them on the radio but I will not support the advertisers that give their money to support hockey. Yeah, that hurts the advertisers but they are the money providers to the NHL.

Totally agree and this has been my life long mantra-no tv,just radio and support the players no matter which NHL team they play on.

#41 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

Pass.

No point being like those Occupy retards. They have accomplished what, exactly?

Why don't you go read about them and why they were (and still are) doing it, and you'll see what it's all about instead of jumping to dumb conclusions.

It's stupid to even compare the two really.
Hockey is entertainment.
Occupy is about things that are actually important in the world. Things that will come to affect everybody one day.
Get a clue.

Dank2013_zps1833a257.jpg

#42 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Why don't you go read about them and why they were (and still are) doing it, and you'll see what it's all about instead of jumping to dumb conclusions.

It's stupid to even compare the two really.
Hockey is entertainment.
Occupy is about things that are actually important in the world. Things that will come to affect everybody one day.
Get a clue.

You would be protesting for the same reasons ultimately. Greed. Durrr.

Occupy: Different local groups have different foci, but among the prime concerns is the claim that large corporations and the global financial system control the world in a way that disproportionately benefits a minority, undermines democracy and is unstable.

Lockout protests: Owners wanting to pay less to players being the biggest reason.

Kay, thanks for playing, chief.
Posted Image

#43 That Commentator

That Commentator

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm just wondering how weeed be sticking our nose where it doesn't belong? We are the ones that make it happen! A couple of idiots on here crying about what..other peoples passion for a sport they love..? Give your damn heads a shake man, the sport will return and ALL of us will be right back to paying 10 bux a beer and 200 bux a ticket, and if your saying you won't...wake up, you were back after 92, 05 and you will be back after this one, I say where your jersey inside out who is to tell you not to, not the clown shoes I've just read bashing this idea, maybe theyre all afraid of leaving they're mamis basements, where the govt. can't touch them! Sheeple away.. I don't live in van anymore but you can bet I will wear my jersey inside out on oct11!

If anything this is our biz, what is not..is anything to do with the govt. because as much as you believe you have a voice, you do not! It's people like you that I wouldn't count on. Ya people like the op we need more of, quit being so damn serious!

You've completely missed the point. We pay for the tickets and overpriced food/booze/arena parking... so what? The lockout is happening because the league and players haven't managed to agree on the terms for a new CBA. It has nothing to do with the fans beyond the fact that some teams in the US don't have enough of them, so they're losing money and someone has to bail them out. Hence, it really has nothing to do with us and a protest here isn't going to do anything. It's not a lack of support from hockey cities that's causing the lockout. I hope that wasn't too much logic for you to follow, considering how your posts are all over the place. You call the people who disagree with you "sheeple" when we actually have reasons for this being a bad idea, but I would say you're more of a sheep when the only point you've made is "WE'RE PASSIONATE" and you don't even suggest how this could actually make a difference.

#44 ruffdeezy

ruffdeezy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

I am a huge canucks fan, I would never disrespect my jersey and turn it inside out. The fans are fans of the teams and players. Wearing your jersey with pride doesn't mean you are supporting the owners.

#45 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Fail ! My post was right on point I speak of the govt. because the govt. was spoke of! The lockout is happening because owners want more and the players want more..what exactly is your argument? I'm simply agreeing with the op and disagreeing with you! I'm saying we all paid the se prices and will continue to when the jockey is back now fuc off and have a nice day

You've completely missed the point. We pay for the tickets and overpriced food/booze/arena parking... so what? The lockout is happening because the league and players haven't managed to agree on the terms for a new CBA. It has nothing to do with the fans beyond the fact that some teams in the US don't have enough of them, so they're losing money and someone has to bail them out. Hence, it really has nothing to do with us and a protest here isn't going to do anything. It's not a lack of support from hockey cities that's causing the lockout. I hope that wasn't too much logic for you to follow, considering how your posts are all over the place. You call the people who disagree with you "sheeple" when we actually have reasons for this being a bad idea, but I would say you're more of a sheep when the only point you've made is "WE'RE PASSIONATE" and you don't even suggest how this could actually make a difference.

Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#46 light_kun

light_kun

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

When did the Canucks do something like this at practice? is there an article or photo I can see?

Posted Image

http://www.vancouver...6317/story.html

http://www.vancouver...0839/story.html

More discussion on it at HFBoards
http://hfboards.hock....php?p=54459719

#47 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Well my point good sir, is that those "retards" you so ignorantly referred to, are doing more for the world, than hockey players/owners are able to, or care to. Though I am NOT one of these people, I do do at least respect their cause.

So in those regards, thanks for playing as well, chief.

What gets me riled, is that people can get so passionate about saving hockey yet be so passive when it comes to the slow decline of democracy and equality.

Though I'm a great lover of this sport, maybe it's better that it's shut down, so people can realize whats going on outside.

Bottom line: if people want to make a difference, they have to make an effort. Make a vow, not to spend ANY MONEY of NHL tickets/merchandise, and see what kind of impact that will spark. They certainly can't argue about money if we don't give them any.

Dank2013_zps1833a257.jpg

#48 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

The league made about 3 billion dollars last year.
To me the majority of the money should go to the guys on the ice, providing the entertainment. So this horse sh** about them having to take an unfair cut is less about greedy players to than it is about greedy business men.

