182 replies to this topic

#121 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

It's unfortunate you can't get Shaw where you are, and I have no experience with the other two. That is bogus though, I recommend to continue trying (maybe call the other two with the same tactic?)
You shouldn't expect to get a "fantastic deal" right away though, try and find something with a low or no contract though, that way you can call again in 6 months and threaten to leave and get more perks. This typically gets a little more out of them, and when you do it every 6 months, your perks start to add up!
You could call Bell (satellite) as well for your TV and see if it works out there, I'm sure they'll give you a trial or deal of some sort.

Unfortunately with Telus, you sign the three year contract or you don't get the free DVR etc gear or discounted rate. Which, again, doesn't really make it worthwhile to switch. Just frustrating not having someone I can talk to to play ball. I WANT to become their customer but I'm not going to do it unless it makes sense to do so.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#122 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

The thing I do find annoying is the wireless is alot weaker there is dead spots in my house that when I had shaw never occurred. Would like to say the Internet is good but its meh shaw has the better Internet, other then that though optic tv is good.
GO Canucks GO

#123 fourminute

fourminute

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

viasat is better satellite than optic tv ! optic tv sometimes too slow
Posted Image

#124 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

The thing I do find annoying is the wireless is alot weaker there is dead spots in my house that when I had shaw never occurred. Would like to say the Internet is good but its meh shaw has the better Internet, other then that though optic tv is good.

I've already got a good wireless router...pretty sure there is a way to set it up as a repeater.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#125 HeatSikhing

HeatSikhing

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'd go with Bell. Better quailty and very rare the signal cuts out (only during heavy snowafall)

I have the max amount of recievers (7) on my account spread over four households. All you need is a satellite intstaller to play ball. I have all the channels I need.

#126 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'd go with Bell. Better quailty and very rare the signal cuts out (only during heavy snowafall)

I have the max amount of recievers (7) on my account spread over four households. All you need is a satellite intstaller to play ball. I have all the channels I need.

Would still need internet.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#127 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

So looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy Tablet with the Optik and it looks like it comes with a "Smart Remote App" for controlling Optik TV.

Can anyone tell me if this is a Telus customized version/interface of the Peel Smart Remote App that's built in to Samsung Tablets?
http://www.samsung.c...p-watch#RAT_M02

Or is it simply another, separate app?

I'm hoping it's all one app as I'd like to use the tablet as a universal remote for my stereo, TV, Optik and media streamer but I'd rather not have to be switching between 2-3 apps to do so if possible. If it's it's own stand alone app I'm concerned I'd have to do so and that doesn't sound terribly user friendly particularly for those less technically inclined than myself who might wish to use the system.

Any help/info from current users would be great :)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#128 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,267 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I don't have that but I do have an app on my android phone that let's me schedule recordings and see what's on my PVR from anywhere.

#129 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I don't have that but I do have an app on my android phone that let's me schedule recordings and see what's on my PVR from anywhere.

Yeah, I believe that's the same Telus Smart Remote App.

http://telus.com/con.../apps/index.jsp

I just want to know if that same app can be used to also control other components and preferably perform macros etc as you would with a universal remote.

I'm assuming it's merely a add-on to the Peel app that comes with Samsung Tablet's but I can't find any info online to confirm or deny that.

Edited by J.R., 26 February 2013 - 03:56 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#130 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,176 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I moved a month and a half ago and still haven't ordered Internet for the new place.
It's tough to justify $50/month just for Internet.

#131 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Turns out Telus' app isn't currently supported on Android anyway...so perhaps Peel will control Optik...? :wacko:
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#132 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

FYI... for anyone interested in the same thing I'm looking at (using a Samsung Tablet with built in IR as a universal remote). There's a great little North Van based company with some neat looking software to do just that:

https://play.google....C5zYW1zdW5nIl0.

http://touchsquid.org/

I'm thinking of diving in and purchasing the app once I get my tablet. The company also sells it's own Android based tablet as well.

Posted Image
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#133 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,608 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Well I switched over to Telus. Never really had much of a problem with Shaw, but felt I was getting a good deal through Telus and also get a 40% discount through my friend.
Posted Image

#134 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

Shaw hardly ever goes down but then it can go stupid for a few days and be the most irritating thing ever. From what I remember, Telus had a lot of problems but the worst part was their customer service was ass.

That being said, I wish that they'd dig up the lines and put in better ones. The inernet in BC is crap. Like REALLY REALLY BAD. For games, we usually have the worst ping in NA for any game, and our download/upload is crap. You pay a lot for even like 10 mb/s upload, but other people pay the same or less for upwards of 100 mb/s. But either or, I've had good times with Shaw. Just wanted to rant about how crapty the internet here is is all.

