• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

http://www.redmondpi...y-1-of-release/

RPON
iPhone 5 Jailbroken Already!
By Ben Reid | September 22nd, 2012
Advertisements

Yes you read that right! iPhone 5 has been jailbroken successfully on the launch day! Popular and respected iPhone developer chpwn tweeted a picture of his iPhone 5s homescreen with Cydia icon on it in full 1136 x 640 resolution glory (the same res. as iPhone 5).

He confirmed that it is jailbroken in a reply on Twitter to another iPhone developer and security researcher i0n1c:

Now, Im sure a few of you as have on Twitter will suggest the screenshot is nothing more than a simple bit of Photoshop work, or even a web bookmark decorated to look like the real deal. However, the community in general has grown to respect chpwn (Grant Paul) quite a bit over the years, and hes definitely got the skills to pull something like this off.

It doesnt look as if it is ready for primetime yet though (the lack of a snap showing the homepage within Cydia), but its definitely a start, and we can only welcome such progress as it continues over the coming weeks and months.

Last year, it did take a few months for the untethered jailbreak to arrive, and since were now dealing with a device packing a brand-new A6 processor, dont be surprised if it takes even longer this time around for this to land in public. Still, its certainly a great first step.

And in case you dont already know, a tethered jailbreak is already available for A4 based devices like the iPhone 4, 3GS and iPod touch 4th-generation running the latest iOS 6. You can find our jailbreak iOS 6 guide here.

(via Twitter)

UPDATE: MuscleNerd of iPhone Dev-Team has retweeted chpwns tweet about iPhone 5 jailbreak. That says it all. The jailbreak achieved is legit!

Posted Image
Looks like it'll be a while till the public gets it but still great news.

Edited by MikeyBoy44, 21 September 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

This is good news. ::D

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#4 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,971 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Nerds
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#5 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

It's almost like they didn't try and improve it...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#6 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,648 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

As someone who has never owned an Apple product other than an iPod shuffle.... Can someone explain to me what jail breaking is? :picard:

Posted Image

#7 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

As someone who has never owned an Apple product other than an iPod shuffle.... Can someone explain to me what jail breaking is? :picard:

it's something nerds do to make them feel hardcore :lol:

wmmkuv.jpg

#8 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's some sort of hack to the programming so that you can add apps that aren't apple certified or whatever. Something like that. I don't own Apple products either and I don't plan to. When I finally get a smartphone, it'll probably be a Samsung.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#9 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,906 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

jailbreaking is done with any electronic device that places restrictions on where you can add software. it removes the restrictions, and allows you to install free software/aps. it's a term that's not just reserved for apple products.

Edited by avelanch, 21 September 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#10 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

POPULAR

I'm glad someone had the balls to ask haha

#11 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

It's some sort of hack to the programming so that you can add apps that aren't apple certified or whatever. Something like that. I don't own Apple products either and I don't plan to. When I finally get a smartphone, it'll probably be a Samsung.

Lemme add, you can also add apps, like android to it. Yup. My friend's iphone 4s has HTC's version of android and i'm not sure which samsung galaxy's version of android.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#12 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,648 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! :)

Posted Image

#13 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

First thing ignore the comments above about blah blah blah nerds. I didn`t know anything about it either until a few months ago. Now I can`t imagine going back to the way it was before I jail broke my iPhone 4s

Jail Breaking your iPhone is pretty much unlocking your iPhone in order to make it possible to download Cydia. With Cydia you are able to download Apps and tweaks that are not available for download from the Apple Apps store.

It gives you the ability to use your device as you want to use it. You can down load all sorts of Apps and tweaks that make your phone much more efficient and user friendly.

The main reason I did it was to download iBlacklist.
I was sick of a couple telemarketers who would repeatedly call me at all hour of day and night. I couldn`t believe there was no App available thru Apple to mitigate this. My carrier couldn`t help me either. Pretty much I couldn`t do anything about these annoying calls. After some research I found out about iBlacklist available only from Cydia. For this I needed to jail break my iPhone.

There are so many tweaks you can make to your iPhone. Some of the tweaks are simple but so useful, like closing all the Apps in back ground with the tap of one button instead of going through them all and closing them individually, which is so annoying and time consuming.

You could go to you tube and check out some top Cydia Apps and Tweaks. IMO everyone who has an iPhone should jail break it.

#14 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

so, either Apple is greedy or it can't compete with non sanctioned programs. Either case is hard to swallow.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#15 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Not surprising at all, these guys are quick to jailbreak new iPhones/updated versions of the iOS.

The sad part is that for the non-pirates who are uninitiated to jailbreaking, they risk bricking their phone just so they can have a choice of apps not limited by the Apple/iTunes Store. This is why I go with Android now, I don't like the resistance to control over your own device.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#16 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

The only problem with jailbreaking is it voids warranty..... yeah.

