The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus Optic VS Shaw

WillyFox

• 1 month later...

About to switch to Telus, bundle phone/net/tv...

They're promo right now is, 3year term, HD PVR + 2 Terminals free + either a $300 prepaid Visa or a Xbox 360

(already got ps3 so will probably take the visa)

works out to about 138/mnth

right now im with shaw paying 128 (without net) and no HD channels

They're promo right now is, 3year term, HD PVR + 2 Terminals free + either a $300 prepaid Visa or a Xbox 360

How are you paying Shaw $130 without getting any HD channels or internet?? What the hell are you paying for then? Even Basic digital cable comes with 20 HD channels which is about $40, then add a high speed 10MBPS internet and Shaw phone and the total should be $95/month. Something just doesn't add up.

How are you paying Shaw $130 without getting any HD channels or internet?? What the hell are you paying for then? Even Basic digital cable comes with 20 HD channels which is about $40, then add a high speed 10MBPS internet and Shaw phone and the total should be $95/month. Something just doesn't add up.

man, am I glad I don't have to deal with this crap, lol.

The minute my condo was wired for Novus' fibre-optic service, I promptly switched over from Shaw. Shaw wasn't bad, in fact their service was quite good. The only difference is that I pay half the price with Novus to have better speeds.

2246554110.png

I pay what around 40 bucks a month for that and a TV package together, lol. I pay for 25mbps down and 10 up, and I get better than I pay for.

Seriously.

I get:

* Most of the HD channels

* 50 mb\s internet

* Home phone (with all the features)

* And I am running 1 HD PVR, 1 HD box and 3 regular boxes

- all for about $150 per month

That's all with no contract. The "gifts" Telus gives you is simply to entice you to spend a set amount of $$ by signing a contract. they are to me no better than their mobile division, Rogers and Bell. Why would I want to sign a 3 year deal and finance my equipment.

We have Telus Optik and have had for the past almost 5 years.

We pay $15.00 each for TV (essentials package with 22 HD channels and the added sports theme pack with 9 more HD channels) and Optik High Speed Internet.

We never paid for the hardware (rental or purchase) from the outset - HD box with PVR and two digital boxes with universal remotes as well as a wireless router. Telus supplied all the necessary cabling (HDMI in the case of the HDTVs and also left component cables for each TV ),external wireless cards for both computers and RG45 cables if we wanted to wire up. As new hardware has become available they have swapped out the old and replaced it with the new (two new wireless routers and new PVR over the years) at no charge.

We had some intermittent gremlins that turned out to be poor wiring in the walls and at the switch plates. Telus techs re-wired and installed new switch plate connectors - no charge. When we had problems with Shaw as our previous provider the best solution they had was call in our own electrical contractor.

The service department of Telus has been exemplary and leaves Shaw in the dust in my experience.

I also find the TV signal with Telus much superior to Shaw and the internet speed is better than advertised (max 15 Mb/s) - and it is consistent.

2338574625.png

My friend and I have identical TVs (bought at the same time from the same retailer and scored a significant discount) and we had them both tuned by the same TV tech. My friend has Shaw and he always remarks how much better my TV picture is than his and he pays way more. He would go with Telus Optik but where he lives it is not wired for Optik.

Telus is seriously pissing me off lately. I'm probably going to switch to shaw for the internet at least.

My internet crapped out and I had to argue with them for days to even come look at it. It still doesn't work.

I was offered a free 2 month preview of some movie channels and told them specifically that I'd only accept if they cancel after two months unless I say otherwise. They said 'yes yes, of course we can do that'. Sure enough, they don't cancel them and I have to phone in and complain. Then they cancel half the other channels I have leaving the movie channels. I have to phone again, ask them what the hell they are doing. Then they tell me if I just bundle I can get more theme packs for less money, I tell them I'm extremely suspicious but fine. So I ask for theme pack x, sure enough they cancel other theme packs and give me ones I have no interest. So, I have to phone again...and on and on it goes.

My contract is up in January. I'm pretty sure I'll switch to shaw although I do much prefer the optik interface.

I've had telus for the last 6 years in 3 different locations, I've never had a problem. I have phone, internet, TV... all optic of course. I have great download speeds, fair upload speeds, no internet drops, always consistent speeds and never an issue with billing, even if I pay late. I had Shaw for years before and had nothing but problems. Slow speeds during peak hours, so bad I couldnt even game online. Crappy customer service, high prices and one place I lived my TV reception was crap with Shaw, when I asked what the prob was they told me their lines to my home were old and needed to be replaced, they said they would do it. I asked when, they said in the next year or two. Just like anything, some people have good luck with certain brands and others dont. No different than my neighbor who bought a brand new Dodge truck and had nothing but problems with it from the day he got it and my other friend who loved his and had no issues.... its different for everyone.

Telus is a complete joke from top to bottom. Had Optik for 30 days and nearly set it on fire ! My net speeds plummeted below 2 mbps ? Yes replaced all couplings and splitters, new router and removal of all signal amplifiers etc etc . They are more expensive than Shaw I dont know what all these other people are smoking ? CSR reps are total tools at both companies and dont know their butts from holes in the ground. The techs at either company are the only ones that know anything. Bundled up Shaw blows away anything Scamus can offer. The new Shaw digital box has a modem built into and my net speed nearly tripled from 7.5mbps to nearly a steady 18-22 mbps.

That being said cable companies are a FRAKKEN joke altogether. Why can't I build my channel packages. What if I only want 10 channels and throw away all the other crap? They can easily add my NFL total access for one dollar ?

Side note all you need is a digital antennae to snag 720p from the air if you are ok with peasant vision :) and most net speeds can be sped up by checking your modem settings as a few have mentioned earlier in the thread.

I know this is a Telus vs Shaw thread but thought I would mention that Delta Cable is awesome(unfortunately as the name implies, only for Delta residents). Any telephone call takes less than 3 min. to connect to a live english speaking person, and they are very knowledgable. Price wise I believe they cost less than Shaw and Telus although still comparable. Quality is excellent.

Telus optik TV just shares connection with your internet while Shaw's HD TV has its own dedicated line which can accommodate more bandwidth. I notice with Telus, the HD sometimes has pixelation and doesn't seem to be that clear. Although I like the features of Telus optik such as the remote recording, ability to use XBox as an additional HD box, the programming UI and having Caller's ID on the screen when someone calls. Too bad the quality isn't there yet.

Telus optik TV just shares connection with your internet while Shaw's HD TV has its own dedicated line which can accommodate more bandwidth. I notice with Telus, the HD sometimes has pixelation and doesn't seem to be that clear. Although I like the features of Telus optik such as the remote recording, ability to use XBox as an additional HD box, the programming UI and having Caller's ID on the screen when someone calls. Too bad the quality isn't there yet.

Archived