191 replies to this topic

#121 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

Yeah, then Gillis just has to stick to his word, and give our young guys opportunity. We are getting older, and need to let our veterans teach the young guys to play at the level we've been at for the last 5 years.

I was very disappointed that Schroeder wasn't called up last year. Gillis said himself in an interview that he would be brought up some time during the year to play in the NHL. It never happened.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#122 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

I was very disappointed that Schroeder wasn't called up last year. Gillis said himself in an interview that he would be brought up some time during the year to play in the NHL. It never happened.

Yep, and then we had no real option for an offensive third line center once Hodgson was traded.

Depth at center is crucial. I don't know why he all of a sudden abandoned that philosophy.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#123 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Yep, and then we had no real option for an offensive third line center once Hodgson was traded.

Depth at center is crucial. I don't know why he all of a sudden abandoned that philosophy.

After the trade deadline we went for two offensive lines, one defensive and a energi line. We even picked up Påhlsson.

#124 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

After the trade deadline we went for two offensive lines, one defensive and a energi line. We even picked up Påhlsson.

Problem is you need 3 offensive lines in the playoffs.

The days of having a 3rd line of all checkers is over. There's too many talented young players in the league now that are playing on third lines. You need something better than a line of plugs to counter that.

Posted Image

#125 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

The days of having a 3rd line of all checkers is over. There's too many talented young players in the league now that are playing on third lines. You need something better than a line of plugs to counter that.

L.A Kings third line barely chipped in with any offense. Jarret Stoll 5 points in 20 games, sure he scored 1 key goal.
But Hansen had more points than that in our run and he's known more as a checker.

Blocking shots and full team defense wins over straight offense all day. Just ask the Flyers when they went from Pitt to New Jersey.

Subbancopy.jpg

#126 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

L.A Kings third line barely chipped in with any offense. Jarret Stoll 5 points in 20 games, sure he scored 1 key goal.
But Hansen had more points than that in our run and he's known more as a checker.

Blocking shots and full team defense wins over straight offense all day. Just ask the Flyers when they went from Pitt to New Jersey.

Just ask the Blackhawks when they cruised through to their cup win.

Strong third and fourth lines that can provide offense allows teams to attack in waves. After all, the best defense is a good offense.

Stoll may have only put up 5 points, but that doesn't mean he didn't provide offense. Having third lines that can keep the puck in the other team's end wears down the other team, and allows your top lines to rest. Our third line didn't do that nearly enough.

Blocking shots is not a good stat, it means that you're sitting back in your own end too much and letting the other team get chances. We want our players to be the ones shooting, and making the other team block shots.

Posted Image

#127 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

@TysonGiuriato: #Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen scored one goal in 23:03 of TOI in AIK's 2-1 loss today. Now has 15 points (12-3-5) in 29 games. #SEL

@TysonGiuriato: Heating Up: #Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen currently on a 2-game goal-scoring streak, 3 goals in last 4 games and 4 goals in last 7 games

#128 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

First off: that's got nothing to do with what I said. What I said was that we abandoned the three scoring lines-system for two scoring lines and a checking line. Therefore there wasn't any room for Schroeder on the team.

Also: people were complaining that we got pushed around too much in the playoffs the year before, and saying that we were too soft. So MG went out and got tougher and grittier. Then we run into the best defensive team (apart from Anaheim in '07) in the last ten years, and people start complaining that we need more scoring.

You guys need to stop whining!

Edited by Grammar Police, 09 December 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#129 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

First off: that's got nothing to do with what I said. What I said was that we abandoned the three scoring lines-system for two scoring lines and a checking line. Therefore there wasn't any room for Schroeder on the team.

Also: people were complaining that we got pushed around too much in the playoffs the year before, and saying that we were too soft. So MG went out and got tougher and grittier. Then we run into the best defensive team (apart from Anaheim in '07) in the last ten years, and people start complaining that we need more scoring.

Well you were originally responding to my comment where I was agreeing that Schroeder should have been given some experience earlier. My point was that when the Hodgson trade was made we could have had Schroeder at least as an option so that we wouldn't have had to make the Pahlsson trade.

Getting Pahlsson and Kassian didn't do a whole lot to toughen up our team at the time anyways, so having an extra offensive player would have been more beneficial.

If you wanna play a tight checking game like that, you better be able to have the depth scoring to step up when it counts. We didn't, and so we lost.

Posted Image

#130 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

This thread is about Jensen though, so back to that.

Jensen scored a ridiculous goal today in his teams 2-1 loss. Oooweee was it nice.

You're gonna wanna check this one out, it's near the end.

http://www.aikhockey...277/highlights/

Posted Image

#131 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Wow that goal was absolutey incredible.
Holy S***

#132 drummerboy

drummerboy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Wow. That was sweet. Can't wait to see him do it as an NHL replacement player. Haha.

#133 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Well you were originally responding to my comment where I was agreeing that Schroeder should have been given some experience earlier. My point was that when the Hodgson trade was made we could have had Schroeder at least as an option so that we wouldn't have had to make the Pahlsson trade.

