The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quebec Students Demand Free University Tuition

DonLever

What you fail to mention is that Germany also uses a streaming system. Kids in highschool are put into two different types of highschool. In 1 stream they are allowed to go to university, and in the other they are streamed into trades and manual labour jobs. Germany has one of the lowest percentages of university enrollment in Europe.

In Canada, the government pays the vast majority of your university tuition. If we limited enrollment, we could get the entire thing paid for. However, this would also mean preventing many students from getting any university education at all. Germany's system limits students from going to University, not helps them.

What you fail to mention is that Germany also uses a streaming system. Kids in highschool are put into two different types of highschool. In 1 stream they are allowed to go to university, and in the other they are streamed into trades and manual labour jobs. Germany has one of the lowest percentages of university enrollment in Europe.

In Canada, the government pays the vast majority of your university tuition. If we limited enrollment, we could get the entire thing paid for. However, this would also mean preventing many students from getting any university education at all. Germany's system limits students from going to University, not helps them.

The point is to then make it merit based rather than ability-to-pay based.

There are skilled people who make the decision to not go to university because of financial reasons. This limits their future potential and limits our collective future potential as a country.

Imagine if Wayne Gretzky's parents couldn't have afforded to put him in hockey.

Less people should likely be going to university here too. Fact is a lot of kids "waste" time and money going to university here because it's what you're "supposed" to do". Our high schools funnel everyone down the same "university path" as though it's the only option. A lot of those kids would be better off going to trades/technical/apprenticeship etc and open up spots for people who would benefit from it.

The problem with "merit" based entrace is:

1) A lot of people pull their act together later in life. Streaming them into a trade for the rest of their lives because they got a C in Math 10 is ridiculous; and

2) Merit based entrance weighs heavily in favor of the rich. Children in poor homes don't get the attention and involvement towards school they need, and rich peolpe can afford better tutors.

Garbage men make just as much in Canada. Nobody wants to collect garbage here either....I really don't get your point about free education there at all. In Germany less people get to go to University.

Your point about tradespeople "failing" is also ridiculous. I know plenty of people who rocked it in high school but failed out of university and vice versa. Once again, preventing someone from going to university because they got a C in math 10 is ridiculous.

I understand what you are saying but you are not taking into account how many people in Canada are going to university and doing the easy courses just to get by. That is a spot wasted for someone who deserves to be there. Also when you graduate from university in Germany and have a degree you can work in that position. If you do not have the schooling for a managers position then you will never get the job, unless the company is willing to send you for the training. Education is a big thing in Germany. As for marks. Why should I get in when I have scraped by with my marks when you bust your butt in school and get good marks. I thought a lot like you when before I lived in Germany then realized that Canada's system is flawed. The German one is too, but atleast the poor have the opportunity to go to university and not have thousands of dollars debt to sort out after. I am a strong believer in free education and free medical ( or atleast very cheap medical)

I understand what you are saying but you are not taking into account how many people in Canada are going to university and doing the easy courses just to get by. That is a spot wasted for someone who deserves to be there. Also when you graduate from university in Germany and have a degree you can work in that position. If you do not have the schooling for a managers position then you will never get the job, unless the company is willing to send you for the training. Education is a big thing in Germany. As for marks. Why should I get in when I have scraped by with my marks when you bust your butt in school and get good marks. I thought a lot like you when before I lived in Germany then realized that Canada's system is flawed. The German one is too, but atleast the poor have the opportunity to go to university and not have thousands of dollars debt to sort out after. I am a strong believer in free education and free medical ( or atleast very cheap medical)

The government (at least in BC.) already pays for 70% of the would-be tuition.

Systems that are free are abused. Look at what has happened to free summer-schooling.

More than half of the scholarships accessible by students are never claimed. Most of these students probably haven't even applied for them.

Working a part-time job, getting a student loan, applying for a line of credit, applying for a scholarship, applying for a bursary, your parents saving up money (maybe not), working a year or two before school, having a part-time job, settling for a cheaper program or doing co-op. By exhausting some of these you are more than able to get in to post-secondary system. I got in with an initial balance of $0, with $0 parental contribution, I applied for a student loan, was rejected, then took out a like of credit. Aswell, I also got accepted for a bursary.

MOST students can get a student-loan, so surely to god if I can do it you can. You have nothing to complain about.

Archived