The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the Canucks offseason...

Lui's Knob

Burke and Gillis both have their own interests in mind when talking like this. Burke's fanbase clings to hope, Gillis hopes other GMs hear that he might be close to making a deal with Toronto. You speak so heavily about "assumptions", what about the assumption that you're clearly operating under that you can actually believe any of these bozo's? Did you believe Burke when he spoke of the Burrows/Bieksa for Hedman rumor publicly, or did that not serve your purpose at the time?

I'll believe the Toronto rumor when it happens; until then, I'll trust Jason Botchford's word (not mine) a lot more than I'll trust yours, and he said that that Lou vetoed a deal which would've sent him to Toronto for Schenn. And I don't blame him; at the moment, Toronto looks like the Oakland Raiders of the NHL. Stay the hell away.

The only sense you make is in not wishing Toronto on Luongo.

The problem with your hot air theory that this is an act, and that Luongo has already vetoed Toronto, is that Burke has no love lost for Gillis - in other words, there's next to no chance that he would collaborate in a scheme that essentially drives Luongo's price up. How exactly does it serve Burke's interest to mislead his fanbase, get their hopes up, and in the end fail to deliver once again?

Because the built-in, automatic, fool-proof explanation is that "we are not prepared to mortgage this team's future by giving them the pieces that they required to make this deal. We have strong belief in James Reimer". That's all that Burke really has to say. And he has said, repeatedly, that he believes in Reimer, so he might actually believe it. A "veteran goalie" could be Marty Turco, or someone similar to "mentor" Reimer as his backup. He also recently extended Scrivens, which doesn't send a strong signal towards Luongo's imminent arrival.

As for them "conspiring" to create interest, that's obviously not the case. But if someone comes up and asks Mike Gillis if Team X has inquired about Luongo, he's going to answer in the positive, because it benefits him to do that.

He gains nothing by lieing, and I believe that the comment was even in response to someone else's tweet, so he didn't go trumpet this to try and gain notoriety. But again, whatever. You think these media guys are scum, I think they're usually pretty well-connected and dialed-in on a local level. It's certainly possible that Lou ends up in Toronto, and that doesn't necessarily even mean that he didn't veto an earlier deal; maybe he's realized that maybe there's so little interest in him around the league that if he wants to start, he might not have a choice. Who knows.

Because the whole world knows that he's getting traded, and because Corey Schneider was signed to a 3-year deal for $12M to be our starter.

Sheldon Souray could've been forced to come play for Edmonton a few years back, but they instead chose to bury him in the minors. If Lou's brought back, he won't get much playing time. It even would not surprise me if he were to be just shut down entirely until a move's made.

Burke and Gillis both have their own interests in mind when talking like this. Burke's fanbase clings to hope, Gillis hopes other GMs hear that he might be close to making a deal with Toronto. You speak so heavily about "assumptions", what about the assumption that you're clearly operating under that you can actually believe any of these bozo's? Did you believe Burke when he spoke of the Burrows/Bieksa for Hedman rumor publicly, or did that not serve your purpose at the time?

I'll believe the Toronto rumor when it happens; until then, I'll trust Jason Botchford's word (not mine) a lot more than I'll trust yours, and he said that that Lou vetoed a deal which would've sent him to Toronto for Schenn. And I don't blame him; at the moment, Toronto looks like the Oakland Raiders of the NHL. Stay the hell away.

But the free agents are all lining up to play in Torona...

How would Canucks fans feel if their big UFA signings this summer were:

Keith Aucoin

Jay McClement

Wall to wall whining. That's all we'd hear.

They didn't even get to dream about players like Doan, Garrison or Schultz considering the Laffs... can't really think of anyone that Toronto likely had a realistic chance of signing...

Yet you also think that Botchford's assertion that Lou had already vetoed a deal to Toronto is preposterous.

If Toronto's in such a sorry state, as you make reference to (and to which I mostly agree), what makes you so sure that 33 year-old Roberto Luongo would be willing to accept a move there?

Archived