The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ARTICLE] Hockey Prospectus Top 100 Prospects (Includes 1 Canuck)

King of the ES

Jensen should definately be higher up - he's already had success in the AHL playoffs with 4 goals in 6 games which is remarkable, and his game is built for the NHL.

I'm also surprised Gaunce didn't get a mention. Mistake me if I'm wrong, but he was the 2nd best center to go at this last NHL draft.

Ah, I see. Wasn't aware.

That said, based on what they've done in the AHL - especially in the case of Rodin - is anybody really excited about either of these two? I was thrilled to have landed Schroeder when we did, but it's not looking that good right now.

Ah, I see. Wasn't aware.

That said, based on what they've done in the AHL - especially in the case of Rodin - is anybody really excited about either of these two? I was thrilled to have landed Schroeder when we did, but it's not looking that good right now.

I have not seen enough games with all those players to agree or disagree. What I do know is, we have at least 4 - 5 prospects that I see being able to crack the line up and be solid players or even stars with in the next couple of seasons. So if I am right then our team is drafting quite fine. And by then nobody will remember or care about this list.

Yes.

People who actually follow our prospects,( such as myself, elvis15, avalanch, Dasien) are excited for Rodin and Schroeder.

Rodin has played ONE season of NA Pro hockey and needs to add 15-20 pounds-- but people fail to remember when he was in the WJHC, he tied for scoring with Paajarvi and Ninorrieter

While Schroeder - If it wasn't for the lock-out would be occupying the 2nd/3rd line centre spot while Kesler is injured... and is the ALL-TIME leading American scorer in the WJHC.

Why does Detroit have some many players on the list?

They let their players develop ---- Brendan Smith is 23 with 2 AHL seasons under his belt, Calle Jarnkrok is in his 4th SEL season, Nyqvist is 23 with a full NCAA, and then AHL season; and lastly Tatar has 3 AHL seasons.

One other thing to mention, as an interesting comparison, Pronman has also done rankings on the individual teams as well as the top 100. Here's the link to his one for the Canucks.

System Overview: Vancouver was a hard system to rank because they have a fair amount of talent, but there are question marks up and down their pipeline. Can Jensen get some consistency and have a big season? How high is the upside for Gaunce and Corrado? Can Connauton defend in the NHL? Will Rodin break out? How for real is Alex Grenier? Did Eddie Lack's big seasons come from his talent level, or from bringing a goalie in his mid-20's in the AHL? I could see an argument that there's a league-average amount of talent in this system, but there are a lot of things to watch for this team going into next season.

Sedin's turn 32 in a week. They were not as good last year as they were in the prior two seasons. Pullbacks can happen very quickly, and it should be a concern for any fan of this team. We became an elite team when the Sedin's became elite, which really wasn't until 2009.

Henrik's point totals dropped 16% in 2010-11 relative 2009-10, and a further 14% this past year relative to 2010-11. Is that not something to consider? His goal total from this past season was less than half of what it was back in 2009-10, when he won the Art Ross. Is that not a concern? Is that "alarmism"?

Daniel's PPG in 2009-10 was 1.35. In 2010-11, it was 1.27. In 2011-12, it was 0.93. Is that not a pretty steep drop?

It seems reasonable, given the data above, to assume that the Sedin's peaked in 2010. What this means is that we need other guys to step up, because they're probably no longer good enough to single-er, double-handedly carry this team. And who can we count on? Kesler? Not really. Booth? Hell no. Raymond? Nope.

If what I've presented isn't a sign of decline, like you say that they're not, what is it? A coincidence?

Oh no, I spelled some guys name wrong who will almost certainly never don a Canucks jersey. There goes my credibility.

And I'm not whining, but it's a stupid pick. Explain to me the logic in taking a goaltender when you've already got 2 of the top-10 starters under contract, one of them until 2022, and another young guy with a lot of hype currently starting in the AHL. It's a wasted pick. Like I said before, the smarter strategy would've been to take a skater, someone with a higher probability of being useful to the Vancouver Canucks some day.

