The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doctor Who

Where's Wellwood

Doctor Who  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

there is a doctor who thread already... somewhere... not sure where.

David Tennant (10th doctor) is, by far, my favorite. He's closely followed by Matt Smith (the 11th). Christopher Eccleston (the 9th) was a bad actor and didn't fit the part, which is why I didn't really watch his season save for bits and pieces here and there. I'm also confident that's why he was replaced so quickly and he only got 1 season.

Here it is: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/205131-doctor-who/

9 out of 10 sci fi fans would agree

No in general I think it goes further than just sci fi fans. I know plenty of people who watch DW that aren't necessarily fans of science fiction.

IMO saying it's one of the best international shows on television is akin to saying breaking bad is one of the best shows on television. Breaking Bad is great but I think Who is a better show; it doesn't get much press over on this side of the pond however. Really though the idea of saying anything is the "best" when it's something subjective like entertainment is a little silly but there are some shows that do transcend their target audience.

i gotta admit, i got a little misty there at the end of last episode. great ending to some of my favorite companions; looking forward to the next companion

article-2197380-14CBF407000005DC-17_306x423.jpg

a LOT

all I ask is that they don't center everything around her to the point where The Doctor is a "sidekick" again.

• 2 months later...

Tom Baker (4th doctor) >>>>>> any other doctor.

Tom Baker (4th doctor) >>>>>> any other doctor

I've been going through a lot of the classic Doctor who (the ones I can find anyhow) and I liked Tom Baker quite a bit. Certainly my favorite from the classic series. It's tough to judge against the new series because it's really a different show in the sense that they have some quarters to rub together for production but my favorite all around is David Tennant. (Honorable mention to McCoy)

I've been going through a lot of the classic Doctor who (the ones I can find anyhow) and I liked Tom Baker quite a bit. Certainly my favorite from the classic series. It's tough to judge against the new series because it's really a different show in the sense that they have some quarters to rub together for production but my favorite all around is David Tennant. (Honorable mention to McCoy)

The old original series were dragged out too long, because they were too cheap to make more complete stories with new scenes, so what should have been condensed into one 45-minute episode were dragged out over four 22-minute episodes (even worse for the early black and white episodes). I'm sure Tom would look better if he worked with the new high budget fast paced format.

Cutest companion since Nyssa.

article-0-16797F3D000005DC-940_634x852.jpg

He has spent countless centuries travelling across time and space in his shabby police box, yet the idea that Doctor Who would ever contemplate retirement has been unthinkable .  .  . until now.

In this year's Christmas special, based on a long-lost script by the late Douglas Adams, the weary Time Lord has hung up his sonic screwdriver and conceded he has had enough adventure for several lifetimes.

Yet in case fans fear the worst, the Doctor is drawn from his torpor by the arrival of a new companion, Clara – played by Jenna-Louise Coleman.

And given the actress's back-catalogue of raunchy screen roles – including going topless in Room At The Top and portraying a lesbian bad girl in Emmerdale – it is little surprise her appearance reinvigorates the jaded time-traveller.

Head writer Steven Moffat says it is 'one hell of a story' – and one that has languished in the BBC archives for more than 30 years.

Adams worked as script editor on Doctor Who in 1979, before his Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy became such a phenomenon. He wrote three episodes that were filmed, but the idea that the usually indefatigable Time Lord might be ready to quit did not find favour with Corporation bosses, and his story line had been consigned to a footnote in Doctor Who history.

Now it has been revived, with the Doctor listless as he mourns the death of his last assistant Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillan.

'Douglas Adams was the greatest writer ever to have turned his genius to Doctor Who,' says Moffat. 'I remembered hearing the story about his script years ago and thinking it was a brilliant idea and sounded so great that, if I ever had the chance, it would be one hell of a story to tell.

'Being alone again isn't exactly a first for the Doctor, but for the first time he's admitting he's had enough. He's retired, withdrawn from the world and holed up in his battered old Tardis. No more friends, no world-saving, no more heartbreak.

It's a brilliant idea, and I can say that without arrogance because it wasn't mine.'

That is when Jenna arrives on the scene. The 26-year-old actress has been described as 'smokin' by her co-star Matt Smith and she has already been hailed by many fans as Doctor Who's sexiest ever companion.

A preview of the Christmas special screened during this year's Children In Need appeal revealed a clear chemistry between Clara and the Doctor, which Jenna admits is a 'flirtation'.

