vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec

Mark Spector Sports@SportsnetSpec
Seattle radio reporting that a group representing the Oilers, including D.Katz, were in Seattle touring Key Arena today. Will confirm.

https://twitter.com/IanKJR

Ian Furness@IanKJR
Breaking. A group representing the #Edmonton Oilers, including team president, owner was in Seattle today taking a tour of Key Arena. #NHL

Not sure what to make of this, relocation of the Oilers to Seattle?

Edited by vancanfan, 24 September 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#2 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hahahaha, probably just checking out what's going on down there

No way the Oilers would move to Seattle

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#3 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

POPULAR

Katz's people recently went back to Edmonton council looking to change the terms of the deal. Apparently Edmonton council was not to happy with this.

This sounds like a way for Katz to threaten city council.
Posted Image

#4 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

Katz's people recently went back to Edmonton council looking to change the terms of the deal. Apparently Edmonton council was not to happy with this.

This sounds like a way for Katz to threaten city council.

That's what I was thinking, the leverage angle.

#5 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

The Seattle super soilers
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#6 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

https://twitter.com/dantencer

Dan Tencer@dantencer
City of Edmonton fires back. Mayor Mandel to 630 CHED's @Scott630CHED: "I would say October 17 is the drop dead date."

http://www.cbssports...really-relocate

The talks have stalled, the animosity is high, threats are being made and it seems like the majority of people are against the ownership. No, we're not talking about CBA negotiations.
The Oilers have been working on securing a new arena in Edmonton for a while now, working with the city to try to find a way to finance a new state-of-the-art downtown arena. Rexall Place might have the best ice surface in the NHL, but it's hardly the best arena around at this point. In arena terms it's a dinosaur having opened in 1974. Thus, there is a need for a new arena.
What happens when you have a need? You need to have the money and as we so often see in sports today, and that's where the city comes in. After all, it's tough for anybody, save Bill Gates, to privately fund an entire sports arena from his/her own wallet.
For some time now, Oilers owner Daryl Katz has been working with the city to build a new arena. Thus far the city has agreed to pay -- get this -- more than $400 million for the arena costs. That hasn't been enough to finalize the deal with Katz, which was scheduled to cost $450 million. Delays in funding have increased the projected cost to $475 million. Costs go up, you know.
The stalemate has led to a standoff between the city and Katz. How bad is it? Consider this quote from Katz himself to the Edmonton Journal:

"If this deal doesn't work, what can I say, obviously all bets are off and we'll have to figure out what comes next. And I don't know what that will be."

Just in case you're having a hard time reading between the lines, the Oilers helped to clarify with a tweet from their official account, one which has since been deleted, but not before Pro Hockey Talk was able to capture it.

Here is the link to the story, which the Oilers retweeted. It almost reads as if it were written by Katz's assistant. That's another way of saying it defends Katz and the search for arena funding to the fullest.
The Oilers, threatening relocation? Yes, this is really happening right now. The argument is the same one we've seen many times before in sports: "If you don't build it, we won't come," or something along those lines.
But the only way this threat could ring more hollow is if it were the Maple Leafs or Canadiens making the threat. There is zero doubt about the passion of Oilers fans, which is also reflected in their revenue numbers, placing in the top 10 in the league. Despite picking first in the draft for three years running, the team still fills all the seats every game and they have a pretty rich history to their credit. Ever heard of these guys named Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier? I heard they were kind of good playing for the Oil.
The threat seems to be nothing more than a negotiating ploy, the same as what the NHL already has begun commenting on about nixing the Winter Classic way earlier than expected to put pressure on the union. It's similar to how the Penguins flirted with Kansas City to put pressure on Pittsburgh for its new arena. But does anybody want to see if Edmonton will call Katz's bluff?
This comes in an age where there is a movement to have more teams in Canada, not less. With Winnipeg's return a year ago, the country now has seven teams, and it is hopeful for nine as Quebec City and Markham each proceed in building new arenas despite not having teams.
Then again, there might not have ever been a better time to threaten relocation in the NHL. There seems to be a long list of interested cities in Canada, as well as Seattle and Kansas City in the States. If you're going to make a hollow threat, might as well make it when there is at least some semblance of it happening.
If you want to put any stock into it you can also point to the fact that after the lockout in 1994 two teams left Canadian markets (Winnipeg and Quebec City). And the Canadian dollar has come a long way since then, making it a comparison of pucks to baseballs.
Moreover, a team needs a place to play and the lease at Rexall is up in 2014. So in that regard, there is some teeth to the threat. You need a place to play and if the Oilers were to deem Rexall as not suitable anymore then the alternatives would have to be examined.
So let's just pretend here that the Oilers did move. Is there any doubt that a new team would be coming to Edmonton very soon again and probably retaking the Oilers name and logo? I don't think so. But without a new arena, Katz and some others do. More from the Journal:

