The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus Optic VS Shaw

WillyFox

So I got shaw for the internet now. Very fast. But, the wireless sucks. Anyway to increase it? It's the SMC modem. It sucks, it won't even get upstairs.

Or can I get a good wireless router and just plug it into the modem, and turn off the wireless function of the modem?

i am on the fence of who i hate more.

I used to be on Telus but hated there prices and issues, also (had bad exp with there mobile service)

I switched to shaw when Telus kept telling me the TV service is coming soon next month then next month... didn't come.

so i switched when Shaw offered the phone service, to get all my services on one bill...

but then came the increases, and then some more, then issues with my bills and being over charged, endless hours on the phone trying to fix a simple problem.

just cancelling cable was a huge issue.

i keep getting offers from telus to come back and i am real close to doing it but i hate switching every thing around.

Either way it is all over priced for what you get. I mean 160$ a month for basic phone, 25mb internet, and basic cable with HD plus (16 HD channels).. heck just my Phone and internet with shaw is 95$ a month..

i am on the fence of who i hate more.

I used to be on Telus but hated there prices and issues, also (had bad exp with there mobile service)

I switched to shaw when Telus kept telling me the TV service is coming soon next month then next month... didn't come.

so i switched when Shaw offered the phone service, to get all my services on one bill...

but then came the increases, and then some more, then issues with my bills and being over charged, endless hours on the phone trying to fix a simple problem.

just cancelling cable was a huge issue.

i keep getting offers from telus to come back and i am real close to doing it but i hate switching every thing around.

Either way it is all over priced for what you get. I mean 160$ a month for basic phone, 25mb internet, and basic cable with HD plus (16 HD channels).. heck just my Phone and internet with shaw is 95$ a month..

• 2 months later...

Personally - better value when compared to Shaw.

Also - I find that the TV picture is far crisper compared to Shaw.

The added benefit of the smartphone app is unmatched... I can set a PVR program from anywhere... saves so much hassle, and allows me to catch programs that I wouldn't be home to set the PVR for.

The added benefit of the smartphone app is unmatched... I can set a PVR program from anywhere... saves so much hassle, and allows me to catch programs that I wouldn't be home to set the PVR for.

I agree with that as that has been my experience as well.

The other thing is getting the PVR, wireless router and extra digital box as part of the package no charge. After a couple of years the hard drive on the first PVR became flaky and they just switched it out. Also I keep an eye on the Telus support pages and chats and if there is newer and better hardware, I call and they make the switch.

Also as I have noted in the past Telus tech support and their on-site techs have been superb compared to what I previously experienced with Shaw.

Currently we pay $15.00/mo for Telus Optik internet and the same for the TV package with the sports add-on - so $30.00/month.

A couple of times I have exceeded the published monthly download max with no questions.

I can't understand how people experience better HD with Telus. It doesn't really make sense at all. Unless you have fibre to the premise, Telus' service is crippled by bandwidth issues.

The Shaw Gateway is the best piece of TV hardware available in the country. Period. 6 HD tuners provide the most seamless multi-room TV experience available.

I can't count the number of times growing up I'd tune in to watch sports hilights 5 minutes late and miss out on the Canucks hilights! With the Gateway, one of my 6 tuners is always on Sportsnet or TSN anyway so I can just skip back to the start of the program.

The most bandwidth, the highest speeds, and the best HD equipment.

I understand that Telus offers some pretty low rates but the quality of the service isn't even comparable.

Are you sure you weren't comparing standard definition Shaw to your Optik?

Seriously???

Of course I am sure.

I have compared an OTA HD signal, the Shaw HD signal and the Telus HD signal - the Telus signal was virtually indistinguishable from the OTA while Shaw was noticeably less sharp. Compared on an identical TV as my buddy and I bought our TVs together (same model) and we negotiated a discount. he has Shaw and I have Telus Optik.

Are you sure that your brain was engaged before dribbling on your keyboard??

