182 replies to this topic

#1 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hey everyone making the switch from Shaw to Telus and was looking for peoples opinions on Telus optic TV and peoples opinions on Shaw so basically pros VS cons on both of the services. Pretty much fed up with shaw on the amount of money you spend and how little you get.
GO Canucks GO

#2 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Telus is good and I haven't had any complaints :)
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#3 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,575 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Haven't had any problems at all since switching over to Telus.

307mg00.jpg

#4 Ryan Kesler RK17

Ryan Kesler RK17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Shaw is too overpriced you get the same stuff for cheaper at telus. But the only bad thing about telus is there channel order. Also internet is great and way more consistent on telus.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Thnx to Vintage Canuck. for my awesome sig

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

POPULAR

I think Shaw is slightlty better than Telus IMO.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Personally I had major issues with Telus over the years when I was a renter. When I bought I went with Shaw and have never had an issue.

I know people who have Optik and hate it. Internet goes down all the time. If they are using both internet and HD the HD goes choppy and/or the internet speed drops.

As for price, I hear Telus is great in the introductory period but after that they keep raising it. I phoned Shaw a while back and got them to drop my bill to about the same as what I can get with Telus.

Customer service is also a real pain with Telus, once you sign that contract they dont give a crap about you as a customer. Shaw used to be really bad I heard but the last couple times I called I got through within 5 minutes.

As for quality of HD and internet, shaw is far superior IMO.

Personally I will never go to a company that makes you sign a contract.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 20 September 2012 - 10:27 PM.

13yl1g7.jpg

#7 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

for quality i would say shaw is wayyy better but in terms of getting what you want for a cheaper price telus is the way to go

#8 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hehe.... You know who this is....Here at home I get really fast download speeds. Usually getting 65 mb/s. That is extremely fast.

#9 Gooby

Gooby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hehe.... You know who this is....Here at home I get really fast download speeds. Usually getting 65 mb/s. That is extremely fast.

ya riyte dolan stahp lyinng
Posted Image

#10 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm on Shaw paying to get up to 20mbps for my internet but I've been at 2-4mbps for awhile now. I actually don't know if its Shaw or something else though.

sig by Malkin71

#11 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

I own a few businesses and have at home, shaw. I used to use telus, they were twice the cost. Half the service. Zero support, and overall douchebags.

Telus has been ???? western Canada for years and I for one am glad shaw is ???? them around by offering phone services. Whoever said telus is cheaper is lying, and their service is nowhere NEAR the same. Its not even close, and before you praise one or the other if you havnt used them both then stfu.

Posted Image

#12 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'm on Shaw paying to get up to 20mbps for my internet but I've been at 2-4mbps for awhile now. I actually don't know if its Shaw or something else though.

Check your router and the cables to said router. A bad cable; however unlikely you think it may be, is usually the cause. That or a bad splitter.

Posted Image

#13 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,348 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

You also know you need a good wire to even utilise the 65mb/s as well I bet

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#14 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

I wouldn't even look at Telus if you're looking at internet. ADSL is just retarded. Optik TV sucks too if you're gonna use more than 3 TV's. I'd stick with Shaw.

#15 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

For those who are saying Shaw is too expensive: How much are you paying? (if you don't mind me asking...)

#16 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

for quality i would say shaw is wayyy better but in terms of getting what you want for a cheaper price telus is the way to go

So I guess its between quality or price. If you want quality, you got to pay up or you could go cheap. You get what you pay for.

Posted Image

#17 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

Used to be a huge supporter of Shaw, but I'm getting really sick of their unreliable internet speeds.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#18 SAnuck

SAnuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

Had Telus Optik TV and their ADSL and never had any complaints! Even rang their service team a few times and were also brilliant. I had some confusion on a bill of mine, rang up, they explained it and there was nothing wrong but due to me being confused, a new customer to their service and just good all 'round customer service they gave me a credit for the following month.

Never had any issues with internet speeds, disconnecting or anything. Always been brilliant. The service probably isn't up to quite the same high standard as Shaw but for the MUCH cheaper price (my deal is roughly $20 a month cheaper, it adds up!) it was definitely worth it for me personally.

