The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The worst player ever to suit up as a Canuck...

Lui's Knob

Lonny bohonos

Roman oksiuta

Adrian Plavsic - I remember when the Canucks were tied or leading by one goal he would always give up the puck or let the guy who scored walk around him. I hated him, worst defenseman in Canucks history

Troy gamble - we drafted him two spots ahead of joe niewendyk

Jason getter - also one of the biggest draft busts in the illustrious Canucks draft history

Depends on what you mean by worst. If were talking relative value to the team from a performance perspective, I'd have to say players who played an entire season (or most of one) for the sample size to be worthwhile.

1. Marc Chouinard, not only due to the value that was placed on his abilities, but because of his overwhelming ability to underachieve in the most epic of fashions.

2. Mark Messier. The season prior to his arrival in Vancouver, he had 36G 48A for 84P and a +12 in 71 games. His first season marked his best offensive point totals as a Canuck; 22G 38A 60P and a -10. He literally shat the bed. His subsequent two seasons were better offensively, but played far fewer games. More than his lackluster point totals was the damage and destruction he wreaked on this franchise, albeit I firmly believe had Messier not come here there is a good chance we would never have experienced the WCE era, so I'm a little conflicted.

3. I don't know how Brent Sopel hasn't been mentioned in this list. That guy was probably the single most overrated player to ever play on the Canucks, and that's saying a lot, not to mention the re-acquisition of Sopel led to the Kings drafting Wayne Simmonds in 2007, which let's be honest as basically a 3rd round pick the Canucks probably would have drafted someone totally off the board anyway.

OP you should have created some sort of criteria. Mark Messier was not the worst player, he is actually the best. Heck even though he sucked in Vancouver he was still awarded team MVP one season. I won't argue, however, that he was one of the worst signings in team hitstory.

If you provided some sort of era, minimum number of games etc. this would be much more interesting. Also a lot of people are saying guys who were pretty average but by no means terrible (Steve Bernier).

Looking at modern era guys with a minimum of 10 games, I would have to go with:

Rucinsky - 2 goals 3 assists in 20 games playing with one of the best offensive talents in the league

Wade Brookbank/Darren Langdon - Enforcer who could not play.

Lee Goren - Painfully slow. Minus player, did not contribute anything.

Eric Weinrich - He was a -13 in 16 games. Big reason we missed the playoffs.

Yanick Tremblay - He managed a 3 point game but finished his stint with 3 points, -6 in 12 games.

Marc Chouinard - Terrible fourth line player, was expected to contribute after scoring 14 goals the previous year. VERY SLOW.

Jeff Cowan - Pretty good his first year but AWFUL his second year. One point in 46 games as a punching bag.

Dishonourable mentions:

Patrick Colombe - Didn't make the games cut. -6 in 7 games. Couldn't even stick in the AHL after.

Maxime Ouelett - Much worse than his numbers indicate. Shakiest goalie I have ever seen. Played 16 professional games after leaving the Canucks, split between the ECHL, 2nd Div German League and LNAH. I can't believe he spent most of the year as our backup! Not even AHL backup calibre.

Always an unfair topic, since the 'worst players' tend to not play at all, and then how can you see them to determine how bad they truly are?

Change perhaps to most-overrated? The Canucks have been the most-overrated team recently, so there should be plenty of current options. Luongo, Kesler, Raymond, etc. Quite redundant though. Then the historic ones ... Cloutier, Messier, etc. Also quite redundant. Then the recently-departed ones ... Wellwood, Grabner, Hodgson, etc. Beaten to death.

Overall, there's not much left to be said about any of this. But we'll say it again anyway out of boredom.

Archived