Without the Oilers, Katz said, the city "would have to pay all the capital and operating costs, just like Quebec City will, just like Kansas City, just like Phoenix, just like Seattle, just like Hamilton, and just like other cities that would all like an NHL or an NBA team to subsidize their arenas.
"So, you see, in our view it is the team that acts as a subsidy for a city's arena, which is effectively infrastructure, not the other way around."

Just to clarify, Seattle's push for a new arena isn't proposing a massive commitment from the city, but instead from private finances via Chris Hanson.
Now I don't want to make it seem like Katz isn't putting in any of his own money here. Of course he is, it's just a matter it would seem of how much. He did agree to pay $5.5 million per year for 35 years to pay back some of the costs. Still, Katz is asking for the city and its taxpayers -- presumably many of them already spend money attending Oilers games -- to spend a lot of money.
Katz is doing his part to try to remain a sympathetic figure in this story. He came out and defended himself and the team's stance, selling the idea of a new arena as part of a project to revitalize downtown Edmonton, which would bring in a ton of money for the city. It just feels like the threat of moving the team: a bit hollow.
Hopefully what isn't hollow is Katz's belief that a deal still isn't too far off.
"I think we are close to realizing our vision with the city and I think if we work together and are reasonable, we can do so," Katz told the Journal.
"We have to move quickly, time is our enemy. The longer it takes, the more it will cost, and cost [increases] will make the project prohibitive for all of us."
In the meantime, the relocation threat will hang over the entire situation as Katz tries to use his leverage -- some like the people at The Copper & Blue would call it blackmail -- to get a deal done. The threat certainly appears to be nothing more than that at the moment and when it's all said and done it's very difficult to see Edmonton without a team.

Edited by vancanfan, 24 September 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#7 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

I doubt Edmonton would move to Seattle
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Researching arenas?

Much more likely than threatening moving.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#9 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

That would be sweet if they moved to Seattle!

#10 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Seattle's new NHL/NBA arena got approved today.

Also Gretzky has been spotted in Seattle a few times in the last month prior to today, and he was at the meeting with the Oilers brass. I think if this was a tactic the Oilers staff would not have been so quiet about meeting today.

When the Pens did this tactic a few years ago before they got an area, they released a statement saying they were meeting with Kansas City officials. Today the Oilers were visiting on the same day a new arena got approved, and touring an arena they will have to use temporally if they do move, AND they refused to comment.

But that is just speculation and my opinion.

#11 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

They should just move the Oilers to Seattle. Then I would get to see the Oilers too and not hate them as much because of the current Oilers fans residing in Edmonton.

Posted Image

#12 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Ask Cleveland Browns fans what they think about owners using this strategy. AM's bluff wasn't called, so he went to Baltimore and 5 years later, won a Super Bowl that should have been won in Cleveland. The team has consistantly been a contender. The Browns were "reborn" and have been a laughingstock.

The Oilers as a team seem to be on the same path towards greatness. They leave and Edmonton fans will feel what Baltimore fans once felt, and Browns fans currently feel.

Those who don't remember their history are doomed to repeat it.

#13 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Why would you move a team in a good market with stable ownership?

The point of moving a team to Seattle is to get a struggling team out of a bad market. Like the Coyotes.

Maybe Katz is looking at buying a 2nd team, who knows?

#14 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Oh man. That would be hilarious.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#15 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

I will laugh SOOOO loud if Oilers move to Seattle.

#16 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

There just putting pressure on the city of Edmonton to get things squared away on the new arena , There is about 5-10 american based teams that will the be the first to try there luck in Seattle .

The Canadian markets are what keep the NHL afloat and they cant afford to loose one of them and infact they should be looking to relocate a few more here
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#17 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Seattle Oilers?

Edmonton Coyotes?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#18 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Ask Sonics fans what they think about councils dragging their feet when their team asks for new digs and the balk. That's right, they leave and become a contender in another city.

Oilers fans need to tread lightly here and get the job done now, cause I don't think that Katz and co will be bluffing later this year.

#19 Jet_91

Jet_91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

This would be hilarious if it actually happened, but I would be shocked if it does.

#20 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

There's no doubt he could make way more money in Seattle than in Edmonton.

Katz was born and raised in Edmonton though, there's no way he would take the Oilers away from Edmonton.

He's likely getting advice from the group in Seattle about how to deal with city officials.

#21 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

i would probably wet myself

15fitjt.jpg

#22 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

That would be absolutely hilarious if he bolts to Seattle and then Edmonton gets stuck with Phoenix's team coming back lol

#23 6YPE

6YPE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

hmmm... maybe moving their farm team closer to home?

11s35sy.png

Sig by -Vintage Canuck-

#24 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

I wouldn't mind this. I won't have to hear from Oiler fans no more. But no way this happens. Katz is playing just using other forms of negotiating.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#25 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

Why would you move a team in a good market with stable ownership?

The point of moving a team to Seattle is to get a struggling team out of a bad market. Like the Coyotes.

Maybe Katz is looking at buying a 2nd team, who knows?

A 2nd team? C'mon. This is about corporate welfare. He wants the city to foot the entire bill of building the facility.

It's tantrum time now. Threaten relocation. OMG if the Oilers leave look at all those jobs leaving the city!!111

Corporations hold their hosts hostage all. the. time. Sports teams, manufacturers, essentially any large company will bleed bleed bleed to get every single advantage possible to line their coffers.

Cities often cave in because what else are they going to do? They need the tax revenue, they need the job source.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#26 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well everyone should realize by now that it isn't any picnic playing hockey in Edmonton. Not only the weather but simple travel connections add hours onto trips.

Seattle has hugh potential for any team that locates there. I have thought it would be PHX for months now. Smack me on the head but that makes to much sense.

#27 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

It would make the most sense to me if they were ginning up local excitement/interest in a Seattle NHL team. Gretzky, being the household NHL name that he is, on a high profile tour of Seattle's only relatively NHL sized, exsisting arena shortly after the new arena being approved seems like a publicity stunt more than anything else. No way Oilers move to Seattle.
But I will be the first in line (figuratively) when season tickets go on sale.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#28 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

lmao

Germany-2014-World-Cup-Final-Champions-W

#29 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,981 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

it would be better for seattle to get the oilers instead of the coyotes (and get completely new management in the process), but that'll never happen, unfortunately, as this was just a negotiation power move..

Edited by avelanch, 25 September 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#30 nlife

nlife

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

Negotiating tactic nothing more. Oiler fans have supported the team regardless of how crappy the on ice product has been. They still make money. Talking to other cities is the same thing that Mario did with Pittsburgh when he was trying to get a new arena. I just wounder how many people buy into this crap? Really now Bettman doesn't even want to move teams with no owner and are are financial sink hole. Now he's going to let Katz move the team because the city won't build a be arena?
Posted Image

The Benchwarmers

-------
Raj: The only thing I've learned in the last two hours is that American men love drinking beer, pee too often, and have trouble getting erections.

Leonard: Focus on the game, not the commercials, Raj.

Raj: I'm just saying, maybe if you people cut back on the beer, you could get out of the bathroom and satisfy your women without pharmaceutical help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.