Getting Pahlsson and Kassian didn't do a whole lot to toughen up our team at the time anyways, so having an extra offensive player would have been more beneficial.

If you wanna play a tight checking game like that, you better be able to have the depth scoring to step up when it counts. We didn't, and so we lost.

Hey, I'm not saying that it worked, it obviously didn't. Nor am I saying that I liked the idea. What I'm saying is that the reason Gillis traded Hodgson is so we could get tougher, and because he believed that having a defensive third line was a better option in the playoffs than having an offensive one.

I do agree, with that; with Malholtra injured, we really only have Kesler who's a good checking centre, and that really doesn't do it. Most teams have two good scoring lines (at least) and that would mean that we'd have to play Lappiere's line against one of them, which is something I don't see working out.

Besides, we have plenty of depth, Higgins would be a second liner on most teams, and Hansen I a damn good third liner, we've also got Lappiere who can score (game five of the 2011 SCF, anyone?) Kassian could also, potentially score some goals for us, and so can Raymond (although he gets a lot of hate around here).

#134 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Great speed, deke, and shot.

Anyone else get the sperm ad to start the video? It was in swedish, and it was funny.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#135 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Great speed, deke, and shot.

Anyone else get the sperm ad to start the video? It was in swedish, and it was funny.

Yep. :lol:

Today I learned how babies are made!

Edited by DeNiro, 09 December 2012 - 05:34 PM.

Posted Image

#136 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yep. :lol:

Today I learned how babies are made!

I was imagining it was little Nicklas being conceived, and then a flash forward to how awesome he is now. Like a before and after thing. Apparently he had good speed, deke, and shot as a sperm too.

Posted Image

#137 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

damn that was one hell of a goal
Posted Image

#138 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

He's a much faster skater then I thought. Very very nice goal. Indeed our top 2 prospect.

wth was that sperm commerical?

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord, 10 December 2012 - 12:34 AM.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#139 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

That goal was very impressive! I see a lot of confidence in his stride there. I can't tell for sure, but his average ice time seems to be increasing lately, so he must be getting more minutes.

Also, hard to tell where his defensive game is at. He is playing on one of the worst teams, so I'm taking the +/- with grain of salt.

#140 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

That goal was very impressive! I see a lot of confidence in his stride there. I can't tell for sure, but his average ice time seems to be increasing lately, so he must be getting more minutes.

Also, hard to tell where his defensive game is at. He is playing on one of the worst teams, so I'm taking the +/- with grain of salt.

Europeans in general have a crapty defensive system, afaik they do not use zone defense they just take the man which can get incredibly confusing once everyone starts crisscrossing in the D zone. On top of that, as mentioned; his team is BRUTAL! Im pretty sure the wolves would dominate them!

Posted Image

#141 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Europeans in general have a crapty defensive system, afaik they do not use zone defense they just take the man which can get incredibly confusing once everyone starts crisscrossing in the D zone. On top of that, as mentioned; his team is BRUTAL! Im pretty sure the wolves would dominate them!

Disgreed. I find the European game much more boring then the NHL, because I thought it was way too defensive. That being said, one thing I agree with. European fans think their brand of hockey is >>>>> AHL, but to be honest, I feel the opposite.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#142 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

AHL with the locked out NHL players, or without?

Posted Image

#143 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

@TysonGiuriato: #Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen scored two goals and added one assist for Denmark as the Men's National Team beat France 3-1 today.

#144 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,579 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

hmm, so he's playing for the men's national team, instead of the junior team. cool.

he's currently tied for 1st in points in international men's games with Datsyuk.
http://www.elitepros...nal&season=2012

not sure what tourney that is though...

#145 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

hmm, so he's playing for the men's national team, instead of the junior team. cool.

he's currently tied for 1st in points in international men's games with Datsyuk.
http://www.elitepros...nal&season=2012

not sure what tourney that is though...

Denmark is the only country that has played 6 games though. Russia has only played 2 international games.

So it's nice that he's scoring, but it doesn't mean a whole lot in comparison.

Posted Image

#146 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,579 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Denmark is the only country that has played 6 games though. Russia has only played 2 international games.

So it's nice that he's scoring, but it doesn't mean a whole lot in comparison.

3 of those games are from earlier in the season... the series with Norway...

Edited by avelanch, 15 December 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#147 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Under 10 games isn't much of a sample size, but he's on the same pace as Ovechkin. His numbers are similar to some of the notable NHL players on the list. He is on a team that doesn't have anywhere near as much talent as the other NHLers.

Posted Image

#148 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

A Danish beats French Toast.

Subbancopy.jpg

#149 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

I like them both. I couldn't eat a plate of danishes for breakfast though.

Posted Image

#150 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the SEL is traditionally a very defensive league. My opinion is that the SEL is a harder league to play in but AHL teams would beat SEL teams on average, at least currently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.