The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Morality vs Pragmatism

Canuckerbird

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Although I am not the poster, I disagree with your post.

I say this because as pet owners, we treat our pets as if they were our own kids - who in their right mind wouldn't save their kids if they were in danger? Sure, most people might think that a human life is more important than an animals life, but I find this situation unique.

Thousands of people die everyday and most of us don't even blink an eye. However, it would be a difficult situation to sacrifice someone who has been with you for many years and someone you love very well (in the posters case, it is his cat).

I believe that we should respect the poster's decision to protect his cat. We don't know what they have gone through in life and why the cat is so special to him/her. That being said, I also respect your opinion.

I say this because as pet owners, we treat our pets as if they were our own kids - who in their right mind wouldn't save their kids if they were in danger? Sure, most people might think that a human life is more important than an animals life, but I find this situation unique.

Thousands of people die everyday and most of us don't even blink an eye. However, it would be a difficult situation to sacrifice someone who has been with you for many years and someone you love very well (in the posters case, it is his cat).

I believe that we should respect the poster's decision to protect his cat. We don't know what they have gone through in life and why the cat is so special to him/her. That being said, I also respect your opinion.

1. Yes I'd save the person I love.

2. As it is worded now, I voted to let Tokyo go boom while keeping RA's 19,000 alive. If instead of destroying RA, killing all inside, the choice was to let them die or let Tokyo die... then I would have picked saving Tokyo.

And ftr, I'd choose my pets over strangers as well.

how many people do you know that would be devastated if you were killed? for myself probably around a hundred. probably somewhere in that ballpark for most people. so boom, that's now 100 000 people being negatively impacted instead of ONE house pet which probably has 5-10 years left in its life anyway, and who's death would make you and maybe a couple other people pretty sad for a while. that is selfish on a level that it confuses me to think about.

Was she more or less innocent than Mrs. Hitler? The greater implication being that there would be a Stanley Cup banner hanging from the rafters today, if not two. And Linden would have never been traded. To be a Messier apologist in any form is offensive from a Canucks fan point of view.

How has no one posted a Spock video yet?

Q2 - I'd say blow up RA... but then again, if the question was sacrifice a rodent or blow up Rogers Arena I'd say blow it up. I really hate Rogers. GM place on the other, I'd say say screw Tokoyo.

Q1 - I'd save my loved one, obviously. Has no one here seen The Box? Or the Twilight Zone episode it was based on? Or heard that great riddle from 16 Blocks?

Mos Def - "You're driving in a hurricane and you see three people at a bus stop. One is an old lady and she's sick. One is your best friend and he saved your life. And the third is the lady of your dreams. Now check it out, you only have room for one in your car, which one do you take?"

Willis - "Oh yea, you give the car keys to your best friend and you let him take the old lady to the hospital. You stay at the bus stop with the girl because she's the girl of your dreams, right?"

You're not seriously comparing Messier to Hitler right?

I 'get' your hatred of Messier: his arrival in a Canuck uniform, the tenure that he had and his departure and its after-effects. I get it. That really doesn't make me a Messier apologist. In fact, if you've noticed, I have never thrown any compliments and probably never will in this thread regarding him. Love how you thrown names my way just because I call you out for behaviour that is beyond childish.

It's just wrong to compare Messier to a well-known mass-murderer, who may not necessarily have killed people (Jewish or not) directly but he called for it and didn't stop it after-the-fact. He is complicit with the murders.

Also... her mom has/had nothing to do with Messier acting like a douche - why does she have to die?

If we were to dig up every crap that you might have done in your life, someone in the world probably will have an (unreasonable) proposal to murder your mom. Would you want that?

What you're calling for is atrocious.

Oh for frack sake get a grip and some reading comprehension skills. Who's comparing anything here besides you. Someone suggested going back in time to kill an innocent woman, Mrs. Hitler. I get tired of cliched arguements like "If you could go back in time would you kill Hitlers Mom?" so I throw something out like, as long as I'm going back in time and we all seem OK with killing innocent women, why not make it something interesting and relevant? Geez people lighten up already.Hitlers been done to death,that's all. frack man maybe you should go have yourself a nice big bowl of valium soup and curl up with a good book like on of my personal favorites "Searching for Comedy in a Muslim World.

DAN: We were supposed to make the world a better place.

ADRIAN:

Dan, that's exactly what I am doing.

DAN:

Nuclear war?

Human extinction?

ADRIAN: Of course, my moral safeguards gave me pause at the necessary sacrifice.

A few key regions around the globe:

New York, Los Angeles, Moscow, Hong Kong... disintegrated in an instant.

Fifteen million people killed by Dr. Manhattan himself. The world's punishment for flirting with World War III.

DAN: Jon wouldn't do that.

ADRIAN: A fact no one outside this room ever has to know. The energy breakthrough I was working on just came to fruition. All these years, Jon was helping me replicate his power unaware of how I planned to use it.

You see... the Comedian was right. Humanity's savage nature will inevitably lead to global annihilation. So in order to save this planet...I had to trick it with the greatest practical joke in human history.

DAN: Killing millions.

ADRIAN:- To save billions. A necessary crime.

Archived