37 replies to this topic

#1 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

There was a protest in Montreal Saturday when some students demanded free university tuition. Several policemen were hurt by projectiles thrown by students.

http://www.theglobea...article4561489/

#2 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

I get free tuition. As does every Scottish student studying within Scotland.

Violent protests aren't going to get them anywhere though.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 23 September 2012 - 01:07 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Not condoning the violence, but good for them, education should be free, or at least a fraction of its current cost.

#4 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Wouldn't that mean more taxes for the people of Quebec? don't see this happening anytime soon.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Special thanks to Guava & Egatti !

#5 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,765 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

First world problems.

Not saying they're all self-entitled but these students make the rest of us look bad.

Look at the world that they live in. You'd be hard-pressed to find education in some countries that are willing to offer it, let alone free education.

Fact is, education costs money from somewhere. They are spending more time trying to make the papers than they are trying to hand in their papers.

Maybe, just maybe.. you can't afford school tuition. Not everyone can at the age of 18-28. There's always alternative routes to higher education that don't cost as much as university.

Edited by Dazzle, 23 September 2012 - 01:28 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#6 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, cause their tuition is already soooo much :rolleyes:
They feel entitled to things that most other Canadians don't even imagine.
Posted Image

#7 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

The only thing I can really see happening from free tuition is taxes going up and quality of education going down.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#8 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

So how come this is only an issue in quebec and not in other provinces? Can someone tell me the whole details of whats going on with the students since I havent been that up to date
Go Canucks Go

#9 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Perhaps, like many of their parents, they expect a level of entitlement befitting their station within Confederation? .. maybe they offer free college tuition in France? .. I will chip in for a one-way ticket .. sacre' bleu!! .. mon Dieu!! (mon Dieu is for you, Heretic .. :P)
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#10 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

POPULAR

Yeah, cause their tuition is already soooo much :rolleyes:
They feel entitled to things that most other Canadians don't even imagine.

That's your fault, not theirs. Just because you didn't have the desire for free education doesn't make them bad folk for wanting it.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#11 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

The only thing I can really see happening from free tuition is taxes going up and quality of education going down.

Not true. Germany has free tuition, and their average post secondary school ranks higher than the average American post secondary school, which have some of the highest tuition rates in the western world. There is absolutely no evidence that shows what you say is true. Tuition costs and rate of education have absolutely NO correlation with each other. This is such a "Fox News" thing to say. Who needs actual facts, right? Believe it or not most teachers get into the business because they love teaching, and not because of they pay. They still get paid higher than the average person in Germany as well.

Your point is absurd. It's like how Americans say that free healthcare will hurt their quality of hospitals, yet the average Canadian hospital ranks WAY higher than the average American hospital. The average Canadian doctor also makes more than the average American one. Not to mention the American healthcare system is the worst in the western world.

Free tuition is a basic right in some countries in Europe. Not a coincidence the ones that have it are doing well, but the more conservative nations like Greece are in the toilet.

#12 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

That's your fault, not theirs. Just because you didn't have the desire for free education doesn't make them bad folk for wanting it.

Not only were you a great lawyer on Arrested Development, I am also sure you are a genius! Great point.

#13 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Not true. Germany has free tuition, and their average post secondary school ranks higher than the average American post secondary school, which have some of the highest tuition rates in the western world. There is absolutely no evidence that shows what you say is true. Tuition costs and rate of education have absolutely NO correlation with each other. This is such a "Fox News" thing to say. Who needs actual facts, right? Believe it or not most teachers get into the business because they love teaching, and not because of they pay. They still get paid higher than the average person in Germany as well.

Your point is absurd. It's like how Americans say that free healthcare will hurt their quality of hospitals, yet the average Canadian hospital ranks WAY higher than the average American hospital. The average Canadian doctor also makes more than the average American one. Not to mention the American healthcare system is the worst in the western world.

Free tuition is a basic right in some countries in Europe. Not a coincidence the ones that have it are doing well, but the more conservative nations like Greece are in the toilet.

What you fail to mention is that Germany also uses a streaming system. Kids in highschool are put into two different types of highschool. In 1 stream they are allowed to go to university, and in the other they are streamed into trades and manual labour jobs. Germany has one of the lowest percentages of university enrollment in Europe.

In Canada, the government pays the vast majority of your university tuition. If we limited enrollment, we could get the entire thing paid for. However, this would also mean preventing many students from getting any university education at all. Germany's system limits students from going to University, not helps them.

#14 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,591 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

They can do whatever they want so long as the province pays for it themselves. Otherwise, feel free to go with $3000/yr, or what we call "Canada's lowest post-secondary tuition"

#15 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Better ways to go about it than rioting.
Posted Image

#16 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

I agree it should be cheaper, but free? please... How about instead of complaining about tuition they do well in secondary school, earn scholarships, and put a little bit of elbow grease into their lives. Gen-Y expects everything to be handed to them.

Quebec would do this...

Edited by Neufy161, 23 September 2012 - 07:14 PM.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#17 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

Better ways to go about it than rioting.

Such as? They've already voted in a social democrat, sovereigntist party.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#18 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

They pay 3k a year for University? Are you serious? That's like 1 of my semesters. They can go jump in a lake, lower BC's prices first.

#19 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

If Mrs. Marois wants to provide free tuition to her independent nations students I think that's great. But until she stops taking handouts from Canada they should buck up.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#20 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Free tuition for everyone and anyone will create major problems in society.