Other then that it's superb. I love playing Pokemon Red on my iPhone :D

#17 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

it's something nerds do to make them feel hardcore :lol:

Or something that people do in order to get better apps and not be ripped off by Apple's App store. Apple's OS is so locked down that people need to jailbreak it, in order to customize their OS. Also calling people nerds is so 1990's man. By that definition, everyone is a nerd here including you and me. Just having a smartphone and logging into CDC can be considered a nerdy thing to some.

Posted Image

#18 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Not surprising at all, these guys are quick to jailbreak new iPhones/updated versions of the iOS.

The sad part is that for the non-pirates who are uninitiated to jailbreaking, they risk bricking their phone just so they can have a choice of apps not limited by the Apple/iTunes Store. This is why I go with Android now, I don't like the resistance to control over your own device.

Me too my brother. I like Androids OS way more than Apple's because it is just more innovative. I want to be able to turn off my wifi, bluetooth, NFC, gps, navigations, rotations etc. from the notification center not by going through the settings menu.

Posted Image

#19 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

The only pirating going on is if people download paid apps for free. I use jailbreak for cosmetic purposes. I have changed all my text font to the one the Canucks use, I have changed lots of my app icons to suit my taste. Even the apps you get for free that are paid in the appstore aren't 100% free and take hours to dl.
Posted Image

#20 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Me too my brother. I like Androids OS way more than Apple's because it is just more innovative. I want to be able to turn off my wifi, bluetooth, NFC, gps, navigations, rotations etc. from the notification center not by going through the settings menu.

Just out of curiosity, why not just get an android phone then?

#21 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Just out of curiosity, why not just get an android phone then?

Well, that is why I have an Android phone lol :emot-parrot:

Posted Image

#22 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Android > Apple in a year to a year and a half.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#23 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Android > Apple in a year to a year and a half.

I honestly think Android surpassed Apple when they released Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). Not only Jelly Bean is the smoothest and fastest Android OS (thanks to project butter) but it has numerous features that surpass Apple's iOS. One feature that has really surpassed iOS is the voice feature. The speed and accuracy of the google voice now blows Siri out of the water. The other is the map/navigation which is much better than the failed mapping software of Apple.

Posted Image

#24 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

The only problem with jailbreaking is it voids warranty..... yeah.

Other then that it's superb. I love playing Pokemon Red on my iPhone :D

You can reset it to factory default and your warranty is good to go.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#25 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

Or something that people do in order to get better apps and not be ripped off by Apple's App store. Apple's OS is so locked down that people need to jailbreak it, in order to customize their OS. Also calling people nerds is so 1990's man. By that definition, everyone is a nerd here including you and me. Just having a smartphone and logging into CDC can be considered a nerdy thing to some.

I said it jokingly. Basically I just said it because I have no idea how to do it, then again I don't own an iphone, doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure if I did have one though, I'd be looking to do it.

wmmkuv.jpg

#26 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Nerds

lol really?
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#27 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Nokia Lumia 920 Low light performance vs GS3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d2tERSOKDA&feature=player_embedded

Nokia has the best camera phone on the market.

Edited by Pouria, 22 September 2012 - 11:01 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Nokia Lumia 920 Release Date, Price, Specs: Verizon Carrier Leaked; Why Nokia Maps, Lumia 920 Will Crush Apple iPhone 5

[font=Georgia,]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Books & Review | Jessica Durham
[/font]
Updated: Sep 22, 2012 12:25 PM EDT[/font]
Posted Image
[/font]
(Photo : Reuters) Lumia 920

