The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks hire Dan Cloutier

Everybody Hates Raymond

This is not time for people to judge his playing career. He wasn't hired to play for the Canucks, he was hired to help our prospects.

He seems like he's a good guy that can help mentor our young goaltenders, which can only be a good thing.

Why would anyone complain about this? Having a goalie coach for Lack and Cannata could help their development big time.

He's not gonna be there to tell Cory Schneider and Eddie Lack how to play goal. That will be Rollie Melanson's job.

He'll probably be based in Vancouver where his primary duties will probably be to scout the other team's goalies for the team. Fly out to Chicago when they have an extended homestand to work with them.

I like it. People were quick to jump on Dan as the source of all problems if things went south (gee, sounds familiar with our goaltenders), but he was a good goaltender and likely has something to contribute here.

Aside from his talents, he was also a pretty charismatic, likeable guy. Also liked his feisty, stand up for myself/my team side.

Met him at a Lions game once - he was on the sidelines with Trevor. I like that he'd bought into the entire "Vancouver" scene and supported the local teams outside of hockey.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hire-dan-cloutier-as-goaltending-consultant/article4567601/

Liked Cloutier as a person, but was a rubbish goalie, regardless of what people think. He was easily in the bottom 10 goalies in the league during his time with the Canucks. His 30 wins 3 times is a lot compared to Joe Schmoes like you and me; but compared to other goalies in the NHL who played for playoff contenders, Cloutier's numbers do not look good.

Nice guy and I do see this as a good move by the Canucks organization. As someone alluded to, the fact that he has a lot of negative experience in the NHL will actually help goalie prospects a great deal, especially when dealing w/ pressure (what to do and what not to do). Cloutier had to overcome a lot of roadblocks in becoming and maintaining a starting goalie job in the NHL, so he knows hard work and what it takes to succeed.

But again, as a goalie, forgettable (just not easily forgettable unfortunately).

Archived