109 replies to this topic

#91 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Terrible signing, sure some of his stats looked good but how could they not playing behind 1 of the best offensive teams at the time...he was exposed in LA.

Actually he was playing with a significant injury that LA never fully treated and then tried to deny, which ended up ending his career entirely.

#92 sprouticus

sprouticus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

? best offensive teams don't necessarily make goaltenders look good.
also, he won't be playing against LA - he'll be coaching young goaltenders.

i believe he meant cloutier made it obvious he was not a great goalie when he played horribly for the kings......not against them...lol. we traded him to the kings for a 2nd fround pick, and they gave him a raise and extended his contract before he played a single game for them. crawford was their coach at the time. I believe they later regreted their decision.

"P.S. Sprouticus doesn't know me, but the world will now know Sprouticus."
Taylor Code
http://insidethecode...posters-on.html

“Louie can shave in the morning and have a beard in the afternoon. I think the Twins have pretty weak beards. They should’ve started in September.”

-Brendan Morrison

#93 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

once a Canuck always a Canuck I guess

Bertuzzi/Morrison/Naslund must be thrilled there old buddy is gonna howl like a wolf

should be interesting :)

so long as nobody brings beach balls to the locker room..

Edited by VanCityScout, 26 September 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#94 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

lol @ the nostalgic people in this thread saying he was a good goalie. He really wasn't, in fact, he was in the bottom 10 of the league for starters easily. He let in soft goals frequently, very frequently. He would have made a good backup, but he was a fairly low end starter and his stats pretty much speak for that.

You can't really say that Cloutier would not have been a top 10 goalie on another team. The goalie stats reflect what type of team is in front of him....at least to a certain point. If he was playing for New Jersey, a team that played a very disciplined defensive style, Clouts would have had better stats. Stats are a very misleading indicator and only tell part of the story.

#95 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

honestly

Cloutier handheld the media back in the day
in front of the NHL cameras broad casted live across Canada and beyond

he always had that winning smirk on his face

he must have made like 2 bucks an hour
compared to Luongo's 10 million dollar a season :blink:

#96 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

Brilliant, we have now hired (as a GOALIE coach no less) the man who has the worst playoff save % in NHL HISTORY for a goalie with as many starts as Cloutier. I am speechless. Did any of the people here that are cutting him all this slack actually WATCH THE MAN PLAY?? He was mostly awful, but, hey, he did drop the gloves once in awhile which I guess makes it all good, right? Couldn't handle pressure, couldn't play the puck to save his life and was quite simply the easiest goalie in his era to knock off his game. A waste of money. Completely hysterical and utterly predictable. Next up: Markus Naslund as our Euro scout...

#97 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,948 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

lol @ the nostalgic people in this thread saying he was a good goalie. He really wasn't, in fact, he was in the bottom 10 of the league for starters easily. He let in soft goals frequently, very frequently. He would have made a good backup, but he was a fairly low end starter and his stats pretty much speak for that.

In 03/04 his S% among starters was 10th in the league at .914 right behind Broduer in 9th with .917. Considering Broduer played on a defense first team and Cloutier played on an offense first team it's rather impressive. Canuck fans are just to fickle to appreciate. It's far easier to "make it up" and scapegoat.
Posted Image

#98 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

This is a great article full of laughs and nostalgia regarding Clouts. I still cower every time I watch that Lidstrom goal.
http://blogs.theprov...yers-to-return/

Funny how many Canuck fans dwell on the Lidstrom goal. How many times did Cloutier make a great pad save on someone coming out of the corner unchecked.

The greatest center ice goal had to be Lemaire's against Tony 'O' with the Hawks. It led to a Montreal comeback and CUP winner. It didn't seem to hurt Tony's rep.

#99 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

this is great, cloutier was alot of the reason i stuck with the canucks through that west coast express era, it's true about him being the first good goalie we had since kirk, great idea to get him back in the organization for the youngsters.
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#100 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

Out with Luongo and in with Cloutier. The Hockey gods really do hate Vancouver.

Soon the bandwagoneers will be asking for their Ginger's head on a plate.

Vancouver will never win Stanley. Any chance they had left with Luongo. So be it.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#101 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:55 AM

Low end starter?

Three consecutive 30+ win seasons with Vancouver (REAL wins, not post lockout BS shootout wins)

Canucks never missed the playoffs when Clouts was playing.

He could still be playing if it weren't for Rob Niedermayer injuring him in 05-06. (That was one injury too many for Clouts)

You can point to the playoff numbers, but the Canucks back then were turnover city in the playoffs. The first two seasons with Clouts the Canucks were eliminated by the eventual Stanley Cup champs, and in 2003 the defense was so horrible it's a wonder either series got to 7 games....for different reasons respectively.

2004 went to Game 7 OT, and the only reason it did was because of injury...up until that point Clouts was playing well against Calgary. Canucks fans might remember him as a sub standard goalie, but one of reasons why Calgary was in the Finals that year was because Clouts was NOT able to finish the series.

I think the wins stat is a load of BS. Canucks were scoring at will with the WCE on that top line.

30 wins in a season. Whoopee doo.

#102 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,948 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

I think the wins stat is a load of BS. Canucks were scoring at will with the WCE on that top line.

30 wins in a season. Whoopee doo.

The teams best while Cloutier was here was 7th in league scoring. With Lou they've been number one in league scoring. Does that make Lou's wins a BIG "Whoopee doo"?
Posted Image

#103 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:41 AM

The teams best while Cloutier was here was 7th in league scoring. With Lou they've been number one in league scoring. Does that make Lou's wins a BIG "Whoopee doo"?

Certainly does. Wins for a goaltender is a meaningless stat

#104 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,948 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Funny how many Canuck fans dwell on the Lidstrom goal. How many times did Cloutier make a great pad save on someone coming out of the corner unchecked.

The greatest center ice goal had to be Lemaire's against Tony 'O' with the Hawks. It led to a Montreal comeback and CUP winner. It didn't seem to hurt Tony's rep.

Exactly. You'd think Cloutier was the first goalie to ever give up an embarassing goal. I don't even think that's what turned that series around for Detroit. Bowman did two things that turned that series around. After playing wide open offensive hockey the first two games he switched to trap/counter attack for the rest of the series. And he had "a talk" with the refs and the reffing was definitely in Detroits favor afterwards.
Posted Image

#105 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,948 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

Certainly does. Wins for a goaltender is a meaningless stat

I don't know that it's meaningless, but it is more of a team stat. The most meaningful stat for a goalie to me is save percentage.
Posted Image

#106 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

I don't know that it's meaningless, but it is more of a team stat. The most meaningful stat for a goalie to me is save percentage.

Totally agree.

#107 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Said it many times in the past and I'll say it again, If Cloutier hadn't hurt his knee in 1st round against Calgary in '04 we would've beat the Flames. He was playing great until he got hurt. Auld played good when he stepped in but I think Cloutier could have won us that series.

#108 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

Brilliant, we have now hired (as a GOALIE coach no less) the man who has the worst playoff save % in NHL HISTORY for a goalie with as many starts as Cloutier. I am speechless. Did any of the people here that are cutting him all this slack actually WATCH THE MAN PLAY?? He was mostly awful, but, hey, he did drop the gloves once in awhile which I guess makes it all good, right? Couldn't handle pressure, couldn't play the puck to save his life and was quite simply the easiest goalie in his era to knock off his game. A waste of money. Completely hysterical and utterly predictable. Next up: Markus Naslund as our Euro scout...

Yeah. It's common for ex-players to take up a role with the team they played the bulk of the career for. However, forget these losers. Management should seek out your expertise. You're clearly more qualified than they are.
Posted Image

#109 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Yeah. It's common for ex-players to take up a role with the team they played the bulk of the career for. However, forget these losers. Management should seek out your expertise. You're clearly more qualified than they are.

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#110 Wonder__Bread

Wonder__Bread

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

Glad to have him back in the organization. He was my old English teachers good friend and got to meet him a lot, really down to earth guy. Never thought he was that bad, but then again, when you meet a player your opinion changes about them, in this case he gained a fan.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.