Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The worst player ever to suit up as a Canuck...

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#151 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

Cloutier the worst player to ever suit up as a Canuck? Jesus..

#152 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Cloutier the worst player to ever suit up as a Canuck? Jesus..

Not saying he's the worst or the guy I'm comparing him to is but:

(Regular season only)

Kirk McLean
516 games played
211 games won
40% winning percentage

Cloutier
208 games played
109 games won
50% winning percentage
Posted Image

#153 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'd have to say Marc Chouinard. There were a great number of players that Nonis signed that were down right horrible. You could find a few players in that era.
Posted Image

#154 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Definetly Jan Bulis.

I can never remember being so frustrated with a particular player.

One of his countrymen annoyed me more.
Petr Nedved.
Picked him 2nd overall (and then took Antoski in the 1st round as well) -
Jagr went 5th overall - Tkachuk a spot after Antoski, and Martin Brodeur after Tkachuk. OUCH!!!
Nedved looked on the borderline of bust, then had one good season in Vancouver, and then he held out.
Anyway - Nedved's annoying holdout actually had a pretty damn good result - Canucks were awarded Janney as compensation, who they flipped back to St. Louis for Jeff Brown, Brett Hedican and Nathan Lafayette.
Not the worst Canuck ever, but wasn't exactly disappointed to see him go...

#155 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

As for the worst actual player, there would be so many guys who never made it out of camp or had one shift during pre season or whatever. Its way to hard to tell .

So I will have to go with who the worst player was in a canucks uniform in terms of the destruction they brought to the franchise.

There are several guys including

Michel Petit.

Russ Courtnall

Pit Martin

Martin Rusinksy

I would even argue Barry Petersen but only because of how good Neely became.

But ALL absolutely PALE in comparison to the # destructive force in all of Canuck history. All combined do not even touch the destructive power of this one guy.

Mark Messier.
Posted Image

#156 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Cody Hodgson :bigblush:
Posted Image

#157 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Petr Nedved.
Jagr went 5th overall - Tkachuk a spot after Antoski, and Martin Brodeur after Tkachuk. OUCH!!!
Nedved looked on the borderline of bust, then had one good season in Vancouver, and then he held out.
Anyway - Nedved's annoying holdout actually had a pretty damn good result - Canucks were awarded Janney as compensation, who they flipped back to St. Louis for Jeff Brown, Brett Hedican and Nathan Lafayette.

Yeah I was watching some video's on that draft year last night.

He seemed really good though, his junior stats, were amazing and when they talked about how interested in him we were I thaught it was a good move, then I saw Jagr a few picks later and though "What if".

He wasn't all that great for us other than that one 70 point season, but he was still a fairly productive player. Personally I have no issue with him, but I wasn't old enough to recall when his draft so your opinion holds more merrit.

zackass.png

#158 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yeah I was watching some video's on that draft year last night.

He seemed really good though, his junior stats, were amazing and when they talked about how interested in him we were I thaught it was a good move, then I saw Jagr a few picks later and though "What if".

He wasn't all that great for us other than that one 70 point season, but he was still a fairly productive player. Personally I have no issue with him, but I wasn't old enough to recall when his draft so your opinion holds more merrit.

It was a fairly good draft but had its bust moments. Nedved was no bust, he was about as good as he was supposed to be. Both Brodeur and Jagr turned into multi generational Hall of Fame talent . We are all very lucky to have watched hockey with them on the ice.

The 91 draft is probably the deepest draft I have ever seen. Then the 88 draft then the 2003 draft.
Posted Image

#159 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Probably Dana Murzyn. He skated like he looked - ugly.

#160 Kubrick

Kubrick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Well Jeff Brown sleeps with teammates wives so....how are we defining worst player?
Posted Image

#161 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

I agree. However, the disappointment was as much as case of unrealistic expectations, as it was anything that Messier did, or didn't do.

How could fans not expect a lot from a guy nicknamed "the messiah"?
Ah what the hell, he probably chose that nickname for himself.

#162 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Steve Bernier.

I've never seen a 6'3" 220lb guy play like such a wimp. Until I looked up his stats, I thought he was 6' 195lb. I know it was only two years, but it felt like he was here FOREVER. Probably because he seemed like a huge disappointment every time he stepped on the ice.

I dunno man, Bernier was a pretty good 4th liner for the Devils last season... It's mostly because he's probably used to 3rd/4th line minutes and not 1st/2nd line minutes like the ones we gave him here when we tried him with the Sedins. He's more of a grinder, not a power forward who can constantly score.

cody hodgson

Don't you mean Burrows?

Jan Bulis jokes will always be funny. Always. I can't remember a Canuck who so constantly and consistently infuriated me. Easily the worst Canuck ever.

Mason Raymond is pretty much 1b.

Cody Hodgson :bigblush:

Rookie of the month says hi. Tell me, who was the last Canuck to ever have that honour from the NHL in recent history?

Edited by Markus Alexander Cody, 20 November 2012 - 11:14 AM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

View PostMarkus Alexander Cody, on 19 July 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#163 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

1. Martin Chouinard
2. Jiri Slegr
3. Jason King

There are probably worse but I can't think of many right now

Worst ever?

In 154 games with Vancouver, Slegr scored 77 points - as a defenseman. Jason King scored 12 goals in 47 games in his rookie season. By no means are they among the worst players to ever suit up as Canucks.

There are obviously lots of nobodies who have played a few NHL games with Vancouver, crapped the bed, and faded into obscurity. So I'd rather focus on guys who were considered solid NHL-ers, and then totally sucked in Vancouver.

