The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top Playmakers of All-Time (H.Sedin #10)

kmotamed

Congrats to Henrik Sedin for making #10 on the list of all time best playmakers. It's a huge deal, when you consider all the greats in history, and those that didn't make the cut...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=641724&navid=DL|NHL|home

Although I think they should have stuck to retired players for this list, it's a big honour for him.

Henrik Sedin is 83rd on the all-time list for assists (65th amongst forwards) but I assume Henrik will put up another 70, 60, 60, 40 and 40 assist season to finish with around 900 assists (1000 isn't impossible) which would sit him at around 11th all-time (9th amongst forwards).

So in that respects, this list is bang-on. Plus, and most importantly of all, I almost guarantee you that most of the passes Gretzky, Francis and Messier got away with during their era would not end up as goals nowadays, whereas Henrik would have feasted off the open-ice of the 80's and early 90's. Think of the precision and perfectness a pass needs nowadays, compared to the Gretzky era where defenders were floppy and lose, and goalies were nowhere near as good as they are now.

On a pure-skill and raw-talent base, Henrik is easily top-10 if not higher. It's difficult to compare eras, but Henrik deserves a mention. He may not be comparable to Gretzky, but definately up there with Messier, Sakic, Oates and even Francis in terms of playmaking abilities.

Congrats Henrik, well deserved! Long gone are the days of the "sedin sisters" and "trade the sedins for an impact player of your choice". Before the lockout, who would have thought Henrik would make a list like this? At best we were hoping that he would become a high end second line player. Sometimes I think our memories are too short, we forget about how good we have it right now.

Henrik Sedin is 83rd on the all-time list for assists (65th amongst forwards) but I assume Henrik will put up another 70, 60, 60, 40 and 40 assist season to finish with around 900 assists (1000 isn't impossible) which would sit him at around 11th all-time (9th amongst forwards).

So in that respects, this list is bang-on. Plus, and most importantly of all, I almost guarantee you that most of the passes Gretzky, Francis and Messier got away with during their era would not end up as goals nowadays, whereas Henrik would have feasted off the open-ice of the 80's and early 90's. Think of the precision and perfectness a pass needs nowadays, compared to the Gretzky era where defenders were floppy and lose, and goalies were nowhere near as good as they are now.

On a pure-skill and raw-talent base, Henrik is easily top-10 if not higher. It's difficult to compare eras, but Henrik deserves a mention. He may not be comparable to Gretzky, but definately up there with Messier, Sakic, Oates and even Francis in terms of playmaking abilities.

Im happy for Hank and he deserves it. One must also keep in mind that a great playmaker, with no one of great skill or talent to pass to, will not get anywhere near as many points. For Hank to have Danny to not only recieve the passes but put them in the net, is also very important. It reminds me of Gretzky in his last years. He still saw the ice and could make plays like earlier in his career, but nobody around him was good enough to do anything with it. But good on ya Hank, the league under rates and under appreciates the Sedins so I'll take any props.

Archived