The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ancient Papyrus Reveals Early Christians Belief That Jesus Was Married

TOMapleLaughs

Matt Dillahunty. Atheist. Here's a guy who preaches his beliefs ('words of wisdom'), has tons of followers, has a radio show focusing on religion, has an internet site that broadcasts his fanatical views on religion, talks A LOT about Jesus, etc.

Sounds like an ordained minister to me.

Oh wait, he is an ordained minister. http://stephenunfilt...rchive.html?m=1

Let's face it, Atheism is a religion, folks.

Smell the hypocrisy.

Isn't there a lack of contemporary evidence for Jesus in the first place? Some of the big names of Atheism make this claim and I haven't really heard any Christians rebuttal. Either because it's true or they don't know what contemporary means. Then again not understanding what something means or how something works hasn't stopped them from arguing against it. As Dillahunty says (I quote him a lot because the guy knows his 'stuff') "There is not a single contemporary account of Jesus. How can a man of his popularity live without being documented by a single person living at the time? Frankly, I don't care if Jesus existed or not, it's irrelevant to me, but it raises serious questions about him."

It's kinda funny that a lot of skeptics say things like "How do we know Jesus existed there aren't enough sources?!" or "Can we really trust the gospels??"

And then one line shows up from 200 years after Jesus died that says "My wife..." and now a ton of them are like "Haha Jesus was married!"

Not that I am on either side of the debate but....

Many mythical Gods from ancient times have the same story as Jesus. The story of being born on Dec 25th, being born to a virgin, 3 holy men, star in the east, performed miracles, turned water to wine, betrayed, died for 3 days and resurrected is shared by many ancient gods who came before Jesus.

Egyptian God Horus, Indian Krishna, Persian Mithra and many more have same stories as Jesus but they pre date Jesus.

Ancient people worshipped the Sun. Jesus has the exact same story as other Sun Gods who came before him.

Not that I am on either side of the debate but....

Many mythical Gods from ancient times have the same story as Jesus. The story of being born on Dec 25th, being born to a virgin, 3 holy men, star in the east, performed miracles, turned water to wine, betrayed, died for 3 days and resurrected is shared by many ancient gods who came before Jesus.

Egyptian God Horus, Indian Krishna, Persian Mithra and many more have same stories as Jesus but they pre date Jesus.

Ancient people worshipped the Sun. Jesus has the exact same story as other Sun Gods who came before him.

It's a common argument but one that is made by uninformed skeptics.

Krishna was never born of virgin birth. Her mother gave birth to 7 other children before Krishna.

Many of the prophecies of Jesus were written 1500 - 500 BCE, not just after 33 AD, so actually the prophecies of Jesus predated most of the alleged accounts.

What's more important is that the accounts of other gods had their stories added and modified after the story of Christ to make theirs suspiciously similar to the story of Christ.

If you do more research, you will find out that the story of Christ is unique to the core, while only superficially similar at best.

It's kinda funny that a lot of skeptics say things like "How do we know Jesus existed there aren't enough sources?!" or "Can we really trust the gospels??"

And then one line shows up from 200 years after Jesus died that says "My wife..." and now a ton of them are like "Haha Jesus was married!"

To the contrary, having lived in that part of the world I am well informed about eastern religions. Even though I am not hindu, I am familiar with the religion. Particularly Mahabharat ,Ramyan and somewhat familiar with Gita.

Krishna was born to Devaki without sexual intercourse 3000 years before Jesus was born. She was found to be pure and selected to be mother of a God.

The stories of ancient Sun Gods are similar, very similar. All may not be born to virgins and all may not have turned water to wine but the basic plot of the story is very similar.

I strongly disagree with your comment that other religions changed their stories to fit with Jesus story.

I have neither flipped nor flopped on anything. Convenient or otherwise.

The Bible and any of these papyrus scrolls etc are all a very nice collection of fables and stories. Nothing less, nothing more.

If anything, you should look at the hypocrisy of people dedicating themselves to a bunch of stories in oft-rewritten for convenience, ancient book and when things like the papyrus come out, denouncing them for a lack of evidential truth because they don't match their existing stories lacking evidential truth :rolleyes:

Biblical pot meet biblical kettle indeed.

Archived