The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Watch Guy Boucher’s awesome hockey stick baseball pitch at Tampa Bay Rays game (VIDEO)

sorry if already posted, i searched but there was no result on this...

*vid of first pitch @ this link...

http://sports.yahoo....13409--nhl.html

Sometimes, hockey folks show off their stick skills in other sporting venues. Please recall Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins attempting

to promote the 2011 Winter Classic at Heinz Field, for example.

On Friday night, Tampa Bay Lightning head coach Guy Boucher was invited to throw out the first pitch at the Tampa Bay Rays' home game against the Toronto Blue Jays, in celebration of the Bolts' 20th anniversary season. (Which, thanks to the NHL's second lockout in seven years, sadly may not happen.)

Rather than pitching one to home plate, Boucher opted for something a little more hockey-centric: Taking a stick to the mound and shooting the baseball into the mitt of catcher Stephen Vogt, who also was carrying some hockey lumber.

And a perfect strike, no less.

Now why didn't Tom Glavine — MLB legend and Los Angeles Kings draft pick in 1984 — ever think of that?

(Besides the fact that giving pitchers a hockey stick helps even up the weaponry if a batter charges the mound.)

After his wrist shot pitch, Boucher spoke with The Tampa Tribune about the NHL work stoppage:

"I'd be a liar to say I'm not afraid (of a lengthy lockout)," Boucher said. "Especially as a group right now, the organization from top to bottom are very enthusiastic about the momentum we have with our fans and the building, the new players we acquired this summer. There is so much positive stuff going for us, it would be sad if (the lockout) was long. But you have to take care of the business before you get down to the fun part, and I'm lucky enough not to be part of it. I just sit on the fence waiting for both sides to get something done while staying positive until it gets done."

here's a practice clip...

Archived