The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks hire Dan Cloutier

Everybody Hates Raymond

Liked Cloutier as a person, but was a rubbish goalie, regardless of what people think. He was easily in the bottom 10 goalies in the league during his time with the Canucks. His 30 wins 3 times is a lot compared to Joe Schmoes like you and me; but compared to other goalies in the NHL who played for playoff contenders, Cloutier's numbers do not look good.

goalie consultant ≠ goalie coach

And I couldn't agree with this more:

A comparison to Cloutier sure makes Luongo look a whole lot better...

When you look back, Cloutier was a legit starting goaltender for just three seasons. Yet, many regard him as one of our best. Conclusion: God-dammit our goaltending history is pathetic.

This is a homer hire. Nothing more. Nothing less.

His record wasn't too bad in Vancouver, it was the other teams he played terrible on.. lol His record was 109-68-23 with 14 shutouts and a 2.42 goals against average (208 games) with the Canucks.

Then again if our goaltending was stronger, maybe we would have went further in the playoffs during the Naslund/Bertuzzi/Morrison era. Oh well, I'm happy where we are now. The Sedins/Kes are great to watch, guess I'll have to wait till next season though to see them play.... %$#@ Bettman! :mad:

EDIT: Either way, congrats Dan. :canucks:

I liked Dan but I am not sold that this is a good move or not. The calibre of goalie does not mean they are agreat teacher, coach, consultant. He might end up being great but we will have to wait and see. For example: Wayne Gretzky best player ever, possilby worst coach ever. Its kinda funny, but I notice that the best coaches are ones that were average or below average players. I have no idea why but its true. So people judging this decision on Dans ability as a goalie is kinda weak. I rather see what he has proven as a consultant/mentor to judge this move. But I wish him the best of luck cause I like him and it is my best interest that he works wonders.

Felix Potvin would win 2-1 in a best of three.

The Canucks need more grit in the lineup....that's why they hired Cloutier.

Cloutier is probably the best fighting goalie ever to donn a Canuck jersey.From now on, it will be a prerequisite that all Canuck goalies be capable of joining in on the fisticuffs.

Was never really a Cloutier fan. You could honestly watch his confidence dwindle as a game/series went on. And once he lost his head and started swinging wildly at the nearest opponent, you knew that was it and the goals would start pouring into the net. I often wonder what could have been had Burke not been so stubborn.

Hopefully he has cooled it a bit and his lack of composure on ice doesn't translate into his new position. Goalies flying off the handle, albeit exciting, is not something I want to see in our up and comers.

I liked Dan but I am not sold that this is a good move or not. The calibre of goalie does not mean they are agreat teacher, coach, consultant. He might end up being great but we will have to wait and see. For example: Wayne Gretzky best player ever, possilby worst coach ever. Its kinda funny, but I notice that the best coaches are ones that were average or below average players. I have no idea why but its true. So people judging this decision on Dans ability as a goalie is kinda weak. I rather see what he has proven as a consultant/mentor to judge this move. But I wish him the best of luck cause I like him and it is my best interest that he works wonders.

Archived