Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks hire Dan Cloutier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
109 replies to this topic

#31 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,969 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

I like it. People were quick to jump on Dan as the source of all problems if things went south (gee, sounds familiar with our goaltenders), but he was a good goaltender and likely has something to contribute here.

Aside from his talents, he was also a pretty charismatic, likeable guy. Also liked his feisty, stand up for myself/my team side.

Met him at a Lions game once - he was on the sidelines with Trevor. I like that he'd bought into the entire "Vancouver" scene and supported the local teams outside of hockey.

http://www.theglobea...article4567601/

Posted Image

#32 t_ray99

t_ray99

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

CLOUTS! Welcome back!
Posted Image

#33 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,655 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Wish there was a way to get Sean Burke out of phoenix.

#34 KillerOrca

KillerOrca

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

FYI he was a goalie, not a forward

What he is saying is that even though Cloutier put up a couple 30+ win seasons, it was mostly because of how good our defence was at the time. I disagree, he was still a pretty good goalie (30+ wins is great and he did it 3 times?).

Also i think if he wasn't injured at the beginning of the 2005-2006 season he would have had a career year and we would have made a playoff run potentially, but we had to use Alex Auld for the remainder of the year.
The injury Cloutier sustained was career ending, he never got back into his game and when he was traded to LA he was on the decline and couldn't find his game again.
Posted Image

#35 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Wish there was a way to get Sean Burke out of phoenix.

I wish there was a way to get the Coyotes out of Phoenix.
Posted Image

#36 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Liked Cloutier as a person, but was a rubbish goalie, regardless of what people think. He was easily in the bottom 10 goalies in the league during his time with the Canucks. His 30 wins 3 times is a lot compared to Joe Schmoes like you and me; but compared to other goalies in the NHL who played for playoff contenders, Cloutier's numbers do not look good.

Nice guy and I do see this as a good move by the Canucks organization. As someone alluded to, the fact that he has a lot of negative experience in the NHL will actually help goalie prospects a great deal, especially when dealing w/ pressure (what to do and what not to do). Cloutier had to overcome a lot of roadblocks in becoming and maintaining a starting goalie job in the NHL, so he knows hard work and what it takes to succeed.

But again, as a goalie, forgettable (just not easily forgettable unfortunately).

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#37 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Good move for Cloots - I'm sure the media will have a field day with this one, but it's not like his job is to directly coach the future goalies.

#38 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

I doubt his stats as a player will have any bearing on his ability to coach. Two completely different professions. Do you guys remember Wayne?

I say Congrats on the new job Cloutier! Good Luck.

#39 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,676 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

A comparison to Cloutier sure makes Luongo look a whole lot better...

When you look back, Cloutier was a legit starting goaltender for just three seasons. Yet, many regard him as one of our best. Conclusion: God-dammit our goaltending history is pathetic.

This is a homer hire. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Posted Image

#40 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

The Canucks need more grit in the lineup....that's why they hired Cloutier.
Cloutier is probably the best fighting goalie ever to donn a Canuck jersey.From now on, it will be a prerequisite that all Canuck goalies be capable of joining in on the fisticuffs.

#41 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Liked Cloutier as a person, but was a rubbish goalie, regardless of what people think. He was easily in the bottom 10 goalies in the league during his time with the Canucks. His 30 wins 3 times is a lot compared to Joe Schmoes like you and me; but compared to other goalies in the NHL who played for playoff contenders, Cloutier's numbers do not look good.

Bottom 10? That's a little harsh isn't it?

Remember, this is from before ties were outlawed. 30 used to be the standard for decent goalies to get.

I took a quick look using 2001-2002 as an example. If you look at all the top teams in the league, most of their number one goalies were in the low to mid 30s for wins. Only a couple of guys like Hasek (41), Brodeur (38) and Nabokov (37) had more than that.
Posted Image

#42 roland

roland

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Funny Cloutier returns right after Lidstrom retires.

#43 miles.p

miles.p

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

And with this the Canucks have completed their backwards progress.

Rehiring dumb coach - check
Rehiring the goalie that killed any chances of WCE being successful and have a SC - check.

what's next: hiring Keenan as coaching consultant?

#44 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Rehiring the goalie that killed any chances of WCE being successful and have a SC - check.

Hiring you into a position that makes smart decisions

#45 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

??

The thing that killed the WCE chances for success was team depth, defence, The WCE's complete inability to play defence hence their crap +/- numbers and steve moore.

#46 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Lol, whatever works at this point
Posted Image

#47 Spankenstyne

Spankenstyne

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

A bit conflicted on this one. Time will tell if he works out in this role, willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for now. Stats aside he certainly brought a fierce competitive spirit which won't hurt to have around.

#48 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

goalie consultant ≠ goalie coach
And I couldn't agree with this more:

A comparison to Cloutier sure makes Luongo look a whole lot better...

When you look back, Cloutier was a legit starting goaltender for just three seasons. Yet, many regard him as one of our best. Conclusion: God-dammit our goaltending history is pathetic.

This is a homer hire. Nothing more. Nothing less.

" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#49 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

His record wasn't too bad in Vancouver, it was the other teams he played terrible on.. lol His record was 109-68-23 with 14 shutouts and a 2.42 goals against average (208 games) with the Canucks.

Then again if our goaltending was stronger, maybe we would have went further in the playoffs during the Naslund/Bertuzzi/Morrison era. Oh well, I'm happy where we are now. The Sedins/Kes are great to watch, guess I'll have to wait till next season though to see them play.... %$#@ Bettman! :mad:

EDIT: Either way, congrats Dan. :canucks:

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 25 September 2012 - 04:44 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#50 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

I like Cloutier and glad he has something to look foward to being back with the Canucks.

Side note, if Luongo gets treated here the way he does, Cloutier had no chance here...
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#51 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I liked Dan but I am not sold that this is a good move or not. The calibre of goalie does not mean they are agreat teacher, coach, consultant. He might end up being great but we will have to wait and see. For example: Wayne Gretzky best player ever, possilby worst coach ever. Its kinda funny, but I notice that the best coaches are ones that were average or below average players. I have no idea why but its true. So people judging this decision on Dans ability as a goalie is kinda weak. I rather see what he has proven as a consultant/mentor to judge this move. But I wish him the best of luck cause I like him and it is my best interest that he works wonders.

#52 Mollyworld

Mollyworld

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Felix Potvin would win 2-1 in a best of three.

Cloutier is probably the best fighting goalie ever to donn a Canuck jersey.From now on, it will be a prerequisite that all Canuck goalies be capable of joining in on the fisticuffs.

#53 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Was never really a Cloutier fan. You could honestly watch his confidence dwindle as a game/series went on. And once he lost his head and started swinging wildly at the nearest opponent, you knew that was it and the goals would start pouring into the net. I often wonder what could have been had Burke not been so stubborn.

Hopefully he has cooled it a bit and his lack of composure on ice doesn't translate into his new position. Goalies flying off the handle, albeit exciting, is not something I want to see in our up and comers.
Posted Image

#54 Mollyworld

Mollyworld

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I liked Dan but I am not sold that this is a good move or not. The calibre of goalie does not mean they are agreat teacher, coach, consultant. He might end up being great but we will have to wait and see. For example: Wayne Gretzky best player ever, possilby worst coach ever. Its kinda funny, but I notice that the best coaches are ones that were average or below average players. I have no idea why but its true. So people judging this decision on Dans ability as a goalie is kinda weak. I rather see what he has proven as a consultant/mentor to judge this move. But I wish him the best of luck cause I like him and it is my best interest that he works wonders.

Pretty simple really. Players like Gretzky, Espo, Brad Park, etc., what they do comes naturally to them. Not that they don't work hard at honing their skills, but they miss alot of the basics as it is instinctual. Al Arbour, Don Cherry, Pat Quinn, Mike Keenan, etc., etc, etc, etc, lacked some of the basics and had to work hard to learn it. They had to focus, pay attention to training, do everything they could to be better players. That shows in their coaching skills where you have less time to hone your skills as you will be fired immediately for poor results, as opposed to a marginal player who may be given years to learn their stuff.

#55 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

:picard: When his name comes up all's i can remember is a Lidstrom 60 footer and colossal meltdowns in the playoffs.

Edited by Hockey Fever, 25 September 2012 - 05:05 PM.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#56 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

As long as he isn't teaching them how to handle the puck behind the net, I'm ok with it.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#57 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Kirk Mclean would have been a much better choice but he'd probably be far too busy with his other endeavors.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#58 froskii

froskii

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

- Great young goalies can learn how to fight.
- Plus they can learn how to let in beach balls.

#59 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Kirk Mclean would have been a much better choice but he'd probably be far too busy with his other endeavors.

Or he's too busy in Colorado.

This is a good move for Cloutier. Always respected him.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#60 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Love this signing. Gillis has always said he wants to bring character guys into the organization. Even his critics have to agree that Cloutier is one of those guys. Welcome back Dan.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.