Nokia has not announced the release date of their new Lumia 920 Windows 8 flagship phone. However, new details emerged about the new smartphone.
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
According to Tapscape , the Verizon handsets list was leaked.
Like Us on Facebook
According to PhoneArena, they've gotten a list of handsets that Verizon will be including in its lineup and it appears that they're getting all of the top-tier Windows 8 phones:
"Verizon will be giving Windows Phone another shot by launching three WP8 smartphones. The Samsung ATIV S, the Nokia Lumia 920, and the HTC Windows Phone 8X are all listed on the leaked roadmap, with November penciled as a potential release time frame."
In terms of price, Tapscape reported that the Lumia 920 will sell for just a little above $500, based on pre-order prices.
"WMPoweruser reveals that Chinese online sites have begun pre-orders for the Nokia Lumia 920 and their asking prices are unbelievably low:
'Now we have reports via WeLoveWP.hk that the Nokia Lumia 920 is going on pre-order at Toaboa, China's largest online shopping site, for only 3,999 HKD (USD $512, £320). WeLoveWP confirmed from their sources that is real.'
There are also great Nokia Lumia 920 bundles on offer such as one that that will throw in an additional wireless charging pad and a bluetooth headset for a mere $700."
Apple has some huge competition. With their newly release iPhone 5, even though it set pre-order records and got the whole world hyped, many showed they would rather buy the Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5.
A Books & Review poll showed that, with 2,901 votes, users would buy the Lumia 920. TheSamsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung's "phablet," got 253 votes. And the iPhone5 got 147 votes. Boo.
The Examiner did a "multimedia showdown" between the iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, and the Lumia 920.
"The winner: It's hard to call, but it looks like the winner may be the Lumia 920," the Examiner concluded. They got this answer because of the Lumia 920's 8.7MP camera, which is said to be the most capable camera yet on a smartphone. Also, the PureView sensor has not only has optical image stabilization, but the latest generation BSI sensor. It also has a Carl Zeiss lens. The camera on the Lumia 920 is said to be an easy digital camera replacement, reported the Examiner.
Apple also ran into some problems with their new maps app. Many iPhone users are not happy and are complaining and frustrated over the new app.
The new maps app is a part of Apple new iOS 6 operating system, and replaced Google Maps. Apple said it was made completely in-house with data from TomTom. It is supposed to have 3D maps and turn-by-turn navigation with spoken directions, and also real-time traffic information, and ability to "fly" over an area and more.
Nokia maps is a huge competitor to Apple maps, as well as Google maps.
Nokia recently took a few jabs at Apple and Google on their blog Sept. 21, according to CNET .
"Unlike our competitors, which are financing their location assets with advertising or licensing mapping content from third parties, we completely own, build and distribute mapping content, platform and apps," the company wrote. "In other words, we truly understand that maps and location-based apps must be accurate, provide the best quality and be accessible basically anywhere. That's been standard practice at Nokia for the past six years, and we also understand that 'pretty' isn't enough."
It looks like Nokia definitely has a huge edge up against Apple maps, and it was recently revealed that many would rather buy Nokia's new flagship phone the Lumia 920 instead of the iPhone 5. The new phone is said to launch at an event Oct. 21, with a release date in November. The new Apple maps could bring more customers to Nokia.
The Lumia 920 runs on Microsoft Windows Phone 8. It takes many of the physical design elements from previous generations of Lumia handsets, but improves on internal hardware and display technology. Some of the new tech specs include PureMotion HD+ 4.5 inch display (1280 x 768 resolution), Dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 processor, NFC chip, 2,000mAh battery, and Qi wireless charging. Nokia is touting the Lumia 920′s premier feature as its new camera lens, the Carl Zeiss lens. It has rounded edges and colorful covers with a PureView camera.
[/font][/font]

[font=Georgia,]

[/font]

Posted Image

#29 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Nokia: Here's why the Lumia 920 is better than the iPhone 5

The company has taken to Facebook to tout the 920's perceived pluses over Apple's new iPhone.

Posted Image

by Lance Whitney
September 21, 2012 9:46 AM PDT

Posted Image
Nokia counts the many ways in which it says the Lumia 920 beats the iPhone 5
(Credit: Screenshot by Lance Whitney/CNET)

Is the Lumia 920 better than the iPhone 5 ? Certainly, Nokia wants to convince you it is.

In a new Facebook post, the Finnish phone maker breaks down the key features found in both smartphones, naturally giving the nod to the 920 in each category. And in many areas, the company does manage to make its case.

The Lumia 920's screen is larger and sharper than the one on the new iPhone. The 920's 4.5-inch screen displays 1,280x768 pixels at 332 pixels per inch. The iPhone 5's 4-inch screen offers 1,136x640 pixels at 326 ppi.

The PureView camera on the Lumia 920 offers 8.7-megapixels with a Carl Zeiss lens, while the iPhone 5 uses an 8-megapixel camera. But unmentioned by Nokia are the improvements in noise reduction, low-light performance, and fast photo taking in the new iPhone's camera.

Both cameras offer a Panoramic mode to let you shoot a single photo covering as much as 360 degrees. Nokia gives itself points for image stabilization, but that feature is also on the iPhone 5. The 920's front-facing camera does win the pixel race, offering 1.2 megapixels compared with the iPhone 5's 720 pixels.

The Lumia 920 is also more touch-sensitive. A new touch technology allows people with long fingernails or gloves to manipulate the screen. Nokia's phone comes in a wider range of colors and offers more accessories than does the iPhone 5.

The winner of the maps contest is a no-brainer, especially in light of Apple's Maps snafu.

The City Lens augmented reality feature found on the Lumia Maps app lets you find local businesses simply by pointing your phone in the right direction, a feature not available on the new iPhone. Nokia is also clearly taking advantage of the backlash against Apple for its Maps mistakes.

Related stories

CNET's comparsion of the iPhone 5, Lumia 920, and Samsung's Galaxy S3 chose the iPhone 5 as the best all-around phone but gave kudos to the 920 based on its specs.

The decision isn't "by any means a blow-away verdict" and is hardly the last word. The review of the iPhone 5 was hands-on, while CNET is waiting for a review unit of the 920 to fully test.

On the surface, the Lumia 920 appears to have the edge over the iPhone 5. But since the 920 isn't out yet, it's difficult to fully compare the two side by side. Nokia will reportedly launch the 920 in early November at which time the two phones can truly go head to head.

Posted Image

#30 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,971 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

lol really?

lol ya?
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.