Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOMapleLaughs

Ancient Papyrus Reveals Early Christians Belief That Jesus Was Married

105 posts in this topic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9553178/Ancient-papyrus-could-be-evidence-that-Jesus-had-a-wife.html

Harvard Professor Karen King, an expert in the history of Christianity, said the text contains a dialogue in which Jesus refers to "my wife," whome he identifies as Mary...

... Four words in the 1.5-by-3-inch fragment provide the first evidence that some early Christians believed Jesus had been married, Ms King said. Those words, written in a language of ancient Egyptian Christians, translate to "Jeses said to them, my wife," King said.

Ms King said that in the dialogue the disciples discuss whether Mary is worthy and Jesus says "she can be my disciple."

On snap.

I heard he was a hockey player for a while. He had to quit though because he kept getting nailed to the boards.

On snap.

I heard he was a hockey player for a while. He had to quit though because he kept getting nailed to the boards.

Haven't been this shocked since Rowling said Dumbledore was gay.

do the word(s) for "my wife" have any other meanings in the language used?

Wondering why Jesus had to be a bachelor anyway. Isn't 'go forth and multiply' a prime directive? Or was the need to keep women excluded back then so great that the bible was revised?

Wondering if this information will be accepted by the church.

What other fictional characters may or may not have been fictionally married to other fictional characters?

do the word(s) for "my wife" have any other meanings in the language used?

I don't think that is what it was suppose to mean, but if it is then I learned something new

There are reasons why writings like this are considered non-canonical.

Very interesting.

I believe Jesus existed, but I think the bible is a very minuscule document of his existence. So to say he wasn't married end of story, is just stubborn and ignorant.

We already know his real name was Yeshua and he spent 17 years of his life in India practicing Buddhist traditions. Why would it be such a surprise that he was married?

Because all of these comics/memes somehow contribute to higher discussion :rolleyes: