The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks current achilles heal is...

Lui's Knob

Daniel Sedin: 6'1", Henrik Sedin 6'2", Burrows: 6'1"

That's not small folks.

The problem is they don't play big. And the cold hard reality is we lack high end (i.e. Norris calibre) defense. Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison make for an interesting top 4. But we lack the Shea Weber/Lidstrom/Niedermayer/ and yes Drew Doughty types.

The kind of defense that makes life miserable for the opposing forwards, but can still score timely goals, or set up timely goals.

We need to draft better on the defensive side. We basically need to draft better period. We need to find those late round gems so that we never have to rebuild, we just reload.

We need players with the three S's. Size, Speed, and Skill.

#14 needs to score at a consistant place if he wants first line minutes. Yes he is the most clutch player on our team but if he's not producing, it doesn't mean someone else won't do better in his spot.

He's the type of player who'll be just as effective playing on the third as he will on the first

Scoring & being physical. 2011 we were physical no matter what they say, we just weren't dirty after the whistle in the scrums.

Edler, Bieksa, Hammer, Lappy, Kassian, Burr, Kes, Booth, Ballard all need to be hitting guys all the time & when that happens they will get room which leads to a scoring chance. Stay clean & check hard if they do that then the Canucks will see the finals again.

The problem is we have have too many of the same type of players on the second and third lines. Booth, Higgins, Kesler,Hansen, and kassian all play very similar. After the loss to LA, everyone realized we need more size and grit up front but seem to forget that LA won with very TALENTED size and grit. Kopitar, Brown, Richards etc are miles ahead of the Canucks players I mentioned skill wise ( with the exception of Kesler)

Everyone seems to think that Doan would be the answer, but I think he would have just added to the jumble of players that are already way too similar. And while Doan did have a good playoffs don't forget the contributions of Vermette and Boedker skill/playmaking wise.

It's unfortunate that we weren't willing to beat Ottawa's offer for Turris, and that Florida isn't willing to part with Huberdeau, because a true playmaker setting up the likes of all are hardworking two way players we have ( previously mentioned Booth,Higgins,Hansen etc) is truly what we need.

We've already added to our top six size and grit wise with Kassian, if coach V chooses to use him there of course, and if we don't adress the lack of playmaking ability through a trade I like one of the previous posters ideas of breaking up the sedins to evenly distribute a mix of size and skill through both top two lines.

Daniel - Kesler- burrows

Booth/Higgins - Henrik - Kassian

Could just work

I think the Canucks achilles heel is scoring at EVEN STRENGTH in the playoffs. Sure the Canucks were 1st and 5th in goals for during the regular season but during the playoffs the scoring just isn't there. During the 10-11 playoff run they only scored 2.32 goals per game which is a huge drop from 3.15gpg during the season. Most notably their 5 on 5 goals for / against ratio dropped from 1.32 (NHL best) to 0.88 during the playoffs while their PP% remained about the same.

I think the Canucks achilles heel is scoring at EVEN STRENGTH in the playoffs. Sure the Canucks were 1st and 5th in goals for during the regular season but during the playoffs the scoring just isn't there. During the 10-11 playoff run they only scored 2.32 goals per game which is a huge drop from 3.15gpg during the season. Most notably their 5 on 5 goals for / against ratio dropped from 1.32 (NHL best) to 0.88 during the playoffs while their PP% remained about the same.

Secondary scoring? We finished 5th and 1st the last two years in scoring goals.

Naysayers say secondary scoring has let us down in the play off's...

But as much as there is an element of fact in that last statement statement; the achilles heel was the contributing factors. The achilles heel was injuries; most significantly to Ryan Kesler (in relation to secondary scoring)! And maybe more significant; our lines had weaknesses which left us subject to match up problems.

But there is a solution to all these contributing factors;

1) Our 1st line is small, and very predictable as to when they will play > therefore plan match ups that can physically overwhelm them.

2) Our 2knd line is big, fast and physical and our only 2 way line, but lacks a play maker.

3) Our 3rd line has routinely (except with CoHo) been a defensive only line, effective at that, but also lacks play making.

The solution is to mix and match our best players to craft lines that both have a play maker, and still all compete physically. I suggest Danny/Kess/Booth and Burr/Hank/Kassian. Both top lines would now have speed, size, great goal scoring potential and have world class guys to control the play and distribute.

THEN break out (double shift) Danny and Hank with Burr for key offensive situations > the PP, send them over the boards after every icing against opponents. I reckon the extra play then also gets Danny and Hank on in more situations, which will rejuvenate them. And the team, as our best players will be on the ice in more situations. It's also pretty easy to predict that Kess/Booth would get more goals, and Kassian's development would get a serious boost taking passes from the world's current best passer.

Fans would also see that the Twins compete more than they are given credit for!

:towel:

Fans and media bring a massive black cloud to the organization. The team constantly says it doesnt affect them but it of course does, the pressure on this team is indredulous year in and year out and it takes its toll on them. Once they make it over the hump they will alieve themselves of most of the pressure and then the dynasty starts, I cant wait for the dynasty :)

Regular season secondary scoring was stellar don't get me wrong. The playoffs is what really hurt us injuries aside av doesn't give much chance for chemistery it seems. Its like hes got a frackin hat full of names behind the bench and when crap starts going south he starts pulling out lines. Also one thing i have noticed which really bnothers me is Kesler standing in front of the net on the powerplay getting frackin beaten on by every top D-man on the other teams and the goalie. I mean isn't that why we got booth so he can stand there. Hes much bigger n tuffer then kesler. The last thing kes needs is getting fed 15 crosschecks to the back over the span of 2 periods.

I like you and I like this idea. If Kassian can prove to be serviceable in the top 6, a line of Booth - Henrik - Kassian would be destructive. 2 large power forwards and the best playmaker in the game would be a treat to watch. Kassian is also quite an adept playmaker so maybe he's what Kesler needs: Booth - Kesler - Kassian.

Archived