The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus Optic VS Shaw

WillyFox

My personal experience has been opposite with the Telus picture being superior to that delivered by Shaw and the internet consistently delivering the maximum speed as advertised - something that Shaw Internet was unable to achieve. And for a significantly cheaper cost for the equivalent packages and that with Telus included the hardware and cabling at no cost.

You are definitely an exception and a lucky person to have good experiences with Telus. From my observations, it seems some are happy with Telus and the majority are much happier with Shaw. I'd say if you are happy with Telus, then stick with them and the same goes with Shaw customers. The ones who aren't happy should switch, whether its Shaw or Telus.

Just got off the phone with shaw. I'm getting high speed 20 internet for $30/month up to $45 after 6 months (currently $42 with telus), free modem, free installation. I'm sticking with optik tv, but the benefit of the discount bundle is not worth it.

I know my tenant who installed Telus had quite a few choice words for them. He cursed and yelled at them so they got the point and installed the Telus Optik the next day. He told me the only way to deal with Telus CSR is to yell and curse at them. It seems the people who work as their Customer Service Reps fall asleep behind the wheel when it comes to anything that needs to be done.

I have number of friends and acquaintances who have had similar experiences to mine.

We had ongoing problems with Shaw internet and Telus at the time had a much better HDTV package available. For some people the contract may be an issue but not for me. At the time I switched from Shaw it was for the price and channel bundles - now with the Optik upgrades the options and hardware were way out in front of Shaw. The TV package runs me way less monthly than the equivalent Shaw package when I put the two together - and then there is the hardware being included. I went to Shaw with the prices and they refused to bring down their prices to anything near so I switched.

Currently we pay $15.00 per month for Optik High Speed Internet - the equivalent Shaw package would be over $50.00 and the current Telus TV package is also $15.00 per month with the equivalent Shaw package running us about $45.00 per month. And then with Shaw you have to then add in the cost (lease or buy) of the digital boxes, wireless router, PVR plus I get universal remotes and all the necessary cabling for free. And as the hardware is upgraded I get the latest - again no charge.

I have had nothing but exceptional customer service for TV and the Internet from Telus - something that I could not say for Shaw.

If you recall the many issues Shaw subscribers had with Canucks PPV cutting out in the past, I never experienced it with Telus as Shaw was trying to place the blame on the signal source.

YMMV.

Funny thing is that I've had the best experience with Shaw and the worst experience with Telus. My co-workers, friends, family, tenant etc. all hate Telus Customer Service. Maybe the experience varies depending on the region but Shaw has been great for me. No issues at all, great customer service and any problem is fixed with just one phone call. There has been no loss of internet connection or TV connection in the past 7 years of moving to a new house and getting Shaw. While I had problems with Telus phone and we literally had to beg them to install our landline when we moved into our new house. It took them 5-6 months to finally install the damn thing while we were using VOIP during those months that we didn't have landline phone service. And we live in Burnaby which is pretty close to Telus HQ.

I am on Shaw and will always stick with Shaw. Fibre Optic or not, depending on how your house is wired. it still goes from the Optics outside your side, to getting pushed through the old crappy copper wires of yuor house. thats liek Putting a two and a half in exhaust on your car then plugging with a 1inch exhaust tip. I and 6 of my friends got in on a Shaw promotion last year, $79 for ALL HD channels minus the movie channels, and Oasis plus High speed 10.

High speed 10 is suppose to be 10 mbps second download, I have tested all their connections with http://www.terago.ca...st/Default.aspx this site as you get a better reading cause they are local. Speedtest.com is down out of Washinton. All six of us are over 21 mbsp download. So shaw gives us more than what we pay for.

One friend is on highspeed 25, and I did the speed test he was getting 45 to 50 mbpd download.

I also checked mine even during peak times from 6:00pm till 8:00pm and not once did i dip below 18. So that is still higher than what I pay for,

Shaw can pump through as much bandwidth as they want through the cable lines. Telus is only as fast as your house wires allow. Old house crappy copper wires, so much for your optik connection.

Right now I am at work. Yes we are not on Optic here, we are on very old Telus ADSL internet. So yes it is slow, but its a small company. Anyways, our service is suppose to be 5 mbps download, this is what speedtest.net gives

2342911704.png

We dont even get what we pay for here.

I also notice that the server says Vancouver, a few years ago it used to say Washingotn

So I got shaw for the internet now. Very fast. But, the wireless sucks. Anyway to increase it? It's the SMC modem. It sucks, it won't even get upstairs.

Or can I get a good wireless router and just plug it into the modem, and turn off the wireless function of the modem?

So I got shaw for the internet now. Very fast. But, the wireless sucks. Anyway to increase it? It's the SMC modem. It sucks, it won't even get upstairs.

Or can I get a good wireless router and just plug it into the modem, and turn off the wireless function of the modem?

My friend works at Shaw as a tech support worker. The wireless modems they give you absolutely suck for wireless. It's more for people who just want internet and are not very technically inclined. You should buy a 3rd party router and bridge them, and use the wireless on your router instead.

I just spoke with a friend who is with Shaw and i recalled he was having problems with his wireless signal being dropped and a couple of dead zones in his house. He went with a Netgear range extender which he says was great and a no brainer to set up. Both Future Shop and Best Buy carry the

NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender (WN3000RP-100PAS)

10187350.jpg

http://www.futuresho...c5d6bde88a7en02

I just spoke with a friend who is with Shaw and i recalled he was having problems with his wireless signal being dropped and a couple of dead zones in his house. He went with a Netgear range extender which he says was great and a no brainer to set up. Both Future Shop and Best Buy carry the

NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender (WN3000RP-100PAS)

10187350.jpg

http://www.futuresho...c5d6bde88a7en02

Archived