Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,211 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Daniel Sedin: 6'1", Henrik Sedin 6'2", Burrows: 6'1"

That's not small folks.

The problem is they don't play big. And the cold hard reality is we lack high end (i.e. Norris calibre) defense. Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison make for an interesting top 4. But we lack the Shea Weber/Lidstrom/Niedermayer/ and yes Drew Doughty types.

The kind of defense that makes life miserable for the opposing forwards, but can still score timely goals, or set up timely goals.
We need to draft better on the defensive side. We basically need to draft better period. We need to find those late round gems so that we never have to rebuild, we just reload.

We need players with the three S's. Size, Speed, and Skill.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#62 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

#14 needs to score at a consistant place if he wants first line minutes. Yes he is the most clutch player on our team but if he's not producing, it doesn't mean someone else won't do better in his spot.

He's the type of player who'll be just as effective playing on the third as he will on the first

You mean the same #14 that is 3rd in even strength scoring in the entire NHL the last 3
years?

The #14 that is 2nd in franchise history in SHG?

I'm not so sure were watching the same #14

Edited by Cody Hodgson 9, 22 September 2012 - 11:29 PM.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#63 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

You mean the same #14 that is 3rd in even strength scoring in the entire NHL the last 3
years?

We're DEFINATELY watching two different #14's.

You're watching the one that scored 28 goals last year. In a meaningless season.

I'm watching the one that played on the first line, yet scored one, count em one goal in the first round. Matching the total output from our sniper Jannik Hansen.

Hey remember that Mason Raymond character we all love to hate? What if I told you he put up the same amount of playoff points last year that Alex Burrows did?

He's clutch as hell but as consistant as a regular season Samuellson
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#64 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

years?

We're DEFINATELY watching two different #14's.

You're watching the one that scored 28 goals last year. In a meaningless season.

I'm watching the one that played on the first line, yet scored one, count em one goal in the first round. Matching the total output from our sniper Jannik Hansen.

Hey remember that Mason Raymond character we all love to hate? What if I told you he put up the same amount of playoff points last year that Alex Burrows did?

He's clutch as hell but as consistant as a regular season Samuellson
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#65 LFPM

LFPM

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

a legitimate number one defenceman and not shooting the puck nearly enough.
lee goren..greatest ever?

#66 I am Score

I am Score

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

heel?....
http://www.evgenimalkin.net/gallery/evgeni-malkin-wallpaper-6.jpg

#67 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

Our biggest achilles heal is the teams age and lack of top prospect, and with the current lockout it will make it a even bigger problem as we will only be older.

#68 trollup

trollup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Scoring & being physical. 2011 we were physical no matter what they say, we just weren't dirty after the whistle in the scrums.

Edler, Bieksa, Hammer, Lappy, Kassian, Burr, Kes, Booth, Ballard all need to be hitting guys all the time & when that happens they will get room which leads to a scoring chance. Stay clean & check hard if they do that then the Canucks will see the finals again.

The promblem is, Everytime these guys start hitting, we end up taking a stupid penalty to take away any momentum.

#69 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

The problem is we have have too many of the same type of players on the second and third lines. Booth, Higgins, Kesler,Hansen, and kassian all play very similar. After the loss to LA, everyone realized we need more size and grit up front but seem to forget that LA won with very TALENTED size and grit. Kopitar, Brown, Richards etc are miles ahead of the Canucks players I mentioned skill wise ( with the exception of Kesler)

Everyone seems to think that Doan would be the answer, but I think he would have just added to the jumble of players that are already way too similar. And while Doan did have a good playoffs don't forget the contributions of Vermette and Boedker skill/playmaking wise.

It's unfortunate that we weren't willing to beat Ottawa's offer for Turris, and that Florida isn't willing to part with Huberdeau, because a true playmaker setting up the likes of all are hardworking two way players we have ( previously mentioned Booth,Higgins,Hansen etc) is truly what we need.

We've already added to our top six size and grit wise with Kassian, if coach V chooses to use him there of course, and if we don't adress the lack of playmaking ability through a trade I like one of the previous posters ideas of breaking up the sedins to evenly distribute a mix of size and skill through both top two lines.

Daniel - Kesler- burrows
Booth/Higgins - Henrik - Kassian

Could just work

#70 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

secondary scoring and the ability to be physical but endure the 4 rounds needed to win the cup.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#71 Datsyukian

Datsyukian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Lack of Canadian grit up front.

Nailed it on the head. I don't mean we need a bunch of goons, we just need guys that play their game with more toughness. The Sedin twins are two of the most skilled players in the league but come playoff time they are not the same players as they are in the regular season. Guys like Doan, Toews, Giroux, Marchand, and Bolland are players that elevate their game to a new level come playoff time. We have guys that elevate their game come playoff time like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, and Lapierre to name a few but the Sedin twins don't seem to have that extra gear and we count on them for a great deal of our offense.