Any time I have called Telus I am connected almost immediately - which was never my experience with Shaw. And we had ongoing problems with the Shaw's cable modem. I have adjusted my Optik TV package a couple of times as new channels have become available without any problems.

Telus has been a vast improvement over Shaw for me. Back when all the people were whining about problems with Canucks PPV in the past (and Shaw was blaming it on the originating signal) it was fine on Telus.

As posted previously:

Call Shaw / Telus (whichever one you aren't going to choose), and say you're thinking of switching to them and are wondering what kind of promo offer you're getting, and when they give you the offer, say you received a better offer from the other company.

Once you have that offer, call the other company and ask what promo you can get, but tell them what you were just offered from the other company and if they can offer you more than them.

You'll usually get a pretty good deal doing this.

I currently have High Speed Turbo and a custom home phone package (5 and unlimited NA+international LD I believe) with Telus and am paying 64.99 a month(no contract), and have Shaw Personal + Best of HD for 34.99 a month (although I know somebody within Shaw and this is why I get a pretty good deal).

You should get a pretty solid deal switching over no problem.

I had telus tv and internet. I dropped internet to go with shaw because the customer service was so horrible, I just got fed up.

After god knows how many phone calls, I had three different technicians come in from telus, the final pair couldn't understand what the first two had done--they'd basically screwed the initial installation so bad, using out of date equipment, that they'd have to come back again some other day to fix it. I said forget it.

Shaw came, installed, and I've been problem free with the internet since.

Optik TV is still good, I prefer the channel bundles (best of two bad options...) and the interface.

I do lose out on the bundle savings, but it's worth it to have consistent, issue-free internet and TV.

Basically, telus service is good, customer service is absolutely horrible.

Shaw is not currently available at my location unfortunately. My choices are Telus, Delta, satellite (though perhaps not due to trees on property) or OTA (which I've considered but would have to figure out SOME way to get Sportsnet and TSN for hockey).

And I actually tried the tactic you mentioned. When I called Telus they basically told me they have their current special (6 month reduced rate or TV, Tablet etc) and that's it. I even asked if I could be transferred to a supervisor and they said they could but they'll tell me the same thing. I then said that I WANT to switch to their service but if they can not offer some sort of deal it doesn't make financial sense to me at this time. They said sorry but there's nothing they can do.

After hearing about deals people have gotten that strikes me as a load of hooey but I can't seem to get through to anyone to play ball.

I'm glad you've had such a good experience. Honestly I've played the tech expert for my family for years and years and have had family go with Telus and do nothing but complain to me. I've got 15 sets of relative both on the Island and the mainland. They all go with Shaw now. Contrary to your experience (maybe it has changed), Shaw's phones typically ring right through to a CANADIAN representative instantly. Not sure how stating facts is dribbling on my keyboard. Your personal experience is certainly not the norm and your test was hardly scientific. Shaw can change channels just as quickly as Telus over the digital service so I don't quite get your point about adjusting your package. Customer experiences are going to vary by a slew of different factors. One thing that doesn't vary is the superiority of Shaw equipment and bandwidth.

I've noticed Shaw customer service has gotten a lot better in the past few months. About a year ago, it was a real drag trying to get in touch with them, I remember waiting on hold for 45 mins just to talk to someone. But I have had to call a couple times recently and wasn't waiting more than a minute. And their reps are always very knowledgeable, in my experience.

The package I am on now is great! $150/month....all HD channels and tiers, high speed 20, and home phone. And I've never once had a problem with the service. HD is super crisp, great for sports...internet is fast even with like 8 devices on the wifi. Happier than a pig in crap. The only thing I am hoping for is that they can get the app technology so I can set my PVR when I am out. Too many times I forget to set it before I leave the house. First world problems eh? lol

As for Telus, will never ever go back to them in any way shape or form. We went with them years ago and they ended up screwing us pretty bad. We filed a complaint with the BBB and a couple months afterwards one of the big wigs called us to apologize and try to get us to come back. Phhf never.

Archived