#135 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

FYI... for anyone interested in the same thing I'm looking at (using a Samsung Tablet with built in IR as a universal remote). There's a great little North Van based company with some neat looking software to do just that:

https://play.google....C5zYW1zdW5nIl0.

http://touchsquid.org/

I'm thinking of diving in and purchasing the app once I get my tablet. The company also sells it's own Android based tablet as well.

Posted Image

Touchsquid destroys Peel in every way. But you pay for it. I have 2 logitech harmony remotes controlling my main televisions so it was not worth it to me, and the idea of having your large tablet having to be in your hands all the time to adjust a channel or volume level is just annoying.

I would never recommend that ap so long as there are better stand alone / smaller universal remotes out there. Hell you can buy a base model Harmony remote for 30$ now. Which is still 20$ cheaper than the touchsquid app.
Larchide is spelled wrong on purpose....

#136 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Well I switched over to Telus. Never really had much of a problem with Shaw, but felt I was getting a good deal through Telus and also get a 40% discount through my friend.

Hook me up!!!

Touchsquid destroys Peel in every way. But you pay for it. I have 2 logitech harmony remotes controlling my main televisions so it was not worth it to me, and the idea of having your large tablet having to be in your hands all the time to adjust a channel or volume level is just annoying.

I would never recommend that ap so long as there are better stand alone / smaller universal remotes out there. Hell you can buy a base model Harmony remote for 30$ now. Which is still 20$ cheaper than the touchsquid app.

Well I'll likely keep the Optik remote around for day to day use of changing channels etc. with hard buttons. WAF being a major factor in that as well. Still, two remotes is WORLDS better than the 4+ it would normally be without a universal. As long as my wife can pick up the tablet and easily change sources then use the Optik remote for TV, I'll be VERY happy. The rest is just gravy. Besides I want it to be "more" than just a universal remote...

Been emailing TouchSquid (TS) about utilizing their app for lighting control using Insteon products as well.
http://www.insteon.n...ducts-home.html

TS is planning on adding WIFI IP control in an upcoming update which would allow me to create macros for dimming, and turning off/on lights etc. Until then, TS has a workaround that launches apps (in this case Insteon's) from within TS.

Pretty impressed with TS's capabilities so far and their response time, knowledge, friendliness and willingness to adjust to their user community's requests is making me feel pretty good about spending the $50 on the pro version personally. And if you don't need all the macro etc bells and whistles the non pro version is only $19. Well worth it IMO.

Edited by J.R., 01 March 2013 - 03:34 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#137 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,763 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Shaw hardly ever goes down but then it can go stupid for a few days and be the most irritating thing ever. From what I remember, Telus had a lot of problems but the worst part was their customer service was ass.

That being said, I wish that they'd dig up the lines and put in better ones. The inernet in BC is crap. Like REALLY REALLY BAD. For games, we usually have the worst ping in NA for any game, and our download/upload is crap. You pay a lot for even like 10 mb/s upload, but other people pay the same or less for upwards of 100 mb/s. But either or, I've had good times with Shaw. Just wanted to rant about how crapty the internet here is is all.

Telus has been changing their phone lines to fibre optics to increase the speed..... but as you can imagine, that is a lot of infrastructure.
Posted Image

#138 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'm with Telus Optik (everything in my house is Telus). I moved away from Shaw because the prices we're just getting unreasonable and Telus was offering us "exclusive" prices because my family has been with the company for over 15 years.

Optik TV is fine, the only issue is the quality can be a little iffy at times, but the biggest issue is the incredibly laggy interface. Scrolling through the TV guide is a pain, but other than that, it functions properly and there aren't any downtimes. When Telus TV first launched, there were a frustrating amount of "network issues" but that's all gone now.

#139 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image

#140 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Unfortunately with Telus, you sign the three year contract or you don't get the free DVR etc gear or discounted rate. Which, again, doesn't really make it worthwhile to switch. Just frustrating not having someone I can talk to to play ball. I WANT to become their customer but I'm not going to do it unless it makes sense to do so.

I actually found Telus to be quite reasonable. I signed-up with them over two years ago and only needed to enter a one year contract. They gave me free PVR and a very good rate.

Right now I'm paying about $90/month taxes-in for their top-speed internet and majority HD package (including Oasis etc.) minus the time shift channels (which are useless to me).

I remember about a week after I had entered my one year term with Telus, Shaw dropped a flyer off at my house with better pricing. I called Telus right away and they basically matched it. They could have easily told me tough luck since I already agreed to my pricing and started my term.

