Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

1. Canada

> Pct. population with tertiary education: 51%
> Average annual growth rate (2000-2010): 2.4% (5th lowest)
> GDP per capita: $39,050 (11th highest)

Canada is the only nation where more than half of all adults had a tertiary education in 2010. This was up from 40% of the adult population in 2000, when the country also ranked as the world’s most educated. Canada has managed to become a world leader in education without being a leader in education spending, which totaled just 6.1% of GDP in 2009, or less than the 6.3% average for the OECD. A large amount of its spending went towards tertiary education, on which the country spent 2.5% of GDP, trailing only the United States and South Korea. One of the few areas Canada did not perform well in was attracting international students, who made up just 6.6% of all tertiary students — lower than the OECD’s 8% average.

http://finance.yahoo...-the-world.html
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

One of the few areas Canada did not perform well in was attracting international students, who made up just 6.6% of all tertiary students — lower than the OECD’s 8% average.

I find this extremely surprising...
Posted Image

#3 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Well that sounds pretty good. We should consider the quality of education though. Many people have argued to me that the european grade school system is much better than Canada's (I can't really comment myself, but thats what people say), and there are many college/university programs that I consider more to be interesting to the student rather than an actual education. For example, I consider many of the people I graduated with (Business Admin Degree) to be far less educated than someone with even one year of University Science. In fact, a lot of the students who just did the two year Business Diploma and then quit were some of the dumbest people I've ever met.
Posted Image

#4 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hmm I have consistently heard that Canadian education beats American education. But have been told Canadian education is similar to European. So it's hard to say.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

I find this extremely surprising...

well if you go to UBC sure

but what about places like anywhere in the prairies lol

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#6 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

well if you go to UBC sure

but what about places like anywhere in the prairies lol

SFU.
But that is a very good point.
Posted Image

#7 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Interesting. Good news, for sure.

What I'm interested in, though, is where they got the stats from. I wonder which company/organisation did the numbers.

RIP LB RR PD

#8 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

I pretty much assumed this.

We had to learn English in school, even though I never even plan on going to England.

#9 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

SFU.
But that is a very good point.

I live in Toronto now and it's not much different from UBC. I don't imagine York to be much different either.

Between York, UBC, and UofT, that's 125,000 students right there.

Now, maybe the international student thing is relatively new and most adults who have tertiary education are white...
Moo

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

I live in Toronto now and it's not much different from UBC. I don't imagine York to be much different either.

Between York, UBC, and UofT, that's 125,000 students right there.

Now, maybe the international student thing is relatively new and most adults who have tertiary education are white...

Thats another good point, I doubt Canada had much allure to international students 20 years ago, with what was then (not quite as much anymore) a superior tertiary education system in the States so close by.

I'm sure the numbers of International Students is much higher currently.

Edited by Jagermeister, 25 September 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Posted Image

#11 CIA

CIA

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

I guess that's why many new university grads are working for close to minimum wage.
Posted Image

#12 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

When I was living in Germany in 1999-2011 I saw a report and they had a list of the top 100 countries with the best public school systems. Canada was number 1, so this does not surprise me at all.

#13 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Thats another good point, I doubt Canada had much allure to international students 20 years ago, with what was then (not quite as much anymore) a superior tertiary education system in the States so close by.

I'm sure the numbers of International Students is much higher currently.

You also can't assume that most or even a considerable number of the Asian students you see at UBC, SFU, UofT etc. are "International students". Most of them are likely just plain old Asian students born in or have immigrated to Canada.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#14 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

First world countries rule!
Posted Image

#15 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,026 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

It's too bad we have good education, and a 19th century economy.

I would honestly say Canadian businesses as a whole are far too conservative, don't like to take risks. And don't try to innovate, and expand.

Great for institutions like banks, not so good for other industries.

We need more Bombardiers, and other companies that make good wages for it's employees without depending on raw materials that we export, then buy back as finished goods for many times the price.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 25 September 2012 - 10:26 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.