Seriously, Joe...Cannata ( :bigblush: ) honestly think that he has a chance at making this team, can he?

As for Schroeder, his numbers are actually pretty good...

He also hasn't exactly had high end talent to play with. The Moose and the Wolves are fairly low scoring teams, but it has helped him become a much better 2-way player.

Don't be surprised if he excels at the NHL level more than the AHL level with better wingers and a more controlled and structured game.

Recycling a post I made about a month ago:

I'll go top prospects by country assuming this is before they've had NHL experience:

Canada - Huberdeau/Strome/Scheifele

USA - Tinordi/Galchenyuk (played for America)/Bjugstad

Finland - Granlund/Armia/Teravainen

Sweden - Forsberg/Zibanejad/Lindholm

Russia - Yakupov/Tarasenko/Grigorenko

Just about as qualified as this Prospectus clown. Any changes?

Recycling a post I made about a month ago:

I'll go top prospects by country assuming this is before they've had NHL experience:

Canada - Huberdeau/Strome/Scheifele

USA - Tinordi/Galchenyuk (played for America)/Bjugstad

Finland - Granlund/Armia/Teravainen

Sweden - Forsberg/Zibanejad/Lindholm

Russia - Yakupov/Tarasenko/Grigorenko

Just about as qualified as this Prospectus clown. Any changes?

KingES is one of the Hodgson trade whiners, and now is going on as if he's disappointed in Schroeder, but he loves simpleton stats, so here are a few...

Schroeder scored 21 g 23 a for 44 points in 76 games last year.

Hodgson scored 17 g 13 a for 30 point in 52 games two years ago with the Moose.

What that translates into is a slight point per game advantage to Schroeder.

Schroeder was +8 while Hodgson was -12.

Hodgson has a mere 5 lbs on Schroeder, while Schroeder nevertheless has more grit, a hell of a lot more speed, and is not an absolute vacant-case in his own end of the ice... I'd love to know what people like McTavish and Wendell Young were saying when the Canucks decided the go ahead and let Hodgson go.

I look forward to seeing Schroeder with a chance to play between Higgins and Hansen.

This "KingofEs" figure is forgetting the biggest and most important thing about the Canucks drafting ideal. The Canucks always pick the best player available in their eyes. Drafting based on current needs of the team just leads to an even weaker prospect pool similar to the Nonis days.

This "KingofEs" figure is forgetting the biggest and most important thing about the Canucks drafting ideal. The Canucks always pick the best player available in their eyes. Drafting based on current needs of the team just leads to an even weaker prospect pool similar to the Nonis days.

KingES is one of the Hodgson trade whiners, and now is going on as if he's disappointed in Schroeder, but he loves simpleton stats, so here are a few...

Schroeder scored 21 g 23 a for 44 points in 76 games last year.

Hodgson scored 17 g 13 a for 30 point in 52 games two years ago with the Moose.

What that translates into is a slight point per game advantage to Schroeder.

Schroeder was +8 while Hodgson was -12.

Hodgson has a mere 5 lbs on Schroeder, while Schroeder nevertheless has more grit, a hell of a lot more speed, and is not an absolute vacant-case in his own end of the ice... I'd love to know what people like McTavish and Wendell Young were saying when the Canucks decided the go ahead and let Hodgson go.

I look forward to seeing Schroeder with a chance to play between Higgins and Hansen.

Hodgson also came back from a serious back injury which made him miss practically the entire season before his season on the Moose. Cody had 30 pts in 53 games in his rookie AHL year while a healthy Schroeder had 28 pts in 61 games. Hodgson's Point-per-game ratio in his rookie season in the AHL was just as high as Schroeder's in his sophomore season, and Hodgson came back from a serious back injury. If Schroeder was so much better than Cody, he would've played at least 1 NHL game by now.

Archived