You can essentially be a homeless bum without being one. A school lifer who just leeches around taking 10 years to finish their degree while taking every liberal arts class available. There are already people who do this with paid tuition. They just rack up massive student debt and get student loans, then default on them. They don't take anything seriously.

And school can be free if you get the scholarships. So if you are truely deserving, then it will practically be free. I highly doubt any of these rioters fall into that category.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#21 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,591 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

CLASSE, the organizers of the 22septembre protests, are not included in the Marois discussions on higher education taking place next year. Who can blame Marios for not inviting a far-left militant group hell-bent on achieving its goals through goon tactics, thuggery, and violence?

#22 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

You are half right. Taxes will go up but education does not go down. Germany is a great example of that. You do have to have the marks to get into the courses like in Canada but no tuition. You still have to pay for your books and living expenses. In germany, if your parents make enough money then you have to pay for those mentioned above (not including tuition), whereas if your parents can't afford it then the government helps with that too. I paid 52% of my wage to taxes when I lived there, but my wife paid less. You can take different tax brackets to combat the loss. I was the highest tax bracket, as I made less money then my wife. So it made more sense for me to have more taxes taken off my paycheck and save on hers. They are doing it right over there. Everyone has a right to education and the big universities are pricing everyone out. My wife went to humboldt uni, which is one of the top unis in Germany. She is a doctor and has no debt and is not broke from becoming one. Germany is one of the few countries that is not desperate for doctors. There were almost 200 doctors in my wife graduating class, for that semester, and just in Berlin. Now imagine how many Canadian doctors there would be with that kind of opportunity.

#23 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

What you fail to mention is that Germany also uses a streaming system. Kids in highschool are put into two different types of highschool. In 1 stream they are allowed to go to university, and in the other they are streamed into trades and manual labour jobs. Germany has one of the lowest percentages of university enrollment in Europe.

In Canada, the government pays the vast majority of your university tuition. If we limited enrollment, we could get the entire thing paid for. However, this would also mean preventing many students from getting any university education at all. Germany's system limits students from going to University, not helps them.

What you fail to mention is that the people who end up becoming trades people do not have the marks to become a doctor or lawyer. So why should they waste tax payers money in sending a person to law school when they are not going to pass? Keep in mind that the crap jobs pay well in Germany. Garbage collectors make over 4000 euros a month, after taxes. They pay well because with free education nobody wants to collect garbage. The system is working so why change it. Canada's and the us system is not working so time to fix it.

Someone else mentioned the person wasting the time taking crappy courses. A friend of mine, who is a German had a set time limit to complete her degree. She did not get it done so the government stopped paying. It is a great system as long as you have the rules to stop the cheaters.

#24 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

I want a free house!

#25 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Yeah, they voted in a party that wants Quebec to separate from Canada despite the massive amount of handouts they get from the Federal Government, but at the same time they expect them to increase government spendings. Things don't work that way, the money has to come from somewhere.

CLASSE are a bunch of spoiled brats who don't understand how good they have it compared to the rest of Canada, yet still feel entitled, to be even better off. They're basically like those kids whose parents buy them a Mercedes for their birthday and cry because it wasn't a Ferrari.
Posted Image

#26 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

The point is to then make it merit based rather than ability-to-pay based.

There are skilled people who make the decision to not go to university because of financial reasons. This limits their future potential and limits our collective future potential as a country.

Imagine if Wayne Gretzky's parents couldn't have afforded to put him in hockey.
Moo

#27 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

There is no solution for the students. The university, as does every other business on the planet, needs revenue or funding in order to operate. If students expect not to pay for their education, then everybody else must. Hooray for higher taxes. If nobody is providing the school with a source of income, then the employees can not be paid, and the school will cease to operate.

Also, student loans. Live at home. Scholarships, bursaries. There are options.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 September 2012 - 12:11 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#28 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

The point is to then make it merit based rather than ability-to-pay based.

There are skilled people who make the decision to not go to university because of financial reasons. This limits their future potential and limits our collective future potential as a country.

Imagine if Wayne Gretzky's parents couldn't have afforded to put him in hockey.

The problem with "merit" based entrace is:

1) A lot of people pull their act together later in life. Streaming them into a trade for the rest of their lives because they got a C in Math 10 is ridiculous; and

2) Merit based entrance weighs heavily in favor of the rich. Children in poor homes don't get the attention and involvement towards school they need, and rich peolpe can afford better tutors.

What you fail to mention is that the people who end up becoming trades people do not have the marks to become a doctor or lawyer. So why should they waste tax payers money in sending a person to law school when they are not going to pass? Keep in mind that the crap jobs pay well in Germany. Garbage collectors make over 4000 euros a month, after taxes. They pay well because with free education nobody wants to collect garbage. The system is working so why change it. Canada's and the us system is not working so time to fix it.

Garbage men make just as much in Canada. Nobody wants to collect garbage here either....I really don't get your point about free education there at all. In Germany less people get to go to University.

Your point about tradespeople "failing" is also ridiculous. I know plenty of people who rocked it in high school but failed out of university and vice versa. Once again, preventing someone from going to university because they got a C in math 10 is ridiculous.

#29 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Less people should likely be going to university here too. Fact is a lot of kids "waste" time and money going to university here because it's what you're "supposed" to do". Our high schools funnel everyone down the same "university path" as though it's the only option. A lot of those kids would be better off going to trades/technical/apprenticeship etc and open up spots for people who would benefit from it.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#30 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

I want a free house!

then riot for it! Don't be so lazy!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.