'She's drawn to the Doctor when she meets him and wants to know more,' she says. 'Clara is so clever, possibly smarter than the Doctor himself.

'There is definitely something between them, but she finds him amazing and ridiculous in equal measure. She's not intimidated by him, that's for sure.'

It is a timely new relationship, as Smith says the Doctor was at risk of becoming a 'grandad' figure, having been accompanied by two companions in the previous series, Rory and Amy. 'In the last series the dynamic had changed,' he says. 'Rory used to take care of Amy a lot so the Doctor became a weird old grandfather. He was ostracised in some ways.

'It will be nice having a different dynamic and Jenna is going to make a big impression as Clara.'

Jenna was shopping in a Marks & Spencer food hall when she heard she had landed the coveted role. 'I just remember a kind of bewildered excitement,' she says.

'After I hung up I thought I really couldn't carry on shopping, so I just put the basket down, left the shop and went for a walk to try to take it all in.'

Although she was sworn to secrecy by show bosses, Jenna admits: 'I told my parents Karen and Keith, my grandparents and my boyfriend, but they were under strict instructions. My grandma, especially, wasn't allowed to tell the entire hairdressing salon.

'I couldn't even tell my friends what part I was trying out for. I pretended it was for something called Men On Waves, an anagram for Woman Seven, because I was auditioning to appear in the programme's seventh series.

'I thought I was going to have to keep it secret for months so it was easier to tell them I hadn't got the role. I spun a web of lies.'

After she landed the role, Jenna received a congratulatory text from her predecessor Karen Gillan. She says: 'I had a message from her saying, “Good luck” and, “You're going to knock it out the park.” Then, because we film the series in Cardiff, she told me the best place to eat.'

Jenna had never watched Doctor Who before getting the part. Her boyfriend Richard Madden, who stars in the epic American series Game Of Thrones, says: 'I think I was more excited than she was when she got the role. I was like

“What?” It's one of my favourite shows. I'd love to be in Doctor Who.'

Filming for the Christmas Day episode, called The Snowmen, took place in August and fake snow was needed to make the Victorian London sets look suitably seasonal. After that, Jenna returns for a full series in the spring.

Mysteriously, she made her Doctor Who debut in September playing an entirely different character. As Oswin in Asylum Of The Daleks, she not only died but also turned out to have been a Dalek. Just how the writers will explain her return in a different guise has been kept under tight wraps.

Jenna has already proved herself an accomplished actress who is not afraid of risque roles.

She auditioned for Emmerdale shortly after leaving the private Arnold House School in her home town of Blackpool with straight As at A-level – and landed the part of lesbian schoolgirl Jasmine Thomas.

It was a role that developed into one of the soap's racier storylines when Jasmine had an affair with her best friend Debbie, fell pregnant by Debbie's father, had an abortion and then killed the father with a chair leg.

While on the ITV soap she started a two-and-a-half-year relationship with her co-star Karl Davies. At the time, he admitted: 'On her first day she walked into the green room at Emmerdale and I just thought, “Wow.” I fell for her pretty quickly.' By coincidence, Karl now also stars in Game Of Thrones.

After Emmerdale, Jenna was cast in the BBC's Waterloo Road, again in the role of a schoolgirl, despite being 23 – though the fact she is only 5ft 1in may have helped.

More recently she starred in the BBC's adaptation of John Braine's period novel Room At The Top, in which she appeared topless, and as cheeky stewardess Annie Desmond in Julian Fellowes's telling of the Titanic story.

Conscious of her height, Jenna says: 'I have to be careful about loads of styles because I'm short and curvy. I like more things than I can wear, like skinny jeans.

'For me it's about tailoring. I dress to show off my waist and shoulders, so strapless things are great.'

Jenna – who made FHM magazine's annual list of the 100 Sexiest Women this year – has been dating Madden since late 2011. Like her, he is an actor who is being tipped as a potential star of the future.

One TV colleague says: 'They are a good-looking couple and many in the industry feel that they are both going places.'

Faced with the inevitable attention her new role will attract, Jenna admits: 'I know there will be changes in my life, but I had to face changes when I did Emmerdale too.

'I feel really privileged to have been given this opportunity and to be a part of the Doctor Who adventure. I really can't wait. We're going to have a lot of fun.' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2248722/Jenna-Louise-Coleman-A-new-assistant-VERY-racy-roles-her.html

• 1 month later...

Archived