Every service provider will have their annoyances at one time or another.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Sig too big, images removed. - SN

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#141 Kakanucks

Kakanucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

for me personally i would take shaw anyday but since my landlord provides the cable i have telus optik

it worked wonderfully for the first 3 months, but now the past week i can no longer pause and rewind live tv, my digital box freezes when i try to do any commands regarding recording (set new recording, delete recorded show etc)

it always says pvr system busy. please try again

now whenever that happens, when i restart the box i cant even change the channels, have to do the whole unplug hard reset thing

just wondering if any other fellow cdcers had the same problem???

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#142 heysoulsisters21

heysoulsisters21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

shaw's so slow it's horrifyingly horrible

#143 trek

trek

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,420 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Until Telus can compete with my current speeds; I can't consider their service for internet.

Posted Image

#144 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Until Telus can compete with my current speeds; I can't consider their service for internet.

Posted Image

It depends upon what you want/need and how much you are willing to pay.

In my case I pay $15.00 per month.

Posted Image

Edited by Wetcoaster, 04 March 2013 - 10:42 AM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#145 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

Well I got Optik hooked up on the weekend and here's my $0.02:

I'll start with the good...

The tech was on time, courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. The installation was largely trouble free (though that was helped by my having some already existing data/Cat6 lines instead of using the houses 30+ year old coax wiring) and quick. This was a relief as I'd heard some horror stories with installations and service crapping out after tech leave etc. He even gave me a couple free 5 port switches to replace my existing single switch (I needed some extra ports for the TV's).

The internet is great. I previously had the 40Mbps service through Delta Cable and "downgraded" to Telus' 25Mbs service. There seems to be no real world downgrade in speed however (Delta's speeds would vary greatly throughout the day). Telus actually has a much faster ping (between 5-8ms so far) and a tick better upload speeds (low 3's vs high 2's for Delta) as well. I was measuring low 24Mbps consistently on Speedtest and it only dropped to high 22's/low 23's with the TV on which I was happy about. I don't feel like I've lost much, if anything here in real world terms. If anything I'll be happy to enjoy the bump in upload speed for posting pictures on Facebook etc and the low ping speed seems to make the web much more responsive.

The GUI, guide, features (30 second skip I LOVE you!) are a VAST improvement over Delta Cable and I can't wait to utilize the remote recording feature. The TV system is just simpler, more "fun" and more intuitive to use. My wife even made some "this is girl-friendly!" comments last night while using it the first time.

All this and it's about $15/month cheaper (plus I get the aforementioned free tablet) than Delta Cable's service.

Now for the bad... and so far I've only noted one negative. The picture quality (HD channels) is slightly lower. This likely is due at least partially to Telus re-sampling all HD to 720p for their system. Delta Cable simply passed through the native broadcast resolution (1080i for most channels, 720p for TSN for example). 720p handles motion better than 1080i (great for sports, action movies etc) but 1080i has better resolution for more stationary pictures (most sitcoms, dramas, documentaries etc). Some may also be due to the level of compression they use but I have no data to support/deny that. The long and short of it is that the picture is slightly "softer". It's certainly not un-watchable but it isn't quite as pretty.

If any of you Telus Optik guys no a way to tweak the system to increase the TV bandwidth, I'd gladly sacrifice another 0.5-1Mbps of internet speed for a boost in PQ if that is part of the problem.

Edited by J.R., 11 March 2013 - 10:57 AM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#146 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

People have to understand that the biggest problem is not between the two, but that the internet in BC sucks in general. I'm not sure if it's because our cables are old or what, but in countless games I have noticed that people from BC will almost always have the worst ping compared to anywhere else in the US.

It's good that Telus is switching to fibreoptic but that's going to take forever. And the worst part is, from what I've seen 'high speed' internet like that in BC is astronomically high for no real reason. We're kind of stuck with inferior internet at crazy high prices.

#147 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

People have to understand that the biggest problem is not between the two, but that the internet in BC sucks in general. I'm not sure if it's because our cables are old or what, but in countless games I have noticed that people from BC will almost always have the worst ping compared to anywhere else in the US.

It's good that Telus is switching to fibreoptic but that's going to take forever. And the worst part is, from what I've seen 'high speed' internet like that in BC is astronomically high for no real reason. We're kind of stuck with inferior internet at crazy high prices.

The 5ms Ping I got yesterday is pretty good IMO...
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#148 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

The remote record capabilities are officially awesome! :towel:
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#149 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

anyone have telus satellite? No optik in my area and I am sick of shaw's high prices, crappy service and mediocre product

#150 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

You might be insane, we have the fastest consumer internet in North America from Shaw.

Most people are simply uneducated and subscribe to packages which include extremely low upload speeds and therefore high ping.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.