I'm also on a month to month contract :)

#19 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:01 AM

Do either offer tv in 1080P?

seems 2160p or even 4320p are on the horizon
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#20 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

My Optik cuts out all the time, it is really annoying. It could just be a router problem but I'm not sure. However, when it does work it is brilliant, the HD is great and the internet is fast. I also got a free Xbox when I signed up :)
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#21 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

My Optik cuts out all the time, it is really annoying. It could just be a router problem but I'm not sure. However, when it does work it is brilliant, the HD is great and the internet is fast. I also got a free Xbox when I signed up :)

That is a router problem.

I had the same issue, they replaced my router, and not an issue since.

Edited by Squeak, 21 September 2012 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image

#22 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Check your router and the cables to said router. A bad cable; however unlikely you think it may be, is usually the cause. That or a bad splitter.

It's probably the splitter. My father-in-law lost some channels. Got the splitter replaced by SHAW...and it's good as new. He was also credited some $$ for channels lost from the time he phoned to when SHAW fixed it.

#23 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

I wouldn't even look at Telus if you're looking at internet. ADSL is just retarded. Optik TV sucks too if you're gonna use more than 3 TV's. I'd stick with Shaw.

Internet with telus is not "retarded". Have fun with your inferior Internet while I have amazing upload and download speeds. Also, I have 4 televisions all with Optik T.V and have not had a single problem in the 2 years I have had it.

#24 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Telus is a wretched company and despise them since they took over clearnet and called to "promise" me nothing would change in terms of pricing. So although I never signed a contract with Telus they steadily increased the cost of my cell phone every month to the point I was paying over double that of clearnet. And those that say Telus internet is superior I consistantly get 25-50 MBps download with Shaw and although I have never had Telus ADSL I don't see how it could be much faster than that.
Posted Image

#25 Kyle0811

Kyle0811

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

I've recently started to get a little fed up with Shaw, (though I've had telus and hated it, especially the internet) I have no real intentions of switching, I'm just mad that Shaw still doesn't have FX canada. I was also pretty bummed when they discontinued HDNET. Also, shaw keeps raising my bills. other then that Shaw >>>> Telus, the ADSL internet with telus was shotty and slow, and the Cable with telus was choppy and grainy, when I had the computer on watching TV on more than one channel things would be slow.
QUOTE (TheDominator)
Kyle. He's so hot right now. Kyle

#26 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

I've had nothing but problems with telus over the last 19 months. Cancelled my contract and paid the fee.
Worst company ever. CSRs are awful.
Wish I never switched from shaw.
Had to get my router replaced twice, pvr box replaced once, struggled to get the promotional item for signing up for contract because of how inept they are.
Look into a smaller company. There's other choices than those two clowns.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#27 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Telus is a wretched company and despise them since they took over clearnet and called to "promise" me nothing would change in terms of pricing. So although I never signed a contract with Telus they steadily increased the cost of my cell phone every month to the point I was paying over double that of clearnet. And those that say Telus internet is superior I consistantly get 25-50 MBps download with Shaw and although I have never had Telus ADSL I don't see how it could be much faster than that.

Hold a grudge much?

Seeing as Telus took over clearnet 12.5 years ago.
Posted Image

#28 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

Telus gave me a free laptop. Shaw charged me an extra $140. This has made me pro-Telus.

But i find Optik to be a bit better. The interface is better, but still has some ironing out to do. The customer service has been more than helpful, whereas Shaw's was a bit arrogant and unresponsive unless you directly threatened to leave them.

The internet is supposed to be slower, but i have yet to see a meaningful difference.

Both companies disguise their real charges, but that's unfortunately the norm now.

Telus has a contract though. Shaw doesn't. Shaw acts like it's a perk, but if they scam you out of $140 after quitting regardless, then what real perks do they offer? None.

Imo Shaw has some major work to do if they want Telus customers back.

After my Telus contract ends, i'd rather have no cable tv at all than go back to Shaw, regardless of their promotion at the time.
Posted Image

#29 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

That is a router problem.

I had the same issue, they replaced my router, and not an issue since.

Thanks dude. I'll give them a call, I always put off calling them tho cuz it means sitting on hold for and hour lol
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#30 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Do either offer tv in 1080P?

seems 2160p or even 4320p are on the horizon

Shaw offers some 1080p vod content on certain equipment models. Not sure about telus

Edited by cadillaccts, 21 September 2012 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.