My vote goes to Eric Weinrich - 16 GP after the 2005-06 trade deadline, and all of them absolutely terrible. Zero points, and a -12 (yes, in 16 games).
Posted Image

#164 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

As for the worst actual player, there would be so many guys who never made it out of camp or had one shift during pre season or whatever. Its way to hard to tell .

So I will have to go with who the worst player was in a canucks uniform in terms of the destruction they brought to the franchise.

There are several guys including

Russ Courtnall

Am I forgetting something? How did Russ Courtnall destroy the team?

Edited by nuckin_futz, 20 November 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#165 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Matt Pettinger
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#166 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,082 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

How could fans not expect a lot from a guy nicknamed "the messiah"?
Ah what the hell, he probably chose that nickname for himself.

I'm unfamiliar with that nickname. AFAIK, his nickname was "the Moose"...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#167 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'm unfamiliar with that nickname. AFAIK, his nickname was "the Moose"...

When the Canucks signed him, all that "we got the messiah" nonsense going around. You dont remember that?

#168 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,082 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

When the Canucks signed him, all that "we got the messiah" nonsense going around. You dont remember that?

Nope
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#169 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

None of the players mentioned are even close to the worst players.most hated maybe.The bottom third of the roster in the Bob Mcammon era is more like it.

#170 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Petr Nedved.

I remember reading that during prospect interviews they asked Nedved who he thought was the best player in the draft and he said Jagr. They liked that he was so modest and decided to draft him. lol
Posted Image

#171 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Petr Nedved.

Nobody complained at the time when Nedved was drafted .He only played for Vancouver for three years. He made the team at 19. Did you expect every 19 year old to produce like a Crosby? And when he finally produced he was in his final year of his contract in Vancouver so to say he was a borderline bust at 21 is a little iffy. The Canucks could have let him developed another year back in Jr instead of rushing him into the line up with big expectations.
I know you mention about Jagr ,Broduer,Tkachuk etc well thats highsight. Are you going to tell us that if you had the second overall pick you wouldn't look at Nedved who only played one year in the DUB and produced 65 goals and 80 assist for a 145 points?

#172 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Am I forgetting something? How did Russ Courtnall destroy the team?

I think it was more of a distraction to the team then anything else. Back in 96/97 season Russ let be known how his contact negotiations were going and how unhappy he was with his contract during the regular season.

#173 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

If you can remember their name............they probably weren't the worst.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#174 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Worst as a Canuck compared to his career is Messier. In terms of useless players who only survive one or two games there's simply too many to list.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#175 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Worst as a Canuck compared to his career is Messier. In terms of useless players who only survive one or two games there's simply too many to list.

I am not saying Messier wasn't a giant flop but in his defense he did win the team MVP one year. His injuries really slowed him down. If you extrapolate his ppg over an 82 point season he would have average 65 points per season. Far from spectacular but not awful.

He also killed close to 4 minutes in penalties per game. He was 36 when he started and 38 when he retired.

In his first season we had Bure who was still performing but Mogilny missed half the year. Messier was the only player other than Bure to score over 20 goals.

In his second season he put up 48 points in 59 games, 3 points more than Mogilny in the same number of games. There was literally no other talent up front other than Markus Naslund who had just blossomed into a 30 goal, 60 point player. Messier and Naslund put up almost identical point production that year. The only player outside of Naslund to score over 20 goals was Adrian Aucoin.

In his last year he still was on pace for 67 points at the age of 38, which would have given him the team lead over 82 games. Andrew Cassels proved to be a good fit and was playing between Naslund and Bertuzzi leaving an enigmatic Mogilny and...Schaefer... as wingers.

Messier did not meet expectations and was paid far too much for what he brought to the team. That said, it was kind of ridiculous to expect a 36 year old free agent to lead a terrible team to the playoffs. That team had no scoring depth, poor defense (Lumme was aging, Ohlund was still very young, mediocrity after those two), and four goalies that were at some point the starter. Burke and Maclean combined for an 8-26-8 record with abysmal save pct and gaa. The team would have looked a lot worse without the underrated play of Arturs Irbe.
Sig too big.

#176 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Russ Courtnall?

Hardly..

#177 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

Taylor Pyatt

#178 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,082 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Nobody complained at the time when Nedved was drafted .He only played for Vancouver for three years. He made the team at 19. Did you expect every 19 year old to produce like a Crosby? And when he finally produced he was in his final year of his contract in Vancouver so to say he was a borderline bust at 21 is a little iffy. The Canucks could have let him developed another year back in Jr instead of rushing him into the line up with big expectations.
I know you mention about Jagr ,Broduer,Tkachuk etc well thats highsight. Are you going to tell us that if you had the second overall pick you wouldn't look at Nedved who only played one year in the DUB and produced 65 goals and 80 assist for a 145 points?

People also forget (or didn't know) that Nedved was highly coveted by the Flyers, who picked 4th IIRC that year. (There was a connection in Philly with Hitch, who knew Petr from his days coaching in the Dub)

The story goes, Philly offered Vancouver Scott Mellanby to swap picks with them. As we all know, the Canucks declined, but there were many rumours at the time that Quinn had wanted to take the offer and draft Keith Primeau instead. As it happened, Primeau went to the Wings with the third pick and the Flyers took Mike Ricci with the 4th, but Jagr was still there at the time, meaning that the Canucks could theoretically have have Scott Mellanby and Jaromir Jagr instead of Nedved...

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

#179 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

He is just a fan who skated with them as a publicity stunt. Thats like saying Justin Bieber is a Leaf because he skated with them.

Bieber still wouldn't be the worst Leaf ever ;)

#180 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

The Mathieu Schneider thing didn't go over too well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.