The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini the Puppet Master

Slegr

I find it interesting how on the eve of the lock-out deadline, Donald Fehr was surrounded by an army of players, while it was just Gary Bettman by himself on TV, acting as the face of ownership.

But let's not fool ourselves. Gary Bettman is just the figure head for owners. They pay him big bucks to say what they don't want to say to the public. He is boo'd by every single team's fans in the NHL, yet his job security is bullet proof because the owners love him. He is truly their puppet.

When Gary Bettman was standing alone, announcing the NHL has locked out its players, he might as well have been holding hands with our own Francesco Aquilini. Our owner is one of 30 who is offering the players a raw deal. Aquilini is more at fault for this lockout than Bettman because Bettman is just following the demands of owners.

Canucks fans tend to talk so favourably about Aquilini, because he has opened the purse strings and allowed this organization to compete at the cap limit for several years. He has invested in unique strategies and created a healthy, winning environment for players and fans.

But he is still an owner, and an influential power in an unnecessary lock-out. So, as a reminder, don't hate Bettman, even though he is so easy to hate. He's just the messenger. It's time we recognized who the real culprits are, and keep them accountable.

Actually, it was the NHL and Bettman who proposed the lockout, the owners just voted on it.

Not trying to defend Aquilini in any regards, I think he's a money hungry pr*ck, but justifying Bettman by blaming the owners is incorrect.

EDIT: Because if the owners say no to a lockout, and the NHL locks them out anyways, then they're dealing with pissed off owners and pissed off players

First of all, the ownership group acts as a collective. They vote on matters and the majority rules. We have no way of knowing whether or not Aquilini voted for or against the lockout. Given that Vancouver has one of the highest annual revenues, combined with a history of Aquilini dishing out money hand and foot to create a winning environment, it's not far fetched to infer that he may actually have voted against a lockout, ie: the lockout will cost him substantial revenue that he would earn if the hockey season went forward.

Secondly, Gary Bettman is the commisioner of the NHL. He is the figurehead of the entire league. The success of the NHL is (or at least should be) his primary objective. To me, that indicates that his interests would be with both owners and players, as both groups are instrumental in the future success of professional hockey. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me as though Gary Bettman should not be picking sides. He should be a non-partisan individual, an adjudicator over negotiations if he has any involvement at all. Gary Bettman should not be siding with the ownership group if in fact his interests are the future success and growth of the league, as he is ostracizing the players that make this league possible. The ownership group should be handling negotiations without the participation or interference of the NHL brass.

That's how I see, at least.

Must I remind you fools that this is a Canuck board that is OWNED by Aquillini?

Take your anger out to another forum. I would have you banned and lock this stupid thread.

Also if you don't like how the owners and Bettman are running things then move on elsewhere because they are the bosses who cut the cheques and have every right to call how they run their businesses

Stupid thread, thank goodness we aren't owned by that Yankee McCaw (I hate the Orca) who by the way sold off the Grizz.

I'm grateful a Canuck fan bought the team, we've never been better under the new ownership and his hired management.

Tell me when the Canucks were ever this good for such a long time?

Actually, it was the NHL and Bettman who proposed the lockout, the owners just voted on it.

Not trying to defend Aquilini in any regards, I think he's a money hungry pr*ck, but justifying Bettman by blaming the owners is incorrect.

EDIT: Because if the owners say no to a lockout, and the NHL locks them out anyways, then they're dealing with pissed off owners and pissed off players

Archived