#72 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Fan/media negativity.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#73 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

I think the Canucks achilles heel is scoring at EVEN STRENGTH in the playoffs. Sure the Canucks were 1st and 5th in goals for during the regular season but during the playoffs the scoring just isn't there. During the 10-11 playoff run they only scored 2.32 goals per game which is a huge drop from 3.15gpg during the season. Most notably their 5 on 5 goals for / against ratio dropped from 1.32 (NHL best) to 0.88 during the playoffs while their PP% remained about the same.

#74 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

I think the Canucks achilles heel is scoring at EVEN STRENGTH in the playoffs. Sure the Canucks were 1st and 5th in goals for during the regular season but during the playoffs the scoring just isn't there. During the 10-11 playoff run they only scored 2.32 goals per game which is a huge drop from 3.15gpg during the season. Most notably their 5 on 5 goals for / against ratio dropped from 1.32 (NHL best) to 0.88 during the playoffs while their PP% remained about the same.

That's why is risky to rely so much on special teams to win you games. At some point 5 on 5 play has to be a factor.

During the regular season, the Canucks should still have a dominant powerplay, but it's depth scoring that will be needed in the playoffs.

#75 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

Cigarettes.. Daniel has to stop smoking if we're ever gonna win 16 playoff games

#76 Spectacular

Spectacular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Secondary scoring? We finished 5th and 1st the last two years in scoring goals.

Naysayers say secondary scoring has let us down in the play off's...

But as much as there is an element of fact in that last statement statement; the achilles heel was the contributing factors. The achilles heel was injuries; most significantly to Ryan Kesler (in relation to secondary scoring)! And maybe more significant; our lines had weaknesses which left us subject to match up problems.

But there is a solution to all these contributing factors;

1) Our 1st line is small, and very predictable as to when they will play > therefore plan match ups that can physically overwhelm them.
2) Our 2knd line is big, fast and physical and our only 2 way line, but lacks a play maker.
3) Our 3rd line has routinely (except with CoHo) been a defensive only line, effective at that, but also lacks play making.

The solution is to mix and match our best players to craft lines that both have a play maker, and still all compete physically. I suggest Danny/Kess/Booth and Burr/Hank/Kassian. Both top lines would now have speed, size, great goal scoring potential and have world class guys to control the play and distribute.

THEN break out (double shift) Danny and Hank with Burr for key offensive situations > the PP, send them over the boards after every icing against opponents. I reckon the extra play then also gets Danny and Hank on in more situations, which will rejuvenate them. And the team, as our best players will be on the ice in more situations. It's also pretty easy to predict that Kess/Booth would get more goals, and Kassian's development would get a serious boost taking passes from the world's current best passer.

Fans would also see that the Twins compete more than they are given credit for!

:towel:

I like you and I like this idea. If Kassian can prove to be serviceable in the top 6, a line of Booth - Henrik - Kassian would be destructive. 2 large power forwards and the best playmaker in the game would be a treat to watch. Kassian is also quite an adept playmaker so maybe he's what Kesler needs: Booth - Kesler - Kassian.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#77 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

Fans and media bring a massive black cloud to the organization. The team constantly says it doesnt affect them but it of course does, the pressure on this team is indredulous year in and year out and it takes its toll on them. Once they make it over the hump they will alieve themselves of most of the pressure and then the dynasty starts, I cant wait for the dynasty :)

They are professional. It comes with the job that they have fans expecting them to do well.

Also there is no way this team will have a 'dynasty'

#78 pce playoffs

pce playoffs

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Regular season secondary scoring was stellar don't get me wrong. The playoffs is what really hurt us injuries aside av doesn't give much chance for chemistery it seems. Its like hes got a frackin hat full of names behind the bench and when crap starts going south he starts pulling out lines. Also one thing i have noticed which really bnothers me is Kesler standing in front of the net on the powerplay getting frackin beaten on by every top D-man on the other teams and the goalie. I mean isn't that why we got booth so he can stand there. Hes much bigger n tuffer then kesler. The last thing kes needs is getting fed 15 crosschecks to the back over the span of 2 periods.

#79 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,186 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

lol at 'achilles heal' when our 'achilles heel' has been injuries.
Posted Image

#80 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

I like you and I like this idea. If Kassian can prove to be serviceable in the top 6, a line of Booth - Henrik - Kassian would be destructive. 2 large power forwards and the best playmaker in the game would be a treat to watch. Kassian is also quite an adept playmaker so maybe he's what Kesler needs: Booth - Kesler - Kassian.

They've still gotta be questioning Kassian's maturity, professionalism & smarts for the game. He's certainly shown us that he's got the tools to be successful in the NHL....but his attentiveness, committment-level & work ethic (on & off the ice) are just not AS evident as they are with some of the league's best young-stars...like Landeskog or RNH.

