The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Being in a relationship

EoH

Sounds like your gf is being overly jealous. With that said, meeting and hanging out with friends of the opposite sex is a case-by-case subject. You may not have ulterior motives, but you don't know what are the intentions of the other person. I think that most cases are nothing more than just friendship though.

One of my best friends is a guy and, when we met (through work), he was in a relationship (engaged, in fact). He has told me that if I was ever in a situation where I needed him to pick me up, he'd do it. BUT he would be my last resort because I think there are some discretions that I should take even though the intentions are purely platonic.

I've met and hung out with his wife and she's perfectly fine with me, so maybe you should arrange for your gf to meet your friends.

The reason they havent met is that we have a totally different friends, we met each other in a class, and she feels awkward about meeting her said. Aside from that, most of my friends know that girl as well, and she wants me to slowly weed them out cause she doesnt want to be associated with her in anyway

'So drunk chick has nobody else to call?'

That's probably what relationship chick is thinking. That drunk chick is meddling at the least. Attempting a booty call at worst.

I'd invite relationship chick along for the ride to put her fears at ease. Kinda surprised she hasn't invited herself to be a third wheel already. Isn't that what relationship chicks do? Mark their territory?

'So drunk chick has nobody else to call?'

That's probably what relationship chick is thinking. That drunk chick is meddling at the least. Attempting a booty call at worst.

I'd invite relationship chick along for the ride to put her fears at ease. Kinda surprised she hasn't invited herself to be a third wheel already. Isn't that what relationship chicks do? Mark their territory?

You definitely need to talk to her about this. Don't let her dictate who you can and can't be friends with. I lost a good friend because his wife wouldn't let him have any female friends after she somehow found out that his grandma had always hoped we would get together. I could not have been less interested if I tried but that really didn't matter to her. Even if that is a valid reason for her to not allow a friendship between us it certainly isn't a good enough one for all the other female friends he had to give up. Don't let your girlfriend do that to you. You aren't the only one losing out in that situation all your former friends are too.

Your girlfriend sounds domineering yet insecure. I would echo the call to get out of that relationship, but because you have been making excuses against confronting her about it or whether she is in the wrong in the first place, I know you won't.

If you have longtime female friends that need an emergency ride, ask your girlfriend if she would like to come along. Unless you are picking these ladies up on a bicycle, you should have enough seats. This would show your girlfriend that you have nothing to hide, and it retains your hand in the relationship.

As it is, your justifying her overbearing set of rules that she has bestowed onto this relationship is just sliding you down the slippery slope into "Yes, dear" territory. There's nothing wrong with being there, some men prefer it. But be clear that it is where you are and what you have become.

He has told me that if I was ever in a situation where I needed him to pick me up, he'd do it. BUT he would be my last resort because I think there are some discretions that I should take even though the intentions are purely platonic.

Age does not always dictate experience. I may only be mid-twenties but I have had enough negative experiences with alcohol (others, not myself) and so has my now fiance. We have both driven drunk friends of the opposite sex home without the other being aware. The next morning we just sort of say good job, and let that be. I AM enjoying the ride.

She is insecure and immature. Suppose you get married one day, do you really want to be controlled like that? I think you know this is a wrong situation. Tell her that you have enjoyed the past you have spent together, but it is over. And if she asks why, tell her that you cannot live being controlled like that. It is easier fixing the problem now than spending thirty grand on a wedding and divorcing within a year due to irreconcilable differences.

I'm not going to argue on this. Maybe i am just absurdly lucky, and am really wrong about women other than my own. But I would like to believe that the majority of women 25+ trust their men enough to do something like this. If it takes them 3 hours to get home I can understand the dilemma, maybe. I don't know.

Archived