The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus Optic VS Shaw

WillyFox

Telus is a wretched company and despise them since they took over clearnet and called to "promise" me nothing would change in terms of pricing. So although I never signed a contract with Telus they steadily increased the cost of my cell phone every month to the point I was paying over double that of clearnet. And those that say Telus internet is superior I consistantly get 25-50 MBps download with Shaw and although I have never had Telus ADSL I don't see how it could be much faster than that.

I've recently started to get a little fed up with Shaw, (though I've had telus and hated it, especially the internet) I have no real intentions of switching, I'm just mad that Shaw still doesn't have FX canada. I was also pretty bummed when they discontinued HDNET. Also, shaw keeps raising my bills. other then that Shaw >>>> Telus, the ADSL internet with telus was shotty and slow, and the Cable with telus was choppy and grainy, when I had the computer on watching TV on more than one channel things would be slow.

I've had nothing but problems with telus over the last 19 months. Cancelled my contract and paid the fee.

Worst company ever. CSRs are awful.

Wish I never switched from shaw.

Had to get my router replaced twice, pvr box replaced once, struggled to get the promotional item for signing up for contract because of how inept they are.

Look into a smaller company. There's other choices than those two clowns.

Telus is a wretched company and despise them since they took over clearnet and called to "promise" me nothing would change in terms of pricing. So although I never signed a contract with Telus they steadily increased the cost of my cell phone every month to the point I was paying over double that of clearnet. And those that say Telus internet is superior I consistantly get 25-50 MBps download with Shaw and although I have never had Telus ADSL I don't see how it could be much faster than that.

Telus gave me a free laptop. Shaw charged me an extra $140. This has made me pro-Telus.

But i find Optik to be a bit better. The interface is better, but still has some ironing out to do. The customer service has been more than helpful, whereas Shaw's was a bit arrogant and unresponsive unless you directly threatened to leave them.

The internet is supposed to be slower, but i have yet to see a meaningful difference.

Both companies disguise their real charges, but that's unfortunately the norm now.

Telus has a contract though. Shaw doesn't. Shaw acts like it's a perk, but if they scam you out of $140 after quitting regardless, then what real perks do they offer? None.

Imo Shaw has some major work to do if they want Telus customers back.

After my Telus contract ends, i'd rather have no cable tv at all than go back to Shaw, regardless of their promotion at the time.

Personally I had major issues with Telus over the years when I was a renter. When I bought I went with Shaw and have never had an issue.

I know people who have Optik and hate it. Internet goes down all the time. If they are using both internet and HD the HD goes choppy and/or the internet speed drops.

As for price, I hear Telus is great in the introductory period but after that they keep raising it. I phoned Shaw a while back and got them to drop my bill to about the same as what I can get with Telus.

Customer service is also a real pain with Telus, once you sign that contract they dont give a crap about you as a customer. Shaw used to be really bad I heard but the last couple times I called I got through within 5 minutes.

As for quality of HD and internet, shaw is far superior IMO.

Personally I will never go to a company that makes you sign a contract.

Telus does NOT have contracts. They have optional service agreements that negate your equipment rental charges and qualify you for a free gift (like a laptop or tablet, etc). You do not have to sign up for this.

The price difference between Telus and Shaw is negligible, especially after the 6 month promos that both companies offer. Some of the main differences in Telus' favour:

- Home phones (landlines) are still copper-based: they will still work when the power is out. Shaw uses VOIP. No power, no phone.

- Telus' high speed and Optik internet are dedicated lines. You do not share your connection with anyone. With Shaw, you sure do (hence, the unstable speeds that many people in this very thread have reported).

- Huge emphasis on customer service within the past few years for Telus. They are very aware that they used to suck in that regard and they have made a lot of changes to improve.

- Optik TV offers a greater degree of customization than Shaw's packages.

I'm also not sure why you think Shaw's HD and internet are superior, there is virtually no difference in the HD, and at least with Telus internet you have a dedicated connection that won't slow down during peak usage hours.

I have Shaw home phone and it works fine when the power goes out. My internet is just as good during peak hours as it is during any other time. Telus customer service still has a long way to go before it is at least decent, they can start by hiring more people that can speak and understand English fluently. Everytime they call to try to get me to switch I can barely understand a word they say. They are also extremely rude and pushy, maybe you don't need to sign a contract, but I was told by customer service that I would have to sign a contract when I inquired.

As for why I think the HD and internet is better with Shaw, its from personal experience and from what friends have told me and from what I have seen.

LOL! Your Telus crush is something else. No one gives a F about your amazing speeds. Optik TV is not as good as Shaws, just accept it.

Telus does NOT have contracts. They have optional service agreements that negate your equipment rental charges and qualify you for a free gift (like a laptop or tablet, etc). You do not have to sign up for this.

The price difference between Telus and Shaw is negligible, especially after the 6 month promos that both companies offer. Some of the main differences in Telus' favour:

- Home phones (landlines) are still copper-based: they will still work when the power is out. Shaw uses VOIP. No power, no phone.

- Telus' high speed and Optik internet are dedicated lines. You do not share your connection with anyone. With Shaw, you sure do (hence, the unstable speeds that many people in this very thread have reported).

- Huge emphasis on customer service within the past few years for Telus. They are very aware that they used to suck in that regard and they have made a lot of changes to improve.

- Optik TV offers a greater degree of customization than Shaw's packages.

I'm also not sure why you think Shaw's HD and internet are superior, there is virtually no difference in the HD, and at least with Telus internet you have a dedicated connection that won't slow down during peak usage hours.

Sincerely,

A Telus employee

Shaw is pretty inconsistent with the internet speeds and there tv packages are a lot more expensive. Rightnow with shaw I don't even get the basic channels you would with basic cable that's why the switch to telus was made. Get all the regular channels and get plenty more and save money. It seems like some people have Boners for both companys please tuck them away didn't make this thread for biased people.

LOL!!!! Because amazing Internet speeds with Telus has nothing to do with Telus Internet or Shaw Internet!!!!!!! Good one!!! Feel good about yourself on that one buddy! No one gives an F about what your friends told you! Just accept what? That you blind yourself to using an inferior company because you had a couple bad experiences? Telus > Shaw. Just accept it.

I've used both, back and forth over the years. Shaw is better.

Unstable Cable internet was a relevant problem 10-12 years ago for sure, and Telus was definitely more consistent. However over the years and especially now, it is not at all a problem anymore. In terms of speed Shaw has always been faster as well. As for Telus Optik I haven't personally had in my home however I have friends/family who use it and they hate it, as do I when I'm using it at their place.

i would never use telus internet especially with optik since its shared with every tv and computer you have so with 3 tvs and 3 computers in my house the internet was extremely slow so i actually put shaw into my room

the tv doesn't matter to me the menu is better for telus but can be slow at times they have some channels i like that shaw doesn't but there are channels on shaw i have they don't

also for what i get compared to my mom's internet and tv package it seems like i pay less after the specials and i even have 50mbs i know people will say it is shared with everyone around me but i notice no slow down in speed ever

Telus is the worst ISP in Canada. I'm not even exaggerating one bit. Telus locks you into contracts which you have to pay to get out of should you wish to cancel Telus DSL service. Telus's speeds are horrendous. Their fastest service is 25mbps plan. Shaw on the other hand has 200mbps speeds.

If you want to get ripped off then feel free to sign up with Telus. There's a reason why most people in the know crowd are with Shaw

Archived