The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the Canucks offseason...

Lui's Knob

Nash didn't want to play in Vancouver. End of Nash discussion.

Schultz wanted guaranteed top 4 minutes. Hamhuis Edler Bieksa Garrison say hello. Also MG/AV don't let the players run the team. (see Cody Hodgson)

Doan stayed loyal to the organization he has been with since day one. Even his wife, who wanted him to come play in BC, couldn't change his mind for him. You expect MG to?

Salo, is an amazing character, gave us everything he had and will be in the ROH. All that aside, he is still a 35+ d man who spends half the season on the IR and to boot he was offered a ridiculous contract by TBay. Is MG supposed to throw away the cap space he needs to keep us a threat for years to come so we can glorify Salo and keep him here? I thought this city wanted to challenge for a cup year in and year out?

I think the biggest mistake made was losing Rome, I think Alberts could have been traded/demoted to make room for Aaron. He was loved in the locker room by more than just AV, and played a better game than Alberts (and sometimes Ballard). He was serviceable for sure. Say what you will, but that Wario-looking bastard was pretty cool.

Garrison was a pretty underrated signing. He's exactly what the team needed. A reliable top-four defensemen. Other than that, there wasnt a whole lot to do. Those sweepstakes, Nash, Schultz, and Doan were always a long shot.

Its worth noting, that at this point in time, unlike others in MG history.....his prospects are finally close to primetime.

If one of Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Sweatt, or Rodin can crack the roster and become an important player, then thats all we really needed. As is stands now, there is a log jam in both our foward and D positions.

In addition, whatever Luongo fetches....most likely another 2-3rd line player and a depth Defensemen, we should be good to go.

This is about as strong a team as the canucks have had in their history.

C+, only because there's really no need changing the roster, the canucks are Stacked compared to most team

line 1.......all good

line 2.......booth kesler ??????(we already have capable 2nd line players to fill this spot in Hansen Higgins Kassian)

line 3....... one of the best I think.... higgy lappy and honey badger

line 4....... with Malhotra at center this line will never be a liability

Best defence in the league by far( even ballard would be top 4 on most NHL teams)

best goal tending duo in the world (thanks too timmy T)

and for the cry babies that say we lost out on doan shultz and webber :picard:

-Doan loves Phoenix, its his hometown now, he has a huge farm with horses, he loves it there

-shultz is from kelowna, hes pretty much half albertan.... he got a max salary and plenty of playing time in deadmonton

-webber got his payday, there no way we could have got him unless he was a UFA

If the team went horizontal in terms of additions I would give it MG a C+, a C if he did nothing.

Garrison over Salo is an upgrade (and I am a huge Salo fan). Locked up Burr, Scheider and Lack. Went after some big fish but came up short.

Joslin was a downgrade from Rome IMO but could end up better in our system. No real exciting prospect free-agent signings. Still hasn't moved Luongo.

Overall I'd give a B-.

You forgot alain vigneault and Mason Raymond. As for as pros and cons for these two I think it depend on the person. In my opinion, signing Alan vigneault was a smart move and also giving mason raymond one last chance couldn't hurt. Gillis has made some very good moves by signing Garrison an re-signing Burrows and schneider this off season. I would give it a B

Pretty much a C grade for the offseason. Pretty much a holding pattern summer. In terms of in-an-out, the only significant changes were Salo leaving and Jason Garrison signing here. Pahlsson was also let go. Other than that it was depth moves (Gragnani, Rome departing) so not much changed.

B-

I cannot say we made major gains; but Garrison is a certain upgrade over Salo. I'm a Salo fan, but physically he definitely faded over the year. To find a more than adequate replacement shot with size and the vigour of youth was a score. We could have gone sooo backward. Instead we are better and have some security on D for a few years. And re-signing Schneider puts MG, without a doubt, on a positive ledger. Now it's time to cash some chips, which we have kept, and add one more difference maker!

I still remain of the belief, as posted 2 years ago, that this "difference maker," should be another true stud D. We need a guy as good offensively as Erhoff, who we can leave (or put) on the ice in key defensive situations. Erhoff could not, so at $40 mill no harm letting him go. A stud in our end who can add Erhoff's skill of being able to lug / rush the puck up ice against pressure, and through the neutral zone on the PP. Contrary to belief, Edler is more than adequate defensively, and talented offensively. That makes him well above average, but not Norris material. He does not have that speed or handling skills to relieve pressure. Alternately the sheer size to punish fore checkers and net crashers, pinning them to the boards so someone else has free lanes to move the puck. We need to trade Lou with one of our three good left side D (remember, we can call up AHL all star Connauton) for a monster!

A big bruising capable forward would be a help, just not quite as much. And maybe Kassian can develop into this?

Then an A!

Anybody who gives the off-season anything greater than a "C" is kidding themselves. We simply have not gotten better. Re-signing Burrows & Schneider do not make us better - we've just extended the status quo.

Currently, we're minus Salo, minus Rome, and plus Garrison. Personally, I think that's a step back. A lot of you seem to think that Jason Garrison is this monstrous upgrade over Sami Salo, which I think is nuts. We're throwing away a 9-year team vet and investing heavily in a potential one-year wonder-boy. Not a smart strategy, IMO.

We. Have. Not. Improved.

Archived