Cash should go to the players... you know, the soldiers on the front line taking the hits. The ones who fork out the RISK.
Not the wealthy turds at the top who line their pockets with more and more cash! To hell with them. When I make a bad investment I pay for it. Why they don't think THEY should is GREED at it's best.

The NHLPA at least made an offer to help lower bracket teams ...even though players don't have control over where the NHL puts up a team. So why the hell should they be liable for them?

Anyways, ALL these people make so much damn money, there should have been a solution by now, so to hell with them all.
I won't be buying any NHL crap for years and I definitely won't see a game. Let them pay hard for this 3rd lockout so it never happens again.

They can't argue over profits if they don't get any.

So in objection to your original quote, I'd say it DOES have to do with the fans.

Dank2013_zps1833a257.jpg

#49 That Commentator

That Commentator

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

The league made about 3 billion dollars last year.
To me the majority of the money should go to the guys on the ice, providing the entertainment. So this horse sh** about them having to take an unfair cut is less about greedy players to than it is about greedy business men.

Cash should go to the players... you know, the soldiers on the front line taking the hits. The ones who fork out the RISK.
Not the wealthy turds at the top who line their pockets with more and more cash! To hell with them. When I make a bad investment I pay for it. Why they don't think THEY should is GREED at it's best.

The NHLPA at least made an offer to help lower bracket teams ...even though players don't have control over where the NHL puts up a team. So why the hell should they be liable for them?

Anyways, ALL these people make so much damn money, there should have been a solution by now, so to hell with them all.
I won't be buying any NHL crap for years and I definitely won't see a game. Let them pay hard for this 3rd lockout so it never happens again.

They can't argue over profits if they don't get any.

So in objection to your original quote, I'd say it DOES have to do with the fans.

The way you presented this post makes it sound, at first, like you think that the owners' cut goes directly into their pockets. Obviously it doesn't. It goes to the various expenses, which includes the salaries of the organization's employees. I would imagine that you think these people deserve to be paid as well, even if they aren't on the ice.

Yes, players risk their bodies, but you're kidding yourself if you're suggesting that the owners don't risk their money, unless you're not even going to acknowledge the teams that are losing money. And you did acknowledge them.

Sure, it's not the players that opt for the creation of the bottom-feeding teams. So what? If these teams' existence is such a problem, then there needs to be a viable solution. You can't just "punish" all of the owners for it. That's going to affect the players too.

I like to look at the 2 extremes of what would happen with the revenue split up differently:
1. If the players take a bigger piece, this means that a lot of the teams are losing money. Teams will start going bankrupt, and depending on the split, you'll end up with only a few teams. You'll then have a mere handful of players that are played extremely well, and then you'll start hating on THEM because of the ridiculous salaries that they earn. Overall, it's pretty crappy for the players because the mass majority of them will never come close to making it in the league. Players like Alex Burrows Would never exist in this league.
2. If the owners take a bigger piece, it becomes much easier to support expansion teams. The number of teams will grow, average salary goes down, and you have some pretty crappy players in the league. Elite players will be less likely to play in the NHL because they can earn bigger paycheques elsewhere.

Neither of these is ideal, of course... some sort of balance is best. But I think it's hard to argue that it's only the owners that are too greedy when both sides just want more for themselves, and the sport can't really thrive without the owners.

Fail ! My post was right on point I speak of the govt. because the govt. was spoke of! The lockout is happening because owners want more and the players want more..what exactly is your argument? I'm simply agreeing with the op and disagreeing with you! I'm saying we all paid the se prices and will continue to when the jockey is back now fuc off and have a nice day

Can you try responding to my posts when you're sober? And try reading them first. My original post was a response to someone suggesting that a peaceful protest happening in Egypt was comparable to this situation, and all I said was that the 2 situations aren't comparable. You're the one who went on a nonsensical rant about how we don't have a voice when it comes to government which has absolutely nothing to do with anything that I said. Is "government" a trigger word for you or something? It wasn't even about OUR government. Last time I checked, the Canucks don't play in Egypt.

I already stated my argument, as did a lot of other people. My point was in my original post, the sentence after the one that had "government" in it. Yes, those were 2 separate sentences. My point is that the idea this whole "protest" involves sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. Like I said, it's a dispute between the players and the owners. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not we're buying tickets or going to buy tickets. Yeah, I agree with you that we'll keep paying the ticket prices, which is exactly what I said in my response. So how does this protest help the NHL and NHLPA reach common grounds any quicker? It doesn't! That's why this sort of protest is pointless. If you have a legitimate point that refutes this then I'd like to hear it, but all I'm seeing from you is responses to points that I never made.

#50 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

great idea

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#51 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

I would love nothing more than to see this happen.. of course it never would since people would be falling all over each other for tickets regardless of the situation, but I believe that doing this leaguewide would send the strongest message possible.

all the rest of this protest mumbo jumbo is just that.. fluff. nothing will make a difference unless everyone unites and boycotts the first couple games of the next season whenever that may be..

Edited by Scoobydooby, 21 September 2012 - 11:31 PM.

Posted Image

#52 MisterShipwreck

MisterShipwreck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Sig by RK17

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.