The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it too early to cancel flights (re lockout)? (advice required)

sydney_gal

Hi everyone, I just have a quick question for you: I purchased tickets to fly (from Australia) to Vancouver to watch the Canuck home games in February 2013. In your experience, do you think that the dispute causing the lockout will be resolved shortly? Will the schedules change when (and if) the season resumes?

I just don't know whether I should cancel my flights and get the airline tickets refunded and would appreciate any thoughts on this (being a hockey neophyte, I haven't experienced a lockout before and I'm not sure what to do).

Am so devastated about the lockout ...... like everyone else.

Anyway thanks in advance for any advice!

Depends on the rules for your airline. Many airlines don't give out refunds, only issue credits for future flights. Or, if they do give you a refund, it's subject to a fee.

My suggestion is to check the cancellation rules of your airline. There may be no risk in hanging on to those tickets until you absolutely know whether there will be hockey to come watch.

Personally, I think this whole thing will be resolved before Christmas.

Depends on the rules for your airline. Many airlines don't give out refunds, only issue credits for future flights. Or, if they do give you a refund, it's subject to a fee.

My suggestion is to check the cancellation rules of your airline. There may be no risk in hanging on to those tickets until you absolutely know whether there will be hockey to come watch.

Personally, I think this whole thing will be resolved before Christmas.

Thanks so much everyone for your prompt replies!

I think I’ll take your advice and remain optimistic and wait it out. I can easily have the airline tickets refunded at any time thanks to Air Canada’s great refund policy with only a small cancellation fee.

I was sooooo excited the prospect of seeing all those fantastic games scheduled for that week in February – I could not believe I would be going actually going to real games (after watching so much hockey on TV) and seeing my beloved Canucks play – it’s what got me through winter here in Sydney (shouldn’t say that, because winter here is very mild and warm compared to winter in Canada).

I've already been to your gorgeous city twice before (but that was before I discovered ice hockey!) and cannot wait to go again. Since we are coming primarily for the hockey, if the season is cancelled, it just means I'll be back later in the year.

Archived