The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sikh Woman Defends Facial Hair After Photo Goes Viral

Sharpshooter

It was a great read OP until you added your anti-religion post script... Its fairly obvious that without her faith she wouldn't have been able to react the way she did. Next time don't ruin a good post with your anti religious jargon and just let it be.

**awaits for the jargon filled comeback :rolleyes: **

Religion is fair game. It was part of the reasoning of why she said what she said, and so it was fair to critique it, as I did. I was pretty respectful in my critique though....by my usual standards.

And as far as addressing your request for non-jargon, I hope the words I used are simple enough for even you to understand, though I may have overdone it with words such as "reasoning", "critique", and "is". Sorry bout that.

Perhaps you had trouble understanding when I said? Allow me to direct you to what I had said about what I was referring to:

...which didn't relate to separately addressing a poster's nincompoopery. Should I have perhaps used a different font for your comprehensive needs?

Glad you could stay on topic though and continue to worry about what I say as opposed to what the subject of the thread had to say.

^^^

Those of you taking pot shots at her miss the entire point of this thread/her response.

We get it, she is unattractive by some standards but the beauty in her is that hers isn't a shallow thinking and looks beyond the outer presentation to something much more meaningful - what the person is all about on the inside. And if we all adopted this thinking and cared little about appearance and focused more on the important stuff, it would make the world a better place.

To continue to make jokes after someone's obvious, sincere attempt to address the issue in a profound manner just makes you look small(er). Keep that in mind....(and on topic please - last warning before official ones are doled out).

Those of you taking pot shots at her miss the entire point of this thread/her response.

We get it, she is unattractive by some standards but the beauty in her is that hers isn't a shallow thinking and looks beyond the outer presentation to something much more meaningful - what the person is all about on the inside. And if we all adopted this thinking and cared little about appearance and focused more on the important stuff, it would make the world a better place.

To continue to make jokes after someone's obvious, sincere attempt to address the issue in a profound manner just makes you look small(er). Keep that in mind....(and on topic please - last warning before official ones are doled out).

Nope, contrary to your belief, I actually have no trouble comprehending your posts.

You say you were respectful "as per your usual standards" and I pointed out an insatnce where you weren't respectful in that very post. Seems like a clear violation of your "standards".

But if you don't like that, I could also allude to the many a posts in other religious threads where you call religious folk "delusional" or "idiotic" or some variant of those words.

Not very respectful either :sadno:

Again, for the sake of clarification and for your obvious miscomprehension of what I wrote in that my comment about respectfulness was specifically and wholely directed at religion, My critique of Balpreet's fundamentalist adherence to tenets as put forth by Sikhism, which in this specific case, was more respectful than usual, at least by the standards of respect that I usually show to man-made fairy-tale based ideologies. Nowhere, did I say that I would therefore be respectful to asinine comments made by posters. Generally, people who respond in a respectful way to my posts are reciprocally treated respectfully by me. It's a mostly standard rule of mine when engaging in a discussion with anyone. Hope this clarification is the one that sinks in.

How many individuals have you 'enlightened' by calling them 'idiots' and 'delusional' and 'followers of man-made fairy-tales'?

Have you considered that nobody actually cares about your critiques of their beliefs and that you are merely creating conflict and hostility between yourself and others while wasting your breath and time?

By special request, this thread is being opened (despite my reluctance to do so, we'll give it one more shot).

It is with the understanding that every single post be directed at the story only - not one another. No need to point out any wrong doing in thread, as there is a report button for that.

Anyone not following that fairly simple/concise direction will be warned, with the thread likely being shut down for good in that case.

No one is exempt, so keep that in mind.

I think Balpreet should be counselled on how to be more balanced in life. A Psychologist might able to help but it may take years of therapy because she has adopted very extremist values. The Sikh religion does not tell it's followers to limit themselves to being beautiful only on the inside.

Sikhism preaches common sense. This young lady needs to re think what her religion really calls for and some of the real reasons for keeping unshorn hair. She is clearly misled and misinformed. She is an extremist in the true sense of the word.

If Balpreet Kaur chooses to use whatever reason for keeping her facial hair, what does it ultimately matter? Why should she need a psychologist? Her choice doesn't (shouldn't) affect anyone else's life, it doesn't harm anyone. So now she has a mental issue and should be subjected to years of therapy because she has chosen not to change her outward appearance in order to satisfy ignorant and immature people in society? Or because she is somehow 'unbalanced' because of her decision? Her reason and justification for not changing her physical appearance is her own decision....a brave and courageous one.

And according to the logic of "I think Balpreet should be counselled on how to be more balanced in life. A Psychologist might able to help but it may take years of therapy because she has adopted very extremist values", a huge percentage of society should therefore be in counseling and be having years of therapy.

Archived