Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Top Playmakers of All-Time (H.Sedin #10)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

Congrats to Henrik Sedin for making #10 on the list of all time best playmakers. It's a huge deal, when you consider all the greats in history, and those that didn't make the cut...

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Although I think they should have stuck to retired players for this list, it's a big honour for him.

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

Henrik is great, a superstar in his own rights, but he is not one of the top 10 playmakers of all-time.
They also don't have Ron Francis, the player with the 2nd most assists all time.
This list is actually fairly bad.

Jagermeister.jpg

#3 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,164 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

Henrik Sedin is 83rd on the all-time list for assists (65th amongst forwards) but I assume Henrik will put up another 70, 60, 60, 40 and 40 assist season to finish with around 900 assists (1000 isn't impossible) which would sit him at around 11th all-time (9th amongst forwards).

So in that respects, this list is bang-on. Plus, and most importantly of all, I almost guarantee you that most of the passes Gretzky, Francis and Messier got away with during their era would not end up as goals nowadays, whereas Henrik would have feasted off the open-ice of the 80's and early 90's. Think of the precision and perfectness a pass needs nowadays, compared to the Gretzky era where defenders were floppy and lose, and goalies were nowhere near as good as they are now.

On a pure-skill and raw-talent base, Henrik is easily top-10 if not higher. It's difficult to compare eras, but Henrik deserves a mention. He may not be comparable to Gretzky, but definately up there with Messier, Sakic, Oates and even Francis in terms of playmaking abilities.
Posted Image

#4 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

He keeps this up maybe we'll see a career Nuck in the Hall one day...(Yes Bure is in but 1/2 his career wasn't with us)

:towel:

#5 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,716 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:59 AM

I may be a little biased here as Henrik is my fave player but I think he should be ranked up past Joe Thornton, I mean come on....

#6 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Has everyone else noticed all these guys are / will be hall of fame inductee's? :bigblush:

cept Jumbo Joe... :sick:

#7 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,290 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

I may be a little biased here as Henrik is my fave player but I think he should be ranked up past Joe Thornton, I mean come on....

Joe Thornton is a superb playmaker, Cheechoo didn't win the Richard by accident.

kb71ZMt.jpg

#8 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

Wow, number 10 among the best ever hockey players to ever play, is amazing!
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#9 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,939 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

Already posted in General Hockey: http://forum.canucks...in-nhl-history/

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#10 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Orr and Lemieux should be above Gretzky on this list. Henrik and Statsny should be above Thornton as well.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#11 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,705 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

Congrats Henrik, well deserved! Long gone are the days of the "sedin sisters" and "trade the sedins for an impact player of your choice". Before the lockout, who would have thought Henrik would make a list like this? At best we were hoping that he would become a high end second line player. Sometimes I think our memories are too short, we forget about how good we have it right now.
Sig too big.

#12 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Already posted in General Hockey: http://forum.canucks...in-nhl-history/

I looked all over in Canucks talk, couldn't find it... The search button was a bad friend to me! =P

#13 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,741 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Henrik Sedin is 83rd on the all-time list for assists (65th amongst forwards) but I assume Henrik will put up another 70, 60, 60, 40 and 40 assist season to finish with around 900 assists (1000 isn't impossible) which would sit him at around 11th all-time (9th amongst forwards).

So in that respects, this list is bang-on. Plus, and most importantly of all, I almost guarantee you that most of the passes Gretzky, Francis and Messier got away with during their era would not end up as goals nowadays, whereas Henrik would have feasted off the open-ice of the 80's and early 90's. Think of the precision and perfectness a pass needs nowadays, compared to the Gretzky era where defenders were floppy and lose, and goalies were nowhere near as good as they are now.

On a pure-skill and raw-talent base, Henrik is easily top-10 if not higher. It's difficult to compare eras, but Henrik deserves a mention. He may not be comparable to Gretzky, but definately up there with Messier, Sakic, Oates and even Francis in terms of playmaking abilities.

