The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks current achilles heal is...

Lui's Knob

Fans and media bring a massive black cloud to the organization. The team constantly says it doesnt affect them but it of course does, the pressure on this team is indredulous year in and year out and it takes its toll on them. Once they make it over the hump they will alieve themselves of most of the pressure and then the dynasty starts, I cant wait for the dynasty :)

Too many whiners whining too much, going on like they deserve a Cup.

If I were a hockey god, I'd be thinking "you mopers just haven't earned it yet."

But then I'd ignore it all because of Henrik - his performance last playoffs redeemed - when he wins it, he (and some others) will have earned it.

We gotta stop being a 'nice team' and be a 'hard team' . This does not mean be dirty...but we have to not let things slide. Someone gets hit, hit em back. If someone takes a cheap shot on a top guy....fight his a$$.

If we keep being a team that tries to force other teams to take penalties on us and not enforce respect...we'll get run over.

Rules change come playoff time. Things happen harder, faster, etc...and the only thing that could stop some guys from doing so is respect and knowing that if they take a run at a guy...they'll be up next.

#14 needs to score at a consistant place if he wants first line minutes. Yes he is the most clutch player on our team but if he's not producing, it doesn't mean someone else won't do better in his spot.

He's the type of player who'll be just as effective playing on the third as he will on the first

Coach AV is the team's achilles heel.

He wasn't sharp enough to make the "big" call in the SC FInal to play Cory Schneider infront of his home crowd in Game 4 to help diminish the hate-factor...after the Rome-hit of the previous Game.

He wasn't decisive enough to declare his intention of playing the hotter of the 2 Canucks goalies to start or open-up with in the play-offs last year. That talk definitely needed to take place with both netminders goin'-in.

AV mismanages situations with his injured players. He generally expresses little or NO empathy during their recoveries & has failed to prepare replacement players on the roster. He chose to play musical-chairs with his roster for ONE full month...rather than hone some real-continuity on a decisive Plan B line-up.

AV admitted - he did NOT prepare his club for Daniel's absense from the 1st round of the play-offs. Leaked info says the Canucks were inadequately prepared to face the steam-rolling Kings. AV's team floundered without it's natural-chemistry during the last 10 games of the season - even tho' they managed to collect points. They were either unaware of...or mismanaged Kes' injury... & on AV's recommendation traded-away his potential interim replacement & the team's best secondary-scoring option in Hodgson. IF players can't be honest 'bout their goals & wishes...OR the full nature of their injuries...ya gotta ask WHY?

AV made some pretty crass comments 'bout the nature of Ballard's & Hodgson's injuries while they were both recovering...& this obviously has pressured team leaders Kes & Daniel into putting their own health at RISK. My fave D-man... injury-prone veteran Sami Salo - who had a solid year.....got nothin' but a kick in the pants instead of a respectable offer from the Canucks. He had all of this in mind when he bolted for Tampa - mark my words!

Coach AV played newbies Kassian, Pahlsson & Gragnani to distraction when they 1st arrived. They rarely knew which lines they were on from one shift to the next...let alone their "defensive" assignments & they all had their heads on adreneyline-jacked swivels. Burned-out from over-load...they got NO respect when the inevitable mistakes were made. Chris Tanev has been the only Canuck to survive THAT kind of initiation...& he wasn't playin' with 2 other newbies at the same time....on the same shift! What happened to EASIN' new guys into the line-up? So far as AV's play-off preparations went...he FAILED! We expected him to tinker with the line-up....NOT nuclear-bomb-it!

The team's achilles-heel has been Coach AV's decision-making in many of the team's biggest moments. Until he ADMITS to makin' those mistakes...his lackadaisical ways & smug "ego" will continue to be a signifigant part of the problem.

Archived