The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus Optic VS Shaw

WillyFox

It's unfortunate you can't get Shaw where you are, and I have no experience with the other two. That is bogus though, I recommend to continue trying (maybe call the other two with the same tactic?)

You shouldn't expect to get a "fantastic deal" right away though, try and find something with a low or no contract though, that way you can call again in 6 months and threaten to leave and get more perks. This typically gets a little more out of them, and when you do it every 6 months, your perks start to add up!

You could call Bell (satellite) as well for your TV and see if it works out there, I'm sure they'll give you a trial or deal of some sort.

The thing I do find annoying is the wireless is alot weaker there is dead spots in my house that when I had shaw never occurred. Would like to say the Internet is good but its meh shaw has the better Internet, other then that though optic tv is good.

I'd go with Bell. Better quailty and very rare the signal cuts out (only during heavy snowafall)

I have the max amount of recievers (7) on my account spread over four households. All you need is a satellite intstaller to play ball. I have all the channels I need.

I'd go with Bell. Better quailty and very rare the signal cuts out (only during heavy snowafall)

I have the max amount of recievers (7) on my account spread over four households. All you need is a satellite intstaller to play ball. I have all the channels I need.

So looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy Tablet with the Optik and it looks like it comes with a "Smart Remote App" for controlling Optik TV.

Can anyone tell me if this is a Telus customized version/interface of the Peel Smart Remote App that's built in to Samsung Tablets?

http://www.samsung.com/us/article/smart-remote-discover-tap-watch#RAT_M02

Or is it simply another, separate app?

I'm hoping it's all one app as I'd like to use the tablet as a universal remote for my stereo, TV, Optik and media streamer but I'd rather not have to be switching between 2-3 apps to do so if possible. If it's it's own stand alone app I'm concerned I'd have to do so and that doesn't sound terribly user friendly particularly for those less technically inclined than myself who might wish to use the system.

Any help/info from current users would be great :)

FYI... for anyone interested in the same thing I'm looking at (using a Samsung Tablet with built in IR as a universal remote). There's a great little North Van based company with some neat looking software to do just that:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=remote.touch.samsung&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInJlbW90ZS50b3VjaC5zYW1zdW5nIl0.

http://touchsquid.org/

I'm thinking of diving in and purchasing the app once I get my tablet. The company also sells it's own Android based tablet as well.

GetApps.png

Shaw hardly ever goes down but then it can go stupid for a few days and be the most irritating thing ever. From what I remember, Telus had a lot of problems but the worst part was their customer service was ass.

That being said, I wish that they'd dig up the lines and put in better ones. The inernet in BC is crap. Like REALLY REALLY BAD. For games, we usually have the worst ping in NA for any game, and our download/upload is crap. You pay a lot for even like 10 mb/s upload, but other people pay the same or less for upwards of 100 mb/s. But either or, I've had good times with Shaw. Just wanted to rant about how crapty the internet here is is all.

FYI... for anyone interested in the same thing I'm looking at (using a Samsung Tablet with built in IR as a universal remote). There's a great little North Van based company with some neat looking software to do just that:

https://play.google....C5zYW1zdW5nIl0.

http://touchsquid.org/

I'm thinking of diving in and purchasing the app once I get my tablet. The company also sells it's own Android based tablet as well.

GetApps.png

Shaw hardly ever goes down but then it can go stupid for a few days and be the most irritating thing ever. From what I remember, Telus had a lot of problems but the worst part was their customer service was ass.

That being said, I wish that they'd dig up the lines and put in better ones. The inernet in BC is crap. Like REALLY REALLY BAD. For games, we usually have the worst ping in NA for any game, and our download/upload is crap. You pay a lot for even like 10 mb/s upload, but other people pay the same or less for upwards of 100 mb/s. But either or, I've had good times with Shaw. Just wanted to rant about how crapty the internet here is is all.

I'm with Telus Optik (everything in my house is Telus). I moved away from Shaw because the prices we're just getting unreasonable and Telus was offering us "exclusive" prices because my family has been with the company for over 15 years.

Optik TV is fine, the only issue is the quality can be a little iffy at times, but the biggest issue is the incredibly laggy interface. Scrolling through the TV guide is a pain, but other than that, it functions properly and there aren't any downtimes. When Telus TV first launched, there were a frustrating amount of "network issues" but that's all gone now.

Unfortunately with Telus, you sign the three year contract or you don't get the free DVR etc gear or discounted rate. Which, again, doesn't really make it worthwhile to switch. Just frustrating not having someone I can talk to to play ball. I WANT to become their customer but I'm not going to do it unless it makes sense to do so.

Archived