Those aren't unrealistic numbers. Factor in the two lockouts he's had to endure as well, he breaks 1000 no problem.
Posted Image

#14 Kass

Kass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Orr and Lemieux should be above Gretzky on this list. Henrik and Statsny should be above Thornton as well.

LOL you think that Orr and Lemieux are better playmakers than Gretzky? Please re-look at all the stats. Oh also the 87 Canada cup was just replayed on TSN last week you should have watched that if you think Lemieux is a better play maker than Gretzky he put up more assists than Lemieux did points

#15 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Henrik is great, a superstar in his own rights, but he is not one of the top 10 playmakers of all-time.
They also don't have Ron Francis, the player with the 2nd most assists all time.

Henrik isn't done playing yet, so he'll only continue to rack up the assists.

And this isn't about how many assists a player has, it's about how good of a playmaker they are. There are few players in the league today that can make passes like Henrik.

#16 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Already posted here: http://forum.canucks...in-nhl-history/

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#17 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,939 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

I looked all over in Canucks talk, couldn't find it... The search button was a bad friend to me! =P

Because it wasn't in Canucks Talk, but rather General Hockey as I mentioned. It has a Canuck in it but by no means is a Canuck only list so someone posted it in General when it came out.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#18 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

I don't understand how you're able to post in every thread. I come on CDC maybe once or twice a week and I see your posts in pretty much 99.9% of the threads. Dude, how do you have so much time? Got a life or anything?

#19 IMyMeMine

IMyMeMine

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I was going to post this article too earlier this morning b/c I couldn't find it at first. What helped though was that I typed the article's name. It all depends on how specific you searched for.

#20 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Im happy for Hank and he deserves it. One must also keep in mind that a great playmaker, with no one of great skill or talent to pass to, will not get anywhere near as many points. For Hank to have Danny to not only recieve the passes but put them in the net, is also very important. It reminds me of Gretzky in his last years. He still saw the ice and could make plays like earlier in his career, but nobody around him was good enough to do anything with it. But good on ya Hank, the league under rates and under appreciates the Sedins so I'll take any props.

#21 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

I don't understand how you're able to post in every thread. I come on CDC maybe once or twice a week and I see your posts in pretty much 99.9% of the threads. Dude, how do you have so much time? Got a life or anything?

Yep, I have school, work, hockey, a night out or two every week or so.
I just have an uncanny ability to quickly post my worthless opinion where I see fit.

Jagermeister.jpg

#22 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'd say Hank should be above Big Joe, but yeah. It's an honour even if the players on the list are off a bit.
Posted Image

#23 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Looks like the author of the list didn't give it too much thought.

#24 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

LOL you think that Orr and Lemieux are better playmakers than Gretzky? Please re-look at all the stats. Oh also the 87 Canada cup was just replayed on TSN last week you should have watched that if you think Lemieux is a better play maker than Gretzky he put up more assists than Lemieux did points

LOL sit and rotate on your stats. Anyone older than 12, who actually got to watch Gretzky play would know that he got about 30-40% of his goals/assists by cherry picking/ hanging around the red line. Maybe watch a game or two and not just read up on stats. KTHXBAI

Edited by Magikal, 19 September 2012 - 08:32 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#25 Kass

Kass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

LOL sit and rotate on your stats. Anyone older than 12, who actually got to watch Gretzky play would know that he got about 30-40% of his goals/assists by cherry picking/ hanging around the red line. Maybe watch a game or two and not just read up on stats. KTHXBAI

You think I am 12? Lol sure. Now like I said re watch the canada cup. When Gretzky and Lemieux played together Gretzky set him up countless times in that. Wouldn't it clearly have the best examples when they actually play together? Oh and if he "cherry picked 30-40%" he still would have 1177 assists. If he gained that many assist by cherry picking why don't more players do that? Because by your logic it clearly work.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.