The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus Optic VS Shaw

WillyFox

I've used both, back and forth over the years. Shaw is better.

Unstable Cable internet was a relevant problem 10-12 years ago for sure, and Telus was definitely more consistent. However over the years and especially now, it is not at all a problem anymore. In terms of speed Shaw has always been faster as well. As for Telus Optik I haven't personally had in my home however I have friends/family who use it and they hate it, as do I when I'm using it at their place.

Shaw is pretty inconsistent with the internet speeds and there tv packages are a lot more expensive. Rightnow with shaw I don't even get the basic channels you would with basic cable that's why the switch to telus was made. Get all the regular channels and get plenty more and save money. It seems like some people have Boners for both companys please tuck them away didn't make this thread for biased people.

Telus has gotten much better over the last 3 or so years. Their technology, speed, and quality hasn't quite gotten to what Shaw is right now, but it's pretty damn close. Customer service has been vastly improved and from my experience being with both companies, TELUS IS CHEAPER.

Maybe that's just because my family has been with them since the days of BC Tel, but they are much cheaper than Shaw, however, you do sacrifice some quality. Optik TV tends to be a little laggy in terms of going through the TV Guide, and switching between channels, but other than that, the HD is there and is working properly. (They really need to improve the controller, it's quite unresponsive).

Another con is location. A lot of the time, your location determines the quality of service. Luckily, I'm a 10 minute walk away from one of their towers. I hear of people in Richmond who JUST got Optik TV as an option.

Internet is fine, it's stable and fast. And plus, I don't mind contracts so that's also why I stay with Telus.

Telus has gotten much better over the last 3 or so years. Their technology, speed, and quality hasn't quite gotten to what Shaw is right now, but it's pretty damn close. Customer service has been vastly improved and from my experience being with both companies, TELUS IS CHEAPER.

Maybe that's just because my family has been with them since the days of BC Tel, but they are much cheaper than Shaw, however, you do sacrifice some quality. Optik TV tends to be a little laggy in terms of going through the TV Guide, and switching between channels, but other than that, the HD is there and is working properly. (They really need to improve the controller, it's quite unresponsive).

Another con is location. A lot of the time, your location determines the quality of service. Luckily, I'm a 10 minute walk away from one of their towers. I hear of people in Richmond who JUST got Optik TV as an option.

Internet is fine, it's stable and fast. And plus, I don't mind contracts so that's also why I stay with Telus.

LOL!!!! Because amazing Internet speeds with Telus has nothing to do with Telus Internet or Shaw Internet!!!!!!! Good one!!! Feel good about yourself on that one buddy! No one gives an F about what your friends told you! Just accept what? That you blind yourself to using an inferior company because you had a couple bad experiences? Telus > Shaw. Just accept it.

Ill agree with this, except for the much cheaper part. Shaw (and I'm sure Telus) is usually willing to try and match prices. I called Shaw a couple months back saying my bill was to high and I wanted to see what they could offer me. My bill now for home phone, internet, and HD cable is cheaper than what Telus will offer.

• 3 weeks later...

people saying Telus HD dosent look good compared to shaw is wrong I find it looks very good and I dont see a downgrade in the picture quality at all. Internet is pretty good also for having 3 TVs set up only problem I have noticed is that im now on wireless connection which make my EASHL guy a little less responsive then what im use to on wired connection as the modem had to be upstairs.

I currently have Telus and it is by far the worst service I have ever used. I have had every device replaced at least once and I still experience problems on a daily basis. Switching to Shaw at the end of the month myself.

man, am I glad I don't have to deal with this crap, lol.

The minute my condo was wired for Novus' fibre-optic service, I promptly switched over from Shaw. Shaw wasn't bad, in fact their service was quite good. The only difference is that I pay half the price with Novus to have better speeds.

2246554110.png

I pay what around 40 bucks a month for that and a TV package together, lol. I pay for 25mbps down and 10 up, and I get better than I pay for.

Biggest factor for me is Shaw is THE best service company I have ever dealt with, bar none, and they have a local office I can drive to in 5 minutes and pound on a desk .. Telus? .. after waiting for 45 minutes, and weaving thru a telephone maze, I am connected to a person who barely speaks English and thinks BC means "before Christ" ..

Biggest factor for me is Shaw is THE best service company I have ever dealt with, bar none, and they have a local office I can drive to in 5 minutes and pound on a desk .. Telus? .. after waiting for 45 minutes, and weaving thru a telephone maze, I am connected to a person who barely speaks English and thinks BC means "before Christ" ..

I'm waiting for OPTIK to be available in my area. SHAW wasn't gonna give me any deals/discounts to stay with them. I only have 1 TV and internet. Too much TV rots the brain anyways. So I should be OK with the OPTIK as long as I can get a better deal. Free stuff is free stuff. I'll probably be stuck with them for 3yrs but its OK. Short term pain for long term gain. After the 3yr is up...I'll switch to SHAW for a better deal. I'll keep flip-flopping for the best deals.

Personally I had major issues with Telus over the years when I was a renter. When I bought I went with Shaw and have never had an issue.

I know people who have Optik and hate it. Internet goes down all the time. If they are using both internet and HD the HD goes choppy and/or the internet speed drops.

As for price, I hear Telus is great in the introductory period but after that they keep raising it. I phoned Shaw a while back and got them to drop my bill to about the same as what I can get with Telus.

Customer service is also a real pain with Telus, once you sign that contract they dont give a crap about you as a customer. Shaw used to be really bad I heard but the last couple times I called I got through within 5 minutes.

As for quality of HD and internet, shaw is far superior IMO.

Personally I will never go to a company that makes you sign a contract.

The service level and the product quality is relatively the same. And both companies are screwing you equally. I recommend going with the one that will give you the most toys at the start, to soften the blow of them screwing you more and more over time. If you have a big problem with contracts, well, suck it up and play minecraft on your free tablet, sweetheart.

I own a few businesses and have at home, shaw. I used to use telus, they were twice the cost. Half the service. Zero support, and overall douchebags.

Telus has been ???? western Canada for years and I for one am glad shaw is ???? them around by offering phone services. Whoever said telus is cheaper is lying, and their service is nowhere NEAR the same. Its not even close, and before you praise one or the other if you havnt used them both then stfu.

Archived