The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Globe and Mail columnist Margaret Wente caught plagiarizing

silverpig

A blogger posted some pretty damning evidence that Margaret Wente, a high-profile columnist for the Globe and Mail, had been plagiarizing her work from other writers.

This has caused the Globe to take some disciplinary action against her (it's as yet unspecified), and for Wente to post a pseudo-apology entitled Globe columnist Margaret Wente defends herself.

She always wrote what, in my opinion, amounted to professional flame-bait in her column, and often comes across as elitist and snide.

It's particularly odd because Wente has blasted people for plagiarism in the past: "

Here’s Margaret Wente on slipping standards, lazy students and overpaid teachers:

“When I was a kid…if you were caught plagiarizing, you got a zero.""

Pretty damning evidence of her true nature. Looks like she has no remorse and only is 'remorseful' because she got caught. So ironic that she at one point commented about plagiarism.

She's likely just going to get a slap on the wrist.

I think the writing's on the wall that she was going to get called out by someone else after the apparent things she's been writing about her rival editors. She's made too many enemies. The real enemy is actually herself.

I got a kick out of this article from this article from The Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1261739--globe-disciplines-margaret-wente-over-plagiarism-accusations

...However, Wente acknowledged that, given changing standards in journalism, that if she was “writing that column again today, I would quote and attribute more carefully.”

“Over the past several days, serious allegations have been raised about the work of one of our columnists, Margaret Wente. Many of the concerns centre on a July 2009 column, and similarities in quotes in that work to those in a column already published in another newspaper,” said an internal note from Globe editor John Stackhouse.

Good thing she wasn't fired. Otherwise we couldn't be 'influenced' by her wonderful, enlightening opinions on stuff. Such as:

- "Recycling is a waste of time and money."

- "David Suzuki is Bad for the Environment."

- "A National Daycare Program Won't Do a Thing To Help Poor Kids."

- "The United States is the World's Greatest Force for Good."

Anyway, she can't be fired because she's an elitist and the Globe and Mail is also elitist. What we can do is stop purchasing the Globe and Mail, however.

I've been following this story very closely and my guess is that she has been plagiarizing for much of her career. As she got away with it more frequently the plagiarism became more blatant and more unscrupulous.

It's obvious she has an ego and this apology was forced by the higher ups at the Globe and Mail. I don't see any reason why she should retain her position. As a writer your only job is to create content for your audience to consume. Creators of any kind will always draw on inspiration from elsewhere but that doesn't mean you don't credit them and you certainly don't steal their work like Ms. Wente has done.

I've been following this story very closely and my guess is that she has been plagiarizing for much of her career. As she got away with it more frequently the plagiarism became more blatant and more unscrupulous.

It's obvious she has an ego and this apology was forced by the higher ups at the Globe and Mail. I don't see any reason why she should retain her position. As a writer your only job is to create content for your audience to consume. Creators of any kind will always draw on inspiration from elsewhere but that doesn't mean you don't credit them and you certainly don't steal their work like Ms. Wente has done.

Archived