The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most Educated Countries in the World

Nevlach

1. Canada

> Pct. population with tertiary education: 51%

> Average annual growth rate (2000-2010): 2.4% (5th lowest)

> GDP per capita: $39,050 (11th highest)

Canada is the only nation where more than half of all adults had a tertiary education in 2010. This was up from 40% of the adult population in 2000, when the country also ranked as the world’s most educated. Canada has managed to become a world leader in education without being a leader in education spending, which totaled just 6.1% of GDP in 2009, or less than the 6.3% average for the OECD. A large amount of its spending went towards tertiary education, on which the country spent 2.5% of GDP, trailing only the United States and South Korea. One of the few areas Canada did not perform well in was attracting international students, who made up just 6.6% of all tertiary students — lower than the OECD’s 8% average.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-most-educated-countries-in-the-world.html

Well that sounds pretty good. We should consider the quality of education though. Many people have argued to me that the european grade school system is much better than Canada's (I can't really comment myself, but thats what people say), and there are many college/university programs that I consider more to be interesting to the student rather than an actual education. For example, I consider many of the people I graduated with (Business Admin Degree) to be far less educated than someone with even one year of University Science. In fact, a lot of the students who just did the two year Business Diploma and then quit were some of the dumbest people I've ever met.

It's too bad we have good education, and a 19th century economy.

I would honestly say Canadian businesses as a whole are far too conservative, don't like to take risks. And don't try to innovate, and expand.

Great for institutions like banks, not so good for other industries.

We need more Bombardiers, and other companies that make good wages for it's employees without depending on raw materials that we export, then buy back as finished goods for many times the price.

Archived