The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laser eye surgery

Offensive Threat

When looking into the cost of the procedure its important to know that laser eye surgery is a tax deductable medical expense. Heres the Gov list for eligible expenses: http://www.cra-arc.g...-eng.html#laser .The percentage you get back is directly related to how much you earn a year so no exact figure on that. ( the more you earn, the less you get back). If Im reading it correctly Im looking at getting about $450 back. Which is about 11% of the price I paid.

When looking into the cost of the procedure its important to know that laser eye surgery is a tax deductable medical expense. Heres the Gov list for eligible expenses: http://www.cra-arc.g...-eng.html#laser .The percentage you get back is directly related to how much you earn a year so no exact figure on that. ( the more you earn, the less you get back). If Im reading it correctly Im looking at getting about $450 back. Which is about 11% of the price I paid.

you may deduct the cost in another tax year (not sure how long you can defer) where you may be making less money and/or you have larger medical deductions

This thread is brought to you by:

King Lasik

- 'The Official Laser Eye Surgeon for The Vancouver Canucks'

lol yeah that's what I thought. Had to laff when he said 'he's the official eye surgeon to the Vancouver Canucks, it that means anything to you' and I thought...you do realize you're not on Facebook right? lol still a nice little advert for the King.

Study the different types of laser surgery available.

My brother did the no touch laser a few years ago. He took about a week to recover. I did Lasik. Which require cutting, lifting the flap, and then laser. Supposed to be a faster recovery. I was OK within 3 days. As I recall, the laser portion smelled like burning hair. But definitely you need someone to drive you home. Don't try to take the bus home...you will be tired/drained and out of it as it is still surgery.

That was the freakiest thing during the surgery was the smell. They warned me about it but when I did smell it all I thought as "oh hell whats burning so bad?"

Best decision I ever made. Went to Blaylock out in Abbotsford and mine was like $3000-4000 I think (it was a year ago, can't remember now), but I would recommend it to anyone.

I always wondered why optometrists who wear glasses don't get eye surgery. I mean, either there are things about eye surgery we don't know or those optometrists are cheap.

Theres certain standards you have to reach to get laser done. And alot of people don't want it done, simply because their vision isn't that bad at all.

I had mine done in August at Laasik MD. I was still under my dad's PBC and UBC's plan so it ended up being $2000 for both eyes.

The procedure itself was painless and super fast, but it is a little bit unnerving, and yes it does smell like burning hair. I could see alright by the next day, and my vision is 20/20 now.

I do have some issues with dryness which aren't going away as quickly as I would like and I'm still taking drops three times a day. But I was warned beforehand that could be an issue with me. They were very upfront about it during the counselling session.

Also my night vision is not as good as it was, but it's only really noticeable when it's very dark and car headlights are coming at me. It might be an issue if I did a lot of night driving, but I don't so I hardly notice.

Keep in mind that both the dryness and the night vision are supposed to get better over time.

Overall I'd really recommend it.

Had mine done at London Place about 10 years ago. Life altering (in an entirely good way).

A couple of suggestions:

-Get the surgery in the winter (less sunlight/easier to recover...plus it sucks less than sitting inside on a sunny day)

-Unless it's changed, the surgery is tax deductible as a medical expense. If I recall, I got back about 1/3 or ~$1000 of my ~$3000 surgery.

does anyone know what the time limit is to try and make it tax deductible? i didn't know about this. i had the laser surgery done in sep2011

• 1 year later...

Did mine years ago when it was a relative bargain. $1200 for both. Now it's quite the racket.

The 'better than perfect' vision doesn't last forever, (it's now average), but the pain of wearing glasses and contacts going away forever? SO worth it.

Spend the cash if you have it.

I did mine in Ohio in 2005. It was $1395 for both eyes combined. It was by far the greatest thing I ever did. I ended up with 20/15 vision. Better than perfect normal vision.

Archived