Kassian & Niklas Jensen should all be able make the club when &/or IF they start playing again. It could be their hunger to consistantly contribute somethin' extra-ordinary....that might MAKE or BREAK the Canucks' current SC aspirations. Under-achievement by any of their young 'uns is simply NOT an option.

Edited by viking mama, 17 August 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#81 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

lack of grit combined with weak secondary scoring and injuries

grit: need at least one mean sob on the team. period.

secondary scoring: if Kesler is totally healthy, this isn't an issue.

injuries: they have been real issues. lost Malholtra, Kesler, Raymond... all 3 of those players are shadows of their former selves. Imagine if Malholtra was still a selke candidate, Kesler was a consistent 30-40 goal guy who was rarely injured and gritty as hell, and Raymond was still a 25-goal dirty area player?

injuries are the biggest thing. say what you want about the refs, but it was injuries that cost us the scf... sigh... what else if f#king new!!!

#82 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Posted Image

IMO. Just not s-m-r-t (doh!) .

Ever notice how other teams figure out ways to shutdown, score and win while the Canucks just keep doing the same thing or they spin the wheel of random line combinations believing things will turn around eventually?..... Works over 82 when you have the talent. Not so effective in a best-of-7.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#83 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Inability to adapt and find ways to win.

#84 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Nailed it on the head. I don't mean we need a bunch of goons, we just need guys that play their game with more toughness. The Sedin twins are two of the most skilled players in the league but come playoff time they are not the same players as they are in the regular season. Guys like Doan, Toews, Giroux, Marchand, and Bolland are players that elevate their game to a new level come playoff time. We have guys that elevate their game come playoff time like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, and Lapierre to name a few but the Sedin twins don't seem to have that extra gear and we count on them for a great deal of our offense.

Yah. The Sedins are definitely 2 of the most generous, humane, classy & SKILLED players in the NHL... who may NOT appear to be the same players in the play-offs as they are in the regular season....'cuz the NHLOA inexplicably deploys an officiating corps in SC play-offs - that referee games to a standard that's a complete confounded MYSTERY!

Many 1st round games of the SC play-offs last season were a travesty. Altered officiating standards favored teams that rely on bully-tactics & head-hunting to steal games & obtain the violent headlines needed to fill arena-seats with meat-head fans of MMA & WWE. Purist hockey skills were DAMNED...unless ur diggin' right-hooks, left-jabs, & stick-swinging-chops to arms, legs, or noggins. Ironically the Canucks/Kings series altho' tough...was actually the cleanest 1st round match-up. YET that permitted tone upon the game's biggest stage - was shameful. Flashy skills shouldn't be takin' a back-seat to... violent CHEATING.

Don't get me wrong - I cheer loud for team-toughness & hard-checking. I get amped when a player bull-dozes thru the D & digs a puck out of an impossible scrum or gives a punishing hit to make a play. But irrational & un-anticipated violence arguably threatens to permanently take the most-skilled players in the world away from the game (Crosby, Daniel Sedin, Hossa, Alfredsson). And - DON'T all say - it's just the common RISKS everyone assumes to play the sport! These are elite athletes & role-models...who happen to be life-time providers as fathers, sons & brothers...& I think they DESERVE better.

Rules for football, soccer, basketball & other team contact sports...safeguard those players way better. The NHL needs to get serious about eliminating "INTENT TO INJURE" events from their game....including most of the "pre-meditated" fighting. Sorry - but social convention & modern science dictate that....it's now time.

Edited by viking mama, 26 September 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#85 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

I love the guys on the team but sometimes I hate how we're built.

We spend to the cap, but our two best forwards can't play on seperate lines (that hurts),
add a converted third liner that might only get 15-20 goals on most other lines in the league,
add to that our first line is extremely tiny
We have about 3 guys that play on the second or first line that shouldn't be there ... ever: Higgins, Raymond, Hansen
2nd line obviously has no playmaker and therefore no chemistry.
Our fourth line has little in terms of identity outside of Lappy and is basically there to win faceoffs
2/4 of our top 4 D has no idea what D is

Other than that I really like our goaltending situation.

I agree with most of what you say here, except for the D comments. Hammy, Bieksa, Edler and even Tanev have shown excellent D awareness. Now we have Garrison in the mix as well, our only weak D man is Alberts, but he is a crowd favorite. Edler is turning into an amazing D man and yeah we don't have a superstar defense, but it has excellent depth and they certainly know what D is.

I think our achilles heel actually is the fans. Through media we put too much pressure on our players and that causes our playoff woes. Why would our star players choke? Because there is too much pressure. You think Luongo would face the same pressure playing for a smaller fan base? Of course not. I am not saying negative attention, but all the attention piled on key players is going to affect them. They are human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.