Bingo.

#32 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I don't think anyone should be ridiculed for their opinions or lifestyles but it happens constantly and many times unchecked on this forum. What makes this subject immune and special while others go into the ridicule pile?

The main focus of the subject I reckon. The main focus being the ability for a young woman to preserve her self-worth and dignity in the face of public humiliation. An attempt that had nothing to do with her religious beliefs, but for her outward appearance. Had the thrust of the subject been her religion, then the ridicule and criticism of her and her religion's hypocrisy, would have been easy pickin's as they are when the subject is about invariably any religion. But, that wasn't the focus here. This remarkable young woman's character and its affect on those around her, was and continues to be the focus.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#33 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

The main focus of the subject I reckon. The main focus being the ability for a young woman to preserve her self-worth and dignity in the face of public humiliation. An attempt that had nothing to do with her religious beliefs, but for her outward appearance. Had the thrust of the subject been her religion, then the ridicule and criticism of her and her religion's hypocrisy, would have been easy pickin's as they are when the subject is about invariably any religion. But, that wasn't the focus here. This remarkable young woman's character and its affect on those around her, was and continues to be the focus.

Yes. Like I said...

He's not really commenting on the religious aspect but more on the you shouldn't be a douchebag aspect.

I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#34 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

I love his comment "Put simply it was stupid. Making fun of people is funny to some but incredibly degrading to the people you're making fun of. It was an incredibly rude, judgmental, and ignorant thing to post."

That should be the unwritten rule of everyone here on CDC.
That is, we should all to think about that comment before we post something.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#35 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

That includes thinking twice before posting things that might offend people of different religious faiths?
Posted Image

#36 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

That includes thinking twice before posting things that might offend people of different religious faiths?

Nope.

Critiques of supernatural belief systems and those that believe in those systems are fair game.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#37 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Nope.

Critiques of supernatural belief systems and those that believe in those systems are fair game.

"Put simply it was stupid. Making fun of people is funny to some but incredibly degrading to the people you're making fun of. It was an incredibly rude, judgmental, and ignorant thing to post."

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#38 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

"Put simply it was stupid. Making fun of people is funny to some but incredibly degrading to the people you're making fun of. It was an incredibly rude, judgmental, and ignorant thing to post."

Your attempt to hijack the words of the perpetrator of the original attempt to humiliate and laugh at Balpreet's expense in order to seek cover for the ridicule your belief in fairy tales for adults is duly noted.

However, making fun of someone for their natural features or naturally normal, though culturally abnormal appearance is not akin to the choice one has when they make choice to believe in supernatural superstitions and then make covenants with imaginary beings, since the former doesn't have the affect on society as the latter.

Perhaps you could learn a thing or two from Balpreet in not playing the victim while belonging to an organization that has and continues to victimize little boys, denies human beings equal rights, proselytizes against the use of birth control and disease preventative measures, and which callously calls everyone a sinner while commanding they be saved or spend all eternity being punished and tortured.

I'd never make fun, nor laugh at the expense of these people for deciding wear certain garments, or to conform to some hairstyle or other bodily feature though.

Hate the sin, not the sinner, as it were. ;)

#39 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Your attempt to hijack the words of the perpetrator of the original attempt to humiliate and laugh at Balpreet's expense in order to seek cover for the ridicule your belief in fairy tales for adults is duly noted.

However, making fun of someone for their natural features or naturally normal, though culturally abnormal appearance is not akin to the choice one has when they make choice to believe in supernatural superstitions and then make covenants with imaginary beings, since the former doesn't have the affect on society as the latter.

Perhaps you could learn a thing or two from Balpreet in not playing the victim while belonging to an organization that has and continues to victimize little boys, denies human beings equal rights, proselytizes against the use of birth control and disease preventative measures, and which callously calls everyone a sinner while commanding they be saved or spend all eternity being punished and tortured.

I'd never make fun, nor laugh at the expense of these people for deciding wear certain garments, or to conform to some hairstyle or other bodily feature though.

Hate the sin, not the sinner, as it were. ;)

Likewise, maybe you can learn something from the perpetrator instead of trying to validate your disposition at times here on CDC.

Posted Image

#40 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Wow, shes deff got more bravery than me.
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#41 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Likewise, maybe you can learn something from the perpetrator instead of trying to validate your disposition at times here on CDC.

Shall we get back on topic, away from your musings about my disposition?

#42 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Shall we get back on topic, away from your musings about my disposition?

I was unlike yourself derailing thread after thread after thread - then when, in your eyes, someone else does it - you mini mod them to death....but carry on - it's obvious who has blinders on and who is actually learning from the topic at hand.

On topic: Humour at someone else expense is not humour.

Posted Image

#43 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,045 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

On topic: Humour at someone else expense is not humour.

Not true. See: physical comedy.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#44 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Classy.

Yeah, I know voicing an opinion around here rustles some peoples jimmies.
Posted Image

#45 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Much to the chagrin of some, my jimmies are unrustled, trust me.

The thread wasn't about the facial hair. It's about someone standing up to someone for what they believe in. What that belief is is irrelevant. She convinced the person making fun of her in front of the entire world eat his own words and apologize.

All you saw was a girl with facial hair.

Edited by SukhKular, 26 September 2012 - 12:50 PM.

I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#46 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Your opinion was one designed to ellicit a reaction. Don't pretend that you actually were interested in the topic at hand. You clearly also dismissed the warning about keeping childish opinions to oneself.

If you have anything on topic to opine about, then be my guest.

#47 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think she was able to handle the comments directed to her with grace because she saw it as an attack or test of her religion/faith and not a personal condemnation of how different from the norm she might be. Like others have alluded to that source of "strength" is a scary thing when it's based, to quote her, on "the divinity from within".

#48 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

I don't get it. Are we supposed to admire this person for standing up for her beliefs? Or are we supposed to ridicule her beliefs as well as her for having those beliefs in the first place? (Both i guess. Just have the second part start with 'Post-Script.')
Posted Image

#49 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

So I guess this would mean the end of Sharpshooter belittling religious folk now since he states so clearly how we should admire her for sticking up for her beliefs?
Posted Image

#50 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

I don't get it. Are we supposed to admire this person for standing up for her beliefs? Or are we supposed to ridicule her beliefs as well as her for having those beliefs in the first place? (Both i guess. Just have the second part start with 'Post-Script.')

You don't have to admire her for anything, if you don't want to. Many people, including myself, admire her ability to turn a potentially scarring and embarassing situation into one that showed the strength of her character and the eloquence, courage and dignity in the way she addressed those seeking to ridicule her appearance(not her beliefs per se).

The Post Script amounted simply to an author's perogative to critique the subject he's editorializing. If you'd rather discuss that critique than the physical attributes that started the event or her remarkable handling of that critique, then be my guest.

#51 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,045 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Funny thing is, that while her beliefs may have led her to having the inner strength to stand up to this ignorance, those beliefs are not required for that inner strength.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#52 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

So I guess this would mean the end of Sharpshooter belittling religious folk now since he states so clearly how we should admire her for sticking up for her beliefs?

Nope. I didn't spare her fanaticism and I won't spare anyone else's.

However, I admire the strength of her character immensely.

#53 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Your opinion was one designed to ellicit a reaction. Don't pretend that you actually were interested in the topic at hand. You clearly also dismissed the warning about keeping childish opinions to oneself.

If you have anything on topic to opine about, then be my guest.

Childish? Hardly. I think it's gross. Are we not allowed to post legitimate opinions around here without someone taking issue with it? What a joke. I knew it would get a reaction because that is how people are, but that's not going to stop me from posting, within board rules of course. There was nothing wrong with what I said. Quit crying.
Posted Image

#54 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

That girl exhibits great strength in her faith and convictions .. Sharpy is just testing to see how many folks here have similar "mettle" .. :lol:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#55 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Childish? Hardly. I think it's gross. Are we not allowed to post legitimate opinions around here without someone taking issue with it? What a joke. I knew it would get a reaction because that is how people are, but that's not going to stop me from posting, within board rules of course. There was nothing wrong with what I said. Quit crying.

Because you have a childish understanding. It's not your fault, you're simply ignorant of the unknown.

But, the reason I set out the warning was because childish reaction posts, such as yours, would detract from the issue being put forth, namely, Balpreet's handling of the situation and the affect it had on others.

You completely skipped that part and went for the childish reactionary tact. Did you not have anything more intelligent to respond with other that 'Eww, that's gross'? You leave little doubt thus far. But, as you've admitted to already, you knew you'd get a reaction, and that's what you got....congrats.

Ironically, the guy who reacted similarly as you, and who went on to laugh at her as well, learned much more and grew much more as a person than you seemed to have, by defending your childish response as legitimate. It may be legitimate on the playground, but perhaps not so much in a thread that's trying to celebrate the best of a person regardless of their initial reactions seeking to laugh at another's expense or the physical appearance of another used as the butt of the joke.

Maybe when you grow up one day you'll know what it is i'm speaking to.

#56 Dral

Dral

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Sharpshooter - you're more of a fanatic and extremist then she is.

#57 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Maybe she just reflects the fact that these people don't really care what antitheists think of them. Is it her character strength? Or is it just that your opinion on her or her beliefs has been deemed worthless as a default?

Besides, a constant attack on a belief system will only serve to inoculate it. This is why it is tough to convert a person with lifelong beliefs into one with no beliefs, or an unbelief.

No, the only way antitheists could've prevented her from having this happen to her (and she didn't really care in the first place) is to strip her family of their religious freedom, (perhaps kill them) and to program her 'correctly' from birth. Justifiable though, as religion is inherently violent, right?

After thousands of years, it should be quite clear why religous people have absolutely problem with sticking to their beliefs. You don't like 'em? So what? You attack 'em? They get stronger. You want them to lose their beleifs? They form stronger ones.

It'll take a major, possibly world-ending event for this to change.
Posted Image

#58 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Sharpshooter - you're more of a fanatic and extremist then she is.

Ok

#59 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

Maybe she just reflects the fact that these people don't really care what antitheists think of them. Is it her character strength? Or is it just that your opinion on her or her beliefs has been deemed worthless as a default?

Besides, a constant attack on a belief system will only serve to inoculate it. This is why it is tough to convert a person with lifelong beliefs into one with no beliefs, or an unbelief.

No, the only way antitheists could've prevented her from having this happen to her (and she didn't really care in the first place) is to strip her family of their religious freedom, (perhaps kill them) and to program her 'correctly' from birth. Justifiable though, as religion is inherently violent, right?

After thousands of years, it should be quite clear why religous people have absolutely problem with sticking to their beliefs. You don't like 'em? So what? You attack 'em? They get stronger. You want them to lose their beleifs? They form stronger ones.

It'll take a major, possibly world-ending event for this to change.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

#60 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

I had said, 'constant, weak attack', but then edited it.

I shouldn't have.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.