The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your Million Dollar Idea

The Hornet

What if it wasn't a slope, but more of a step? Although the ball is on a flat surface, it would still be above (or below) your feet.

Or... magnets. I've also thought that if there was a magnet in the ball it could be kept on the slope. That way you could also do uphill and downhill lies. The problem there though, would be the cost of manufacturing a new kind of range ball with a magnet in it.

On the other hand, magnetic golf balls for adjustable driving range mats could be a whole extra revenue stream.

I thought about that, and I'm no physicist, but I would think the force of the impact would be sufficient to overcome that. The magnet would only need to be just strong enough to keep the ball from rolling away.

The whole problem with this idea is that I have no means to build a prototype. Otherwise, I think it's something every driving range and golf course would want.

i think a light vacuum system inside a short rubber tee (the kind that's on driving mats already, but is the height of the turf) that tilts with the angle would work appropriately. just enough vacuum to hold the ball in place. all of the tee boxes could run on the same vaccum system, and it wouldn't adversely affect the release of the ball (it would only be a partial seal to begin with, due to the dimply nature of golf balls).

The issue with that is - you would have to have power to the mat then.

Given that driving ranges are outdoors, and usually seperated from the main buildings... that would need some more infrastructure and then the monthly cost.

If you are going to pitch this to driving ranges - it would need to be a low cost alternative that would drive business, not something that would cost money to install and run

I have an idea for a plot. A little grape finds himself in sock land, you following still? He ends up in jail with that black sock, who makes him his prison wench, and then he showers so long that he turns into a raisin. It's dark humor, the kids this day will eat these fruits right up.

Archived