The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doctor Who

Where's Wellwood

Doctor Who  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't believe there isn't a thread on this yet. Nearly 50 years old, 11 doctors in, and still going strong.

I'll admit that I'm a NewWho fan. I know almost nothing about classic Who. My first episode watched was an episode with the 9th doctor though I didn't really like it. My first episode that I enjoyed that really got me into the show was the episode "Closing Time" with the 11th doctor.

Who was your first doctor? Who's your favourite companion? Any questions about Doctor Who? Don't be afraid to ask.

So post all things Doctor Who here.

Just started watching when matt smith became the doctor. Have to be honest Karen Gillan was the reason I started watching the show, but I've been hooked since then. Pissed that I don't have cable in my dorm room to watch the new season, sounds like its been great so far

I've always been curious but too intimidated by the MASSIVE episode list

Generally, each Doctor has his own story arcs which don't usually cross over multiple doctors. So in no way do you have to watch every episode to 'get it'. Just start at the beginning of a doctor's reign and have fun.

If you want a fresher start, starting with the 9th or 11th doctor would be best as they both begin with a brand new companion whereas the 10th doctor shares the same companion initially as the 9th so there's a bit more carry over of plot there. The head writer also changed with the 11th doctor so you have a new doctor, new companion, and new writer. As fresh a start as you can hope for.

Just started watching when matt smith became the doctor. Have to be honest Karen Gillan was the reason I started watching the show, but I've been hooked since then. Pissed that I don't have cable in my dorm room to watch the new season, sounds like its been great so far

So you won't be able to see Karen's last episode then? Bummer.

there is a doctor who thread already... somewhere... not sure where.

David Tennant (10th doctor) is, by far, my favorite. He's closely followed by Matt Smith (the 11th). Christopher Eccleston (the 9th) was a bad actor and didn't fit the part, which is why I didn't really watch his season save for bits and pieces here and there. I'm also confident that's why he was replaced so quickly and he only got 1 season.

there is a doctor who thread already... somewhere... not sure where.

David Tennant (10th doctor) is, by far, my favorite. He's closely followed by Matt Smith (the 11th). Christopher Eccleston (the 9th) was a bad actor and didn't fit the part, which is why I didn't really watch his season save for bits and pieces here and there. I'm also confident that's why he was replaced so quickly and he only got 1 season.

Eccleston chose to quit b/c he didn't like the way the actors were being treated and he didn't want to be type casted in the future as 'the doctor'.

I've always been curious but too intimidated by the MASSIVE episode list

If you really want to get into it ignore everything before the 9th Doctor. My advise if you want to give it a test run and get a feel is an episode in season 3 called Blink. Then go back and start from the beginning of this current series.

Ecclelsten (9th doctor) was an ok Doctor but at the least a bit of a scenery chewer. David Tennant is who really brought the series back. (10th doctor and the one in Blink) Matt Smith however has turned it into something special imo.

You really don't need to know anything about the classic series nor would you want to put the work into watching them all. You wouldn't be able to anyways since there are so many lost episodes (and I think entire seasons).

Not as daunting as it seems really.

Eccleston chose to quit b/c he didn't like the way the actors were being treated and he didn't want to be type casted in the future as 'the doctor'.

Well in his words he quit because he "couldn't get along with senior people." Listening to interviews with many of the cast members and writers and such nobody will really say anything bad about him. He helped revive the series though which is a great thing...I stopped missing him less than 2 episodes into season 2 though.

Best companion in recent years has been Donna Noble (Catherine Tate). Having a companion who did not fancy the Doctor in anyway was a nice change. They acted more like siblings, which was a nice change.

Have quite a few favourite episodes, but "Midnight" with David Tennant was a lot of fun and creepy.

I've watched the recent seasons a few times now, and I think that the best season was David Tennant's w/ Martha Jones (although she was a bad companion) and Matt Smith's first season.

Although I like Matt Smith's take on the Doctor more than Tennant's, the seasons have been getting progressively worse for Smith. The first season was really great. Last year's season was all over the place, had maybe two or three good episodes, "The Doctor's Wife" by far the most interesting (written by Neil Gaiman).

This season has been really quite forgettable. I have all of them PVR'd and I don't remember what happened in the season opener. I'm attributing the quality the last two seasons not because of the writing or because of Smith, but due to his companions. There is a reason why the Doctor always has new companions every season, and that's to keep the Doctor always on his toes.

Amy and Rory were interesting the first season, but have since not added anything of worth.

i'm just glad that a new companion is coming in soon, especially since it's going to be Jenna-Louise Coleman (the "girl" inside the crazy dalek in the "asylum of the daleks"). that's going to be one hell of an interesting story, with him knowing that she will eventually become a dalek...

i'm just glad that a new companion is coming in soon, especially since it's going to be Jenna-Louise Coleman (the "girl" inside the crazy dalek in the "asylum of the daleks"). that's going to be one hell of an interesting story, with him knowing that she will eventually become a dalek...

Only if its a fixed point in time. Thats the only epsiode this season I've seen, and I think it would be possible for him to meet her before she went on the trip, therefore not becoming a dalek

I've always been a "Who" fan, but I never really got to watch the show much growing up (my bed time was always around the time the show would start.) When I got a little older I didn't really bother looking for it on TV... fast forward many years... and I came across the first episode of the "new Who" by accident and lost my mind that it was back! (I dunno.. maybe in a different time stream I was a religious fan that never missed an episode and that body merged with this body and... well never mind all that... would you like a jelly baby?)

so onto today's Doctor... disappointed. I don't think Matt is doing a bad job, I think the writing team is failing more than anything. I've grown tired of watching "Amy Pond... and friends" every week in hopes that Matt will take center stage and be more like he was in the first episode (BTW- I loved that clip above me when he first called them back.) And it's not that I don't like Amy... but she seems to always take over the scene from him... it's like the Doctor has decided to be "second fiddle" to her and just fixes things when she wants it.

As for watching older programs... I'd say start off with "The 5 Doctors" to get your feet wet. You won't know who is who and which assistant is which, but it gives you a general idea of what each doctor was like to start off with. From there I'd say jump to "The Key to Time" season (one whole season as one big story broken into smaller parts.) Then once you've seen how "8th grade school play" it was back then... then you can enjoy many of the other stories (plus it gets you used to the 30 minute episodes they used to do back then.)

Archived