The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Ryan Kesler singled out as diver in NHL’s crackdown on embellishment

Alex the Great

Yeah the posting pictures in the locker room thing is really not going to do any good for the already ghetto-like appearance of the NHL to the average sports fan. Is this league trying to alienate potential customers fans? They should really go the way of soccer and toss divers out of the game on the spot. I'd even be behind using a 'red card' or some such symbolic expression, as I do think that method goes to the players' head more than you'd think.

If they started doing that consistently, we'd see a huge dip in diving very quickly.

Gillis had built this team to win on the PP.

What Mikey never figured out until year four on the job was that the PP was not an effective strategy to win in the playoffs.

So,Mikey let go one of the best PP d men in Ehrhoff before he figured it out entirely and then when the PP really began to suck Gillis decided to go the 'big and strong ' route and started a rebuild with Kassian instead of getting a real quarterback on D for Hodgson.Maybe he thought that was Gragnani? Sad,that.

Guys like Kesler that were a period or two away from the Stanley Cup can embellish the hit or the hook or the whatever but he is just entertaining us until Gillis gets a PP d man that can really quarterback the team again.

Maybe Edler rips it wide open this year and steps to the front of the class with Garrison backing him?

Then Ryan becomes a decent embellisher again as it will have to happen less often to win big games again.

You can't take the actor out of Kesler.He was born to entertain us,that man.

YEAH. ONLY BECAUSE TSN, SPORTSCENTER AND WHOEVER ELSE SHOWED THE SAME TWO CLIPS 47 TIMES OF HIM DIVING AGAINST THE KINGS.

I can find clips of several players diving as much he does, if not more. This all came down to 'who's in the spotlight more'. Being a Canadian team in the playoffs, Kesler got the short end of the stick so to speak.

I think that the best way to solve this would be to fix the ref's mindset on what is a penalty and what isn't.

Once they start calling penalties consistently, then none of this will be happening. But as of last season, the refs were wildly inconsistent with their penalty calls.

For instance, on December 2nd, Player Y would make a blatant dive and draw a powerplay for their team. Player Z sees this and decides to try it as well and to his delight, it works. Then, on December 3rd, Player H dives and gets penalized by the refs. But, the next week, 5 more players dive and 3 of them are able to draw a penalty, while the others are unpenalized. If you were a player, would you try to embellish a penalty a bit after seeing this happen? Of course you would, who doesn't want to give his team chance to score - especially if the chances of being penalized are so slim....

I hope the NHL introduces more strict regulations on the referees that clearly define what should be a penalty and what shouldn't. Not only would this make the games more fair but it will also decrease the amount of diving since players will know they will be penalized for doing so.

Lmao kesler the worst diver ? The bruins say hi. He may dive I dont condone it...but there are so many other offenders worse to single him out as the worst is just pathetic. The league is full of guys trying to even out calls the sack of sh..refs miss every shift in every game you really cant blame these guys for trying to get a little justice out there. Fix the refs and teach them what is an actual penalty and maybe this thread doesnt even exist.

That is pretty nasty crap,Dude.

What,Ryan somersaulted too often or Burrows made them all angry?

Maybe it was that terrible cycling game of the Sedins that turned them over the edge in rage enough to want them to die?

I got it...It must have been that nasty LaPierre that has that feces eating grin on his face when everyone is oh,so serious.

Yeah,those Canucks.Worst people on planet earth.

The problem is that, although diving will work short term, it will actually be even worse in the long term.

Once the refs have the mindset that player x is going to dive, it is going to have a great influence on the ref's decision on whether the penalty was real or not. This will probably result in LESS powerplays given to player x's team, and maybe a penalty for player x for embellishment....

Canucks lost the Cup to the Bruins in large part because they turned into a soccer team in the finals.(injuries was another). No way the NHL was going to end up a Euro soccer league.

Kesler is mentioned in the article but Henrik isn`t all that far behind according to videos posted in OP. Lu has always been LU, a known embellisher.

Hopefully our team culture changes